See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Game Warden

What photographic equipment do you own?

Which camera do you take on safari?   144 members have voted

1. 1. Which camera do you take on safari?

• Digital zoom compact
    • Digital SLR
    • 35mm SLR
    • DVD / Video
    • Combination of above

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

337 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of buying a 360 degree camera to take along on our next safari in addition to my 10 year old, clunky Panasonic Lumix - has anyone done this and what did think of the picture quality?

Getting a bit old, but just got my hands on a very good nikon D3 with under 80.000 actuations on it, cleaned and checked, two extra batteries. So then i have my camera #2 for my upcoming safari :-) Now i`m just a bit worried about the weight of my camera backpack.. D3&D4s, 200-400/4, sigma100-300/4, tokina 17-35 and some other stuff usually found in a camera backpack..

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

The weight on your back or the weight on the plane? If later, beside a carry-on most of the airliners are allowing also one piece of hand luggage. Meant to be a ladie's purse (or a laptop in modern times), but it can also be a D3 with 200-400 attached :) ! Congratulations on D3; it still is a respectable machine, specially in low light conditions.

Edited by xelas

Posted (edited)

Just got myself a nice bargain on a Canon 5DIII with only 1600 actuation's as a second body for my next trip.I hate only having one camera with me after spending all that money to go in the first place. It could of course be a first body as my original one is two years older with 40,000 actuation's. :)

The OH doesn't necessarily agree mind you. :rolleyes:

Edited by Big Andy

Lucky me, my OH actually request we are always bringing 2 bodies, even in film years we have never went on a trip without a second SLR body, and a P&S for just in case (today every smart phone can substitute most of the P&S for this purpose).

The weight on your back or the weight on the plane? If later, beside a carry-on most of the airliners are allowing also one piece of hand luggage. Meant to be a ladie's purse (or a laptop in modern times), but it can also be a D3 with 200-400 attached :) ! Congratulations on D3; it still is a respectable machine, specially in low light conditions.

The weight on the plane, my back can handle a good amount of weight :-) i`ll figure it out. Maube i just carry on of the houses with the wideangle in my hand, a couple og kg`s on those alone.. I`m very pleased with the D3, have tested it for a couple of days now. Impressive camera for its age, it almost feels even more solid than my d4s.

2 people like this

It's time to update my gear list - partially because it has grown stealthily and partially just because it's fun, like naming all your children or cats for someone.

A new body is due too but I can't decide among a Sony A7RII, Sony A99ii, and a used Canon 1DX - all are priced within $300 of each other at the camera stiore, there are excellent reasons for each that will finally balance my kit and I can only afford one of them. LIFE IS NOT FAIR! :angry:

Stuff I might take on safari only - and I won't take it all, even though I have a new bag.

Canon 5D Mk III

Sony A77ii

Sony A900 (now in semi-retirement with some well-worn parts, but still a great camera for the more static subjects and my older lenses love it)

Sony RX100 M3 "for the pocket"

Canon 400/4 DO II

Canon 70-200/2.8 II

Sigma 120-300/2.8 Sport

Canon 40/2.8

Minolta 400/4.5 HS

Sony 70-400 4-5.6 SSM

Sony 100/2.8 macro

Sony 50/1.4

Sony/ Zeiss 16-35/2.8

(all these are classic full frame lenses, crying out for a full frame body, even if they have all been superceded by newer lenses now) - but those II series Canon lenses are screaming for a body upgrade too aren't they? :unsure:)

Sony 16-50/2.8

Canon, Sigma and Sony 1.4x teleconvertors

Giotto monopod

Jobu Jr gimbal

Jobu ground pod

Bean bag

Manfrotto clamp

I suppose I could try to sell the Sigma and the Minolta to fund the new body?

Sorry this is supposed to be a list, not a crisis.

5 people like this

@@pault do you have names for them?

@@pault do you have names for them?

Best you don't ask that. We could be here a while.

1 person likes this

@@pault, what are your thoughts on the 400 DO II? Ever March (which is when my company pays out our annual bonuses) I start to dream about new camera equipment, and that's one that has caught my eye. I doubt if it'll be any time soon that I take the plunge, but it'd still be interesting to hear your thoughts.

I haven't had it long enough to give a verdict yet @@Zubbie15. The balance of weight towards the body compared to other long kenses is certainly good news for my back and it is sharp with closer subjects (haven't had a chance to try it with larger subjects at distance yet). How sharp I don't know as I haven't fine-tuned it to the body yet, but it's already "ooh" and it might be "wow" after micro adjustment. Once I get through my busy period at work I'll take it for a proper workout.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Only Nikon for Wildlife -- D5 (2 XQD option), D810(plus Battery Grip) and D500(plus Battery Grip) and 400/2.8E FL, 600/4.0E FL and 70-200/2.8E FL with 2 TC-14E IIs when needed - all camera have EN-EL18a batteries as their primary power source and I have never had a problem/need to change batteries during the day.

I have tried a range of zooms - 200-400 and 200-500 and found the result far far less appealing than the results I get by using a long prime and moving the vehicle.

I once took a tripod and sat on rocks next to a hippo pool on the Mara River for a couple of hours, but other than that I shoot from the left front seat or top of a Land cruiser safari vehicle driven by Wilson (Sun-world) or James (Entim Camp) with bean bags and an action plate.

I use a laptop (Macbook pro), two physical back up drives and try to upload 5-10 initial processed images each night to flickr and facebook. So far I have had no loss of images.

Examples of shots from my latest trip can be seen in my gallery/other posts here and my Masai Mara March 2017 specials

Edited by ajm057
2 people like this