Zimbabwe: Chapter Two

marg

@@marg

And part two was even better than part one!

Lovely cheetah and dog sightings. Lovely cheetah photos. Unbelievable lion/hyena action. I can't believe she stayed. Could it be because the cubs were nearby therefore she didn't want them to be left alone or have them follow her with the hyena nearby? Great shots capturing this event. No wonder it was your favourite day on safari.

@@CaroleE...another thank you! With all of the roaring that she did we expected to see more of the pride (adults) arrive., not her youngsters. I do not know how we will ever top this...but we will try.

@@marg

amazing lion and hyena pictures, and you definitely cannot have too many dog pics!!

@@Zim Girl...thanks and thanks also for the comment on the quantity of dog photos. Must say that they are my favorite animal and it's a real bonus when we find them.

a couple of corrections from the last morning's game drive....

@@ZaminOz....you are observant and I gave you incorrect information about the lioness's canines. As I have been told she has been around for a while and is possibly not the most skilled hunter, but is tough and a fighter. She has had recent (since we were there) injuries but recovered.

Also, the two youngsters are not hers, but are from two different litters of her sister.

@@marg

It is quite common for an aunt to get baby sitting duties while mum is out hunting. Although the two youngsters did look big enough to keep themselves out of trouble.

I have seen much younger cubs left unattended by their mother/pride in Luangwa and been told by the guides that they were big enough to know how to avoid trouble.

@@ZaminOz...evidently this mum goes away for longer periods than just for a hunt as I have been informed.

That was some interaction! An you were scared. Imagine the lion cubs.

@@Atravelynn...the lions had probably been in previous threatening situations. For me, other than the prior game drives, this was real drama.

• 2 weeks later...

@@marg

I'm a little behind the others, as I just finished reading your trip report. But, wow, what a time! Like everyone else, I really enjoyed seeing the photos and reading the account of the lioness and hyena episode. I had seen hyenas take away a kill from a leopard, but in my ignorance, I didn't think they'd try that with a lion -- especially a lioness with cubs to feed. But I guess there was strength in their numbers.

Thanks so much for posting your report.

@@Alexander33..you are welcome. It is great to go to Africa, to come back and to be able to report about exciting sightings. Thanks for reading it!

• 4 weeks later...

I can imagine this was your best trip and best sighting @@marg! It must have been pretty intense to watch the lion and hyena interaction, one you'll never forget for sure. Thanks for sharing your trip with us really enjoyed reading it! :)

I've already made my down payment for my trip to Pamushana in October. I'll be there for a whole week, needless to say your photos have made me quite excited about my trip.

Wow! I break my TR reading into segments, and there was an influx of Zim reports recently so I missed this one...but what a report! With all that hyaena action I need to book up to Malilangwe!

@@LarsS and@@Big_Dog...thanks a bunch. As you know when you go on a game drive, you never know what might happen. We will never forget what we experienced on this trip.

@@optig...Oh Great! I am very excited for you. Be prepared as it might be pretty hot. But, the good news is that hopefully the water in your plunge pool will have warmed up and you can enjoy it during your few hours of down time.

I'm not worried about the heat as the rooms are air conditioned, and there are two swimming pools in addition to the plunge pools. I choose to go in October because there were would be even fewer visitors than usual.

@@optig...other visitors. You hardly ever see anyone else other than the scouts or the employees coming to work.