Tanzania's Southern Circuit: Selous, Ruaha, Katavi and more - August-September 2015

Safaridude

@@TonyQ

There are various EXIF Viewer programs available which will allow you to see the EXIF data if it is included in the photo.

Canadian Robin

I would be curious to know if you passed self-drivers in any of these parks.

@@Canadian Robin

In Selous, we may have had self-drivers but I am not positive. Self-drivers tend to stay outside of the Reserve (east of Mtemere) and come into the Reserve of game drives.

In Ruaha, we saw several self-drive vehicles. Often, they are ex-pat visitors from the nearby town of Iringa, we were told.

In Katavi, self-drive vehicles are extremely rare, the park being so remote. However, we saw one vehicle with a Kenyan license plate.

Canadian Robin

Thanks for the info. Is there a particular reason why self-drivers do not camp/stay within Selous?

Your photos are lovely and I am enjoying reading along.

@@Canadian Robin

I should elaborate. The camps that are positioned around the most popular and game-rich section of the Selous -- the lakes connected to the Rufiji River (going east to west) -- Lake Mzizima, Lake Siwandu, Lake Nzerakera and Lake Manze -- may or may not cater to self-drivers. Of the five or so camps around that area, I know that at least three of them (Selous Impala, Siwandu and Lake Manze) are of the full-service type. Again, I don't know if they take self-drivers… but I would think that self-drivers would tend to look for cheaper options...

There is a cluster of several camps near Mtemere (the eastern gate of the Reserve) that are priced well below the said three camps. (Mtemere is about 45 minutes east of Selous Impala Camp.) I believe those camps cater more to the self-drivers.

I am very pleased that you are mad enough to visit Lukwati, and to give us your insightful views on the situation there.

The photos of animals in the woods are superb (as are the others of course, but these especially so)