Game Warden

What photographic equipment do you own?

Which camera do you take on safari?   146 members have voted

1. 1. Which camera do you take on safari?

• Digital zoom compact
    • Digital SLR
    • 35mm SLR
    • DVD / Video
    • Combination of above

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

339 posts in this topic

Let´s cross fingers that the weather forecast´s not coming true.

They expect heavy rainfalls and thunderstorms :D in Northern Botswana on 7th November with up to 40l/m.

Open vehicle with no roof like in Kwando does not sound like too much fun. Let´s hope & see.

Dikdik, hope you're catching up with Tony. Enjoy Kruger.

Its arrived.. My twin Macro flash.. Guess who is going to the insect park for the weekend?

OH and Kruger trip booked and we are going. Yep, Hope to see Tony. I will bring big steak and lots of beers.

… and lots of beers.

Yep, you've got Aussie Tony well tagged. Say G'Day!

After trying several combinations of cameras and lenses I now take a Canon 30D with 24-105 lens and a 40D with 100-400 lens. I take about 40GB of compact flash cards in 16, 8 and 4GB sizes as I shoot in RAW and a back-up Hyperspace data bank. The gear travels in an ordinary LoweAlpine rucksack wrapped in clothing and I always carry a compact camera in a shirt pocket, currently a Panasonic TZ4.

I've tried travelling with padded camera bags but they take up needed space as they are rarely are usable for anything else. When at home I use a Kata 3N1-30 bag and carry more lenses, cleaning gear etc. On the expeditions I just take a Rocket blower and lots of microfibre cloths.

Oh and I carry a Garmin Oregon 300 GPS and geotag my photos.

My next camera will be a 7D but I'll wait for the price to come down a bit more.

Oh and I carry a Garmin Oregon 300 GPS and geotag my photos.
How are your experiences with the Oregon?

During my recent trip in Zambia I met two people who had an Oregon. I found the touch screen quite nice, but one guy told me that the device is a real battery eater. The second guy had a real problem - he couldn't download his recorded tracks from the device, only waypoints. I found myself sitting in a office in the middle of the bush in front of a Vista laptop (arrrghh) trying to help. We tried to download tracks from my 60CSx and it worked, so the problem couldn't be Mapsource but must have something to do with the Oregon's firmware. We checked the web but he was using the latest software versions, and we couldn't solve the problem. I recommended him to contact Garmin Support. Did you experience any similar problems?

How are your experiences with the Oregon?

Previously I had an eTrex Legend CX but broke the tiny on-off switch, so high on my priorities was the big button on the Oregon. As a GPS it is OK. I have dry skin so all touch screens can be a pain for me to operate, but it infinitely beats the joystick on the eTrex. The screen is clear and the sensitivity is OK but I cannot see increased accuracy in WAAS mode. I like its ability to keep tracks going when under trees or between tall buildings.

During my recent trip in Zambia I met two people who had an Oregon. I found the touch screen quite nice, but one guy told me that the device is a real battery eater.

I didn't think the battery life was so bad. I use the recommended lithium cells and they usually last a full day left on all the time. Maybe that is battery eating but it didn't seem that different from the eTrex or the 60's we used on the expeditions.

The second guy had a real problem - he couldn't download his recorded tracks from the device, only waypoints... <snip> ... Did you experience any similar problems?

Garmin are quite slow to update their software to talk to new models. I use a Mac and have never succeeded in downloading tracks from any GPS so I don't even try. I just put the GPS in mass storage device mode and manually copy the Garmin\GPX\Current\Current.gpx file that it creates. That contains all tracks and waypoints and is read by most geotagging software.

I just put the GPS in mass storage device mode and manually copy the Garmin\GPX\Current\Current.gpx file that it creates. That contains all tracks and waypoints and is read by most geotagging software.
Great hint, thanks. I didn't know that this works on the Oregon. Will send the info to Zambia...

To add one more to the Nikon camp...

I now use a Nikon D90 with Sigma 150-500, Tamron 18-270, Tamron 70-300 (for Macro), Nikon 18-105 kit. Planning to get a secondhand D80 so don't have to change lenses in the bush.

Would love a the Nikon 200-400 lens and 1.4 tele-conv as this combo seems to be THE Nikon setup for wildlife, but I think I'll need to win the lottery first!

Previously I used a Panny FZ18 (great bridge camera) which Mrs Whorty now uses to great effect.

Russell, did you get your new camera yet? How do you like it?

I have Canon. Now I use a mark2n and a 40d, 500, 300/2.8, 100-400, 70-200/2.8, 24-70, 16-35 & 10-22. The worst part is traveling alone and have to choose what to take. With the new airline/security troubles I'm not looking forward to flying at all.

Whorty,

Talk to me a little about the Tamron 70-300 for macro. What is the minimal focal distance? Can you drop a sample of your macro photo somewhere for me to see? I use the 100mm f2.8 Canon macro lens I also have the 50mm sigma lens and am considering the MP-E 65mm 1-5x f2.8. I use the Canon MT-24EX macro twinlight.

Macro is great fun, but I feel that I lose the magnification of little things. I have considered getting the extension tube, but feel that it may disappoint me again.

Does anyone else play with Macro?

Russell, did you get your new camera yet? How do you like it?

I have Canon. Now I use a mark2n and a 40d, 500, 300/2.8, 100-400, 70-200/2.8, 24-70, 16-35 & 10-22. The worst part is traveling alone and have to choose what to take. With the new airline/security troubles I'm not looking forward to flying at all.

Sundowner, it arrived on Firday. I did not have too much time to play with it over the weekend.

Will be taking the dogs out over the coming weekend and photographing a football match (soccer) too.

First impressions are very good.

As I started packing for my safari this weekend, I thought I would include what is in the bag.

Cameras

1D Mark IV

2 x 5D

Lenses

500 F4

70-200 F2.8

17-40 F4

Other Kit

Canoe Bags (fully waterproof)

Clamps

Tripods

Bean Bags

Flash

Better Beamer

Netbook

Jobo GVP

Polarizers

Little bit of cleaning kit

And for this trip, adapters to get power from the cigarette points.

Nyama, it's real name is Canon EOS-1D Mark II N and it's 5 or 6 years old.

That's great, Russell. I keep telling myself I don't need a new camera but my self won't listen. :huh:

Hari,

If your feeling strong enough the Nikon users I know thorouglhy recommend the 200-400.

Hi Dikdik

i was tempted to get a dedicated macro lens but the cheap Tamron 70-300 has a macro mode. It's only 2:1 magnification (true macro lenses are 1:1) but it's a cheap lens and hence cheap way to play. To be honest I only got the camera late last year so not played too much yet with macro but am looking forward to the insects coming back out in the UK.

Below is the type of shots I was playing with - I clearly need to practice lots!! Hopefully this year I will do even more. If I enjoy macro then I might invest in a faster lens but for now I'm happy with the Tamron.

post-6256-1263934263_thumb.jpg

post-6256-1263934388_thumb.jpg

1D Mark IV
Lucky boy. It's still not available in my country.

A dutch wildlife photographer I admire greatly called the 1D MarkIV a 5D MarkII in the housing of a 1D...It wasn't a full review of the camera, just a side comment in a story about a picture he took.

Hari,

If your feeling strong enough the Nikon users I know thorouglhy recommend the 200-400.

I felt even stronger, sold the 200-400 and upgraded to the 500VR.

As good as the 2-4 is, I really love this prime lens, quality of images and bokeh is superior, plus it's better ability to take TC's.

I do miss the flexibility of the zoom however.

I now have an EOS 1D MkIV but unfortunately it is in my office in Norwich, I'll let you know if it works!

I now have an EOS 1D MkIV but unfortunately it is in my office in Norwich, I'll let you know if it works!

Mine works, though did have to play with the AF microadjustments, it was front focusing slightly.

Mine works, though did have to play with the AF microadjustments, it was front focusing slightly.

Well that's a relief!

Hari,

Ken,

I am taking the 200-400 along with the 1.4 TC with me to the CKGR.

Hari,

Ken,

I am taking the 200-400 along with the 1.4 TC with me to the CKGR.

I am sure you will find that a great inprovement, it is my mate Andy's favourite lens. Do not forget a bean-bag!