See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Should we go back to the same places or those which really need tourism revenue?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts
  • Local time: 09:02 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:14 PM

Good question, Game Warden.  I know for most people they have limited time and funds and so it's important for them to make the most of their trips. I totally get that.  At the same time, I agree with you that tourists dollars often go further in less developed areas.

I have been lucky enough to be a tour leader so I was actually paid to take people to parks, including some lesser known ones.  One of my favorites is Lake Mburo in Uganda.   While you're not going to have the boatloads of wildlife there that you'd see someplace like the Mara, this park is special to me because of how far it has come.  

A little about the park's history here: http://www.ugandawil...o-national-park

I always felt good about giving this park my money and I was amazed to see over the course of the 5 years I visited it just how quickly the wildlife has come back.

~ @ellenhighwater

Thank you for this informative post.

As I'd never previously heard of Lake Mburo this is very helpful.

Reading such information from experienced Safaritalk members broadens one's limited perspectives.

Tom K.

#22 Anomalure

Anomalure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Local time: 06:02 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:43 AM

For me, part of what makes safari so appealing is to contribute to conservation -- even in a small way, whether it is paying some park fees or spreading awareness of a unique and amazing place. While I love areas that are well-visited such as Laikipia and Ndutu and will doubtless visit these sites many more times over the rest of my life, my favorite and most memorable safaris are those to places remote, wild, and off the beaten path - those that I'm playing an integral in protecting by visiting whether by providing essential funds to run the park or increase morale of the local people or some combination of both.

Personally, I would much rather visit remote and seemingly marginal areas that offer a wilder experience with unique, little-known, and infrequently observed wildlife than visit the same area of the Mara, Serengeti, or Okavango over and over again. There are some areas - Dzanga Sangha in CAR and Zakouma in Chad come to mind - where each and every tourist makes an integral contribution by providing funds to run the park on a daily basis and building the morale of the local people (especially in the case of Dzanga Sangha, where so many are hoping for tourism to restart to regain their livelihoods). That said, I must say that Zakouma and Dzanga Sangha are not truly "marginal" in the sense that they both provide abundant wildlife and fantastic, albeit totally unique, game viewing from other safari areas. With that said however, I would even visit truly marginal areas such as Ugalla or Lukwati in Southern Tanzania (blocks of miombo with low density game) or Bangweulu and Kasanka in Zambia ahead of major game reserves as I see the unique attractions of these game reserves as more rewarding than more Big 5/Cheetah/Wild Dog encounters. All wildlife is amazing to me and I'll treasure a trip when I see Roan, Sable, Sharpe's Grysbok, Meller's Mongoose, and Angolan Genet just as much as the one on which I observe Wild Dog, Cheetah, Lion, and Rhino.

• Paolo, Caracal, optig and 2 others like this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.