See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Game Warden

What photographic equipment do you own?

Which camera do you take on safari?   144 members have voted

1. 1. Which camera do you take on safari?

• Digital zoom compact
    • Digital SLR
    • 35mm SLR
    • DVD / Video
    • Combination of above

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

337 posts in this topic

Alrighty then:

Canon in the lead with 10 users;

Nikon next with 5 users; and

Pentax and Panasonic joint 3rd with 1 user each.

For digital users, there's a great discussion going on about Storage devices & reliability here.

P&S Sony DSC H2 and H9 with at least 12x optical and IS--for me

But my real question is: Regardless of what you take now, do you ever think you will routinely visit Africa sans camera? I consider no camera more of an upgrade than new and improved gear, though I am unlikely to follow either ditch the camera or get a big upgrade.

To be able to just absorb the sights (sounds, smells, etc) fully without interfering gadgetry is to me as admirable as taking award winning photos.

I'm not there yet--just experiencing the African moment--and may never be, at least not by choice. But a mishap or theft might render me camera-less and therefore fully in the safari moment.

I thought I'd pose this twist on "What equipment do you have?"

But my real question is: Regardless of what you take now, do you ever think you will routinely visit Africa sans camera?

I really don't know.

I made my first two safaris without any camera and never regretted it. For the third safari I re-activated my old photo equipment, and for later trips I bought completely new equipment. The main reason: I don't have a visual memory and I wanted to have something that would bring those images (and memories) back. The downside: since then it's like "work".

Otherwise photos seem no longer of such importance to me. I havn't seen any picture from last year's trip so far, and even not all pictures from the trip two years ago. Visuals are no longer the main thing on my safaris, it's more something about vibes. So I can imagine that on a future trip I will leave all these gadgets at home (with the exception of good binos).

But my real question is: Regardless of what you take now, do you ever think you will routinely visit Africa sans camera?

I doubt it. I hardly go anywhere, let alone Africa, without a camera-- though that's the journalist in me as much as it is the photographer. I take nature photos mainly to please myself, both artistically and to enhance my memories of experiences and the beauty of living creatures and their unspoiled environment. It's strange, but I made my living out of the written word...now I much prefer looking at photos related to my experiences rather than anything written down, so a notebook is likely to be an afterthought when packing for Africa.

(edit) To update the equipment list: I've just added a second rangefinder, a Fuji GA645W (6 cm x 4.5 cm transparencies); and Yvonne recently replaced her Canon 1D Mk II with a 1Ds Mk II .

Well... since I don't carry a rifle in the bush anymore, I might as well carry a camera... :D

So I can imagine that on a future trip I will leave all these gadgets at home (with the exception of good binos).

We won't have the photo shoots of the bush camp trip reports if you don't bring a camera.

Panasonic FZ18 superzoom because its really light and got a great zoom range. Fuji F31FD for digiscoping when I need more reach or the light si not so good. Though I rarely use this cam on safari.

P&S Sony DSC H2 and H9 with at least 12x optical and IS--for me

But my real question is: Regardless of what you take now, do you ever think you will routinely visit Africa sans camera? I consider no camera more of an upgrade than new and improved gear, though I am unlikely to follow either ditch the camera or get a big upgrade.

To be able to just absorb the sights (sounds, smells, etc) fully without interfering gadgetry is to me as admirable as taking award winning photos.

I'm not there yet--just experiencing the African moment--and may never be, at least not by choice. But a mishap or theft might render me camera-less and therefore fully in the safari moment.

I thought I'd pose this twist on "What equipment do you have?"

No, but I'd be tempted to take a sketchbook as well.

I'm (mostly) a Canon guy.

Body:

Canon 5D (I've used it since 2006 – approx. 120.000 exposures and it has rarely failed me).

Lenses:

Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM

Canon EF 28-80mm f/2.8-4 L

Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L USM

Canon EF 80-200 f2.8 L

Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS USM

Canon EF 400mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Extender:

Canon EF 2x II

Flash:

Canon Speedlite 430

Analogue:

Hasselblad XPan with 45mm lens (panoramic – gives you the option to shoot on two frames of 35 mm film)

I'm not by any means sponsored by Canon, but if you haven't checked out the the new 5D Mark II, you should do so...

It is a truly amazing piece of hardware with a 21.1-megapixel full-frame sensor. It will probably kill the semi-professional

videocam market as we know it. It doubles as a videocamera. And it shoots in HD!

Two links to an experimental film that was shot with the 5D Mk II:

Reverie (the actual film by Vincent Laforet)

Behind the scenes of 'Reverie'

Enough of Canon praise. Now, do have a nice day!

:: hakan ::

Jan 2009 update (for what its worth... probably not much):

Canon still in the lead with 11 users;

Nikon next with 5 users;

Panasonic 3rd with 2 users; and

Pentax and Sony joint 4th with one user each.

I would add that my 5D is still performing well, even in the -12 C temperatures of last night.

How many of you take your cable release on safari?

How many of you take your cable release on safari?

I do...two actually, one for whichever 35mm camera I have the wide angle lens on, and one for my rangefinder.

Which reminds me...two of my cameras are now Fujifilm rangefinders, which would probably put the brand into nth position on ZaminOz's list. Is the list going to mention such minor placings?

And a further update...Yvonne did replace her 1D Mark 2 with a 1Ds Mark 2 but in the tradition of digital models becoming unsaleable junk (unless you're willing to accept peanuts), she had to retrieve the older camera from the secondhand sales shelf and return it to her armoury. She now has four DSLRs, with the 1D Mark 2 being kept in reserve for emergencies.

Our first digital cameras were Fujifilm S2s which cost us an arm and a leg. We still have them and they are operational but as with Yvonne's, not worth peanuts so on the shelf. Having said that, all our film cameras are on the shelf also as no one will pay money for them … Nikons, Bronicas, Hassleblads, Mamiyas

Anyway, does that make another vote for the Fujifilm brand? :P

Re the cable release, didn't take one last time but I am designing a new "doo fangy" thing for my camera which will need the cable release. Don't know how it will work but have to get some practice in soon.

Canon 10D and 400D bodies, and a 75-300mm canon IS lens; and a canon 100-400mm IS lens.

We've also got a sigma 170-500mm that will work with the 400D, but no the 10D (a chip problem in the lens, so I'm told. We don't really use it anymore, thoug, since we bought the 100-400mm, which is lovely). We also have a sigma 10-20mm (I think) wide angle lens, and a canon 18-55mm lens which came with one of the bodies. The 18-55 is good for throwing at vervet monkeys, but not much else.

I love the old 10D. Even though it doesn't have as many megapixel doo-dahs as the 400D it's got a nice robust feel to it and has been going strong for five years in the dust and the rain.

Must check out the info elsewhere about storage devices. I travel with a laptop to write my books, but I'm finding it's getting clogged up with pics.

I also have a tiny cheapon chines made pocket digital camera to take with me on walks, and for taking people snaps around the camp fire after too many beers.

So who's buying new gear? Now that Twaffle has her 7D, is anyone else upgrading?

So who's buying new gear? Now that Twaffle has her 7D, is anyone else upgrading?

I will confess.

Have pre-ordered a 1d Mark IV. Should be arriving by mid-late December :o

I am seriously considering upgrading both my DSLRs by replacing the Pentax K10D with the K-7 and the Pentax *istDs with the K-x.

Just waiting for prices to come down a little from the original release price.

I'll be buying my wife a new Canon body between now and our trip in February. Need an upgrade from her basic digital Rebel. Any recommendations for an upgrade that does not need to be professional quality? Her lenses include the 100-400 IS, an older 70-200 (to be replaced soon by a 55-250), a macro (don't remember the specifics), and a wide-angle (24 mm; 2.8).

Me? I get permission to use the point and shoot.

Assuming that you are sticking with Canon, I would assume that the logical upgrades would be to either the EOS 500D or the EOS 50D. Depends which features are most important to you and Mrs Pangolin:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_po...0d&show=all

I received my new Canon EOS 7D last week and will be using it on my coming trip to Botswana (Lagoon, Lebala, Nxai Pan) and South Africa (Kruger NP) starting Nov., 6th.

Had two 40Ds so far and will be selling one and taking one with me, so I won´t have to change lenses on the game drives.

Thomas

We can compare notes! What lenses are you taking on safari?

I will carry a Canon EF300mm L IS f2.8, a Canon EF 70-200mm LIS 2.8, 2x Teleconverter. Tamron 28-75mm and a Sigma wide angle, plus Feisol tripod and a lot of stuff. A heavy bag :D

Thomas

We will expect some great photos on your return! :D

I now have the 5D mkII as well and the 1Ds mkIII. So thats it for me.. but I also got a 100mm canon macro lens, but have been battling with it so much that I have ordered the twin head macro flash.

I wanna take some good Bug photos soon.

Hey Wild Dogger, maybe we meet in Kruger. I am working on making a trip there next week.