Game Warden

What photographic equipment do you own?

Which camera do you take on safari?   146 members have voted

1. 1. Which camera do you take on safari?

• Digital zoom compact
    • Digital SLR
    • 35mm SLR
    • DVD / Video
    • Combination of above

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

338 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of buying a 360 degree camera to take along on our next safari in addition to my 10 year old, clunky Panasonic Lumix - has anyone done this and what did think of the picture quality?

Getting a bit old, but just got my hands on a very good nikon D3 with under 80.000 actuations on it, cleaned and checked, two extra batteries. So then i have my camera #2 for my upcoming safari :-) Now i`m just a bit worried about the weight of my camera backpack.. D3&D4s, 200-400/4, sigma100-300/4, tokina 17-35 and some other stuff usually found in a camera backpack..

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

The weight on your back or the weight on the plane? If later, beside a carry-on most of the airliners are allowing also one piece of hand luggage. Meant to be a ladie's purse (or a laptop in modern times), but it can also be a D3 with 200-400 attached :) ! Congratulations on D3; it still is a respectable machine, specially in low light conditions.

Edited by xelas

Posted (edited)

Just got myself a nice bargain on a Canon 5DIII with only 1600 actuation's as a second body for my next trip.I hate only having one camera with me after spending all that money to go in the first place. It could of course be a first body as my original one is two years older with 40,000 actuation's. :)

The OH doesn't necessarily agree mind you. :rolleyes:

Edited by Big Andy

Lucky me, my OH actually request we are always bringing 2 bodies, even in film years we have never went on a trip without a second SLR body, and a P&S for just in case (today every smart phone can substitute most of the P&S for this purpose).

The weight on your back or the weight on the plane? If later, beside a carry-on most of the airliners are allowing also one piece of hand luggage. Meant to be a ladie's purse (or a laptop in modern times), but it can also be a D3 with 200-400 attached :) ! Congratulations on D3; it still is a respectable machine, specially in low light conditions.

The weight on the plane, my back can handle a good amount of weight :-) i`ll figure it out. Maube i just carry on of the houses with the wideangle in my hand, a couple og kg`s on those alone.. I`m very pleased with the D3, have tested it for a couple of days now. Impressive camera for its age, it almost feels even more solid than my d4s.

2 people like this

It's time to update my gear list - partially because it has grown stealthily and partially just because it's fun, like naming all your children or cats for someone.

A new body is due too but I can't decide among a Sony A7RII, Sony A99ii, and a used Canon 1DX - all are priced within $300 of each other at the camera stiore, there are excellent reasons for each that will finally balance my kit and I can only afford one of them. LIFE IS NOT FAIR! :angry:

Stuff I might take on safari only - and I won't take it all, even though I have a new bag.

Canon 5D Mk III

Sony A77ii

Sony A900 (now in semi-retirement with some well-worn parts, but still a great camera for the more static subjects and my older lenses love it)

Sony RX100 M3 "for the pocket"

Canon 400/4 DO II

Canon 70-200/2.8 II

Sigma 120-300/2.8 Sport

Canon 40/2.8

Minolta 400/4.5 HS

Sony 70-400 4-5.6 SSM

Sony 100/2.8 macro

Sony 50/1.4

Sony/ Zeiss 16-35/2.8

(all these are classic full frame lenses, crying out for a full frame body, even if they have all been superceded by newer lenses now) - but those II series Canon lenses are screaming for a body upgrade too aren't they? :unsure:)

Sony 16-50/2.8

Canon, Sigma and Sony 1.4x teleconvertors

Giotto monopod

Jobu Jr gimbal

Jobu ground pod

Bean bag

Manfrotto clamp

I suppose I could try to sell the Sigma and the Minolta to fund the new body?

Sorry this is supposed to be a list, not a crisis.

5 people like this

@@pault do you have names for them?

@@pault do you have names for them?

Best you don't ask that. We could be here a while.

1 person likes this

@@pault, what are your thoughts on the 400 DO II? Ever March (which is when my company pays out our annual bonuses) I start to dream about new camera equipment, and that's one that has caught my eye. I doubt if it'll be any time soon that I take the plunge, but it'd still be interesting to hear your thoughts.

I haven't had it long enough to give a verdict yet @@Zubbie15. The balance of weight towards the body compared to other long kenses is certainly good news for my back and it is sharp with closer subjects (haven't had a chance to try it with larger subjects at distance yet). How sharp I don't know as I haven't fine-tuned it to the body yet, but it's already "ooh" and it might be "wow" after micro adjustment. Once I get through my busy period at work I'll take it for a proper workout.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Only Nikon for Wildlife -- D5 (2 XQD option), D810(plus Battery Grip) and D500(plus Battery Grip) and 400/2.8E FL, 600/4.0E FL and 70-200/2.8E FL with 2 TC-14E IIs when needed - all camera have EN-EL18a batteries as their primary power source and I have never had a problem/need to change batteries during the day.

I have tried a range of zooms - 200-400 and 200-500 and found the result far far less appealing than the results I get by using a long prime and moving the vehicle.

I once took a tripod and sat on rocks next to a hippo pool on the Mara River for a couple of hours, but other than that I shoot from the left front seat or top of a Land cruiser safari vehicle driven by Wilson (Sun-world) or James (Entim Camp) with bean bags and an action plate.

I use a laptop (Macbook pro), two physical back up drives and try to upload 5-10 initial processed images each night to flickr and facebook. So far I have had no loss of images.

Examples of shots from my latest trip can be seen in my gallery/other posts here and my Masai Mara March 2017 specials

Edited by ajm057
2 people like this

new piece of equipment have found its way to my ownership. Not photoequipment really, but a new laptop, as i was in need of one. I really didn`t plan on spending much money on a laptop, has been my thought all the time, but since i had to cancel my phototrip in june due to a bad shoulder, i got refunded the whole amount of the trip, so i though what the h'll, and shelled out for a microsoft surface book. So now i have a very very good laptop to bring on my trips for editing on the go, and the other stuff one uses a laptop for :-) 

1 person likes this