jeremie

I have been traveling three times in the last months to the Mata Atlantica in South America.

The first trip was in the Misiones Province of Argentina to visit the Selva Misionera or Selva Paranense close to the famous Iguazu Falls, which is the name given to the Mata Atlantica rainforest in Northern Argentina.

I stayed in two private reserves and ecolodge and then visited the Iguazu Falls.

Have a look at the reviews of Surucua and San Sebastian de la Selva where I stayed:

http://safaritalk.net/topic/15321-surucua-lodge-misiones-argentina/

http://safaritalk.net/topic/15322-san-sebastian-de-la-selva-misiones-argentina/

20851627275_6621303478_b.jpgSelva Misionera by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

20232313174_2b1af9b543_b.jpgCarpintero Arco Iris by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

The second trip was in the dry semi-deciduous forest in the Fazenda Bacury, Sao Paulo State, Brazil.

21048257418_dea3437fb8_b.jpgYellow-billed tern by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

The third and last trip was much shorter. I had a short visit of the golden lion tamarins after 4 days on the beaches of Cabo Frio, Buzios and Cabo do Arrail just East to Rio de Janeiro.

21656592932_d630830b6b_b.jpgMicao leao dourado by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

I visited in July 2015 the famous Iguazu falls from the Argentinean side and the Selva Misionera, which is the name given to the southern part of the Atlantic Rainforest or Mata Atlantica.

The idea was to meet my brother who was coming from France to see me. Flights were cheaper to Iguazu than to Santiago, Chile, where I am residing. In Winter Central Chile is quite rainy and we have to go North to the Atacama to have a nice weather. I also wanted to get fine pictures of birds and discover the Iguazu falls.

Things to know:

Getting to Iguazu is quite easy. There flights from Buenos Aires to Puerto Iguazu in Argentina. Another option is getting to Foz da Iguazu from Sao Paulo or Rio de Janeiro in Brazil, and then take a short bus to cross the frontier to reach Puerto Iguazu.

It is today very convenient to bring US Dollars to Argentina. There is currently another economic crisis in the country.

The government is fixing the change rate with the USD but it is clearly no the real rate. This the reason why there is a parallel market with another change, also known dollar blue

When I visited the Perito Moreno Glacier in January, Buenos Aires in February and Iguazu in July, the official rate was about 1 USD for 9 Pesos, while the dollar blue was 1 USD for 14 Pesos!!!

Current rates are indicated on this page:

http://www.dolarblue.net

Of course, the rate is always better at Buenos Aires than in the provinces, but it is always convenient bringing USD and changing them in the country.

I do not feel it is risky to do so. Of course I would not change in the street in Buenos Aires (I was recommended one place by a friend living in there). But there was absolutely no problem in el Calafate or Puerto Iguazu.

To find one place changing USD, just ask in the street. There are even official places changing at the Blue rate, I don't understand how it's possible...

From Puerto Iguazu Airport to downtown, just take a transfer (paying in USD if you did not stop at Buenos Aires to change before).

I got to Surucua Ecolodge just after landing at Puerto Iguazu. Took the transfer to the bus station, change in the street my USD in Pesos (it helped me to save around 30% of my budget).

Adrian and Laura from Surucua Ecolodge will send you different alternatives to get to the lodge from Puerto Iguazu. There are different basic buses going to Andresito from Puerto Iguazu. Adrian will then pick you up and bring you to the lodge and hour North to Andresito (included in the price).

About the lodge:

The lodge is located inside the rainforest, on the bank of the Iguazu river, about 30 km over the falls. This was the property of Adrian grandfather. There was some fruit plantations and Yerba Mate in one part of the property which has now been sold. The forest has also been selectively logged and is thus a secondary forest of Palo Rosa and in the upper area. Closer to the river we can find a riverine forest with some marshy areas.

Today, it is a private reserve within the buffer area of Iguazu National Park. It is not uncommon to see mammals but not so easy. We saw one pigmy brocket deer while arriving to lodge from Andresito by night. We also had a very rare sighting of a couple of neotropical otters in the Iguazu river.

There was many footprints of capybaras in the marshy area of the reserve. We eventually saw one tapir footprint in the reserve, they are quite common in the national park as well as collared peccaries which can also be seen at Surucua (low probabilities).

Other animals present are opossums, coatis, pumas, jaguarundis, jaguar, capuchin monkey, agouti...

Wildlife in North-East Argentina:

Howler monkeys went extinct few years ago because of a severe yellow ever epidemic. Some locals sometimes reports some sightings but nothing was confirmed as far as I understand.

The jaguar is highly endangered in Argentina. There is an estimation of 200 to 250 jaguars for the country, including about 80 jaguars in the Misiones Province to the North-East of the country.

Poaching is still a big issue, as well as accident on the different roads crossing the protected areas. Little efforts are done by the Argentinean authorities. The foundation Proyectoyagarete (http://proyectoyaguarete.com.ar) tries to monitor the populations of the Yungas to Nort-West of the country and the population of Misiones. They try to reduce conflicts with cattle, find funds to develop crossing below the roads. The situation is stable in the Yungas and Misiones, while the population of the Chacoan region, to the North of the country, might be extirpated. This is very sad as centuries ago jaguars extended to the Northern part of patagonia (Rio Negro). Jaguars were to be found in the Mendoza and Buenos Aires Pronvinces. One of the last jaguar of Santiago del Estero were illegaly shot by the honorary President of the Safari Club International in 2006. But nothing was done.

http://www.redyaguarete.org.ar/cazador/

White lipped peccaries have almost been extirpated from Southern Misiones, while they are on the brink of extinction to the North of the province.

There are also good news:

- the Red Yaguarete foundation is reintroducing some peccaries in the Southern part of the province to increase preys densities are reduce risks of conflict with cattle.

- The Proyecto Ibera is reintroducing native species in the second largest wetlands of South America. Giant ant-eaters and pampa deers were the first to be reintroduced and those populations are closely monitored and supplied with further animals. Collared peccaries were recently reintroduced in the Rincon del Socorro private reserve in the Eastern Ibera. A female jaguar is currently waiting for a male in the San Alonso island jaguar breeding center, which is a pioneer attempt to reintroduce jaguars in the wild from domestic stock. The project is supported by the Leonardo di Caprio Foundation and George Schalller himself.

In the future, macaws, giant otters and tapirs will also be reintroduced to recuperate the ecosystem.

To get further information about the project have a look to:

http://www.proyectoibera.org/eng/index.htm

http://www.proyectoibera.org/download/boletines/boletin_rewilding_en_1.pdf

Activities:

The main activity lead at the lodge is birding on the trails of the reserve. Birds are very active in the early morning.

Adrian use playback to get the bird closer to the trail, it is sometimes quite hard to see the birds inside the dark and deep jungle.

The best period for birding is spring, birds answer really easily to playback, while in winter it depends on the species.

​However, birds watching is really easy at Surucua, while photography is harder. Professional flash is needed in my opinion in the jungle.

Surucua is an excellent place to observe manakins (I have seen 4 species including the amazing band-tailed manakin and swallow-tailed manakin), different lek are used by the birds. We saw different birds displaying while mating usually occur later.

Tucans are also very common at the reserve, as well as woodpeckers.

Night walk can be done to see the insect species, but do not expect anything like the Amazon. The Mata Atlantica is really quiet compared to the Amazon.

Lastly, we did kayaking on the Iguazu river, which was indeed a very nice thing to do. On the brazilian side of the river is the Brazilian Parque Nacional do Iguazu.

20663547168_8dbca332c2_c.jpgSurucua comun by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21735965060_3192f2cb47_b.jpg_JG03448 by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21933709261_9c27187cea_c.jpg_JG03452 by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

20851627275_6621303478_b.jpgSelva Misionera by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

20842090482_dce17dfe95_c.jpgBailarin blanco by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21735999600_32cebb41c1_c.jpg_JG03365 by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

20858822701_bdfce39655_b.jpgMariposa by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

20663603048_8b7d1f1141_c.jpgMariposa by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21737170279_e5102138ef_z.jpg_JG03372 by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21891139900_eb8be4e5f6_b.jpgMariposa by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22053203226_9785e36dc3_b.jpgCerquero de collar by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21456486344_2af67a9aca_b.jpgAraña by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21892822479_7c5661eb2a_b.jpgSurucua by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

Edited by jeremie

Your butterflies on the flowers are brilliant. How did you manage the golden lion tamarin visit? Borgeous photo of it! When I have investigated I am always told for one person it would be prohibitively expensive and that I should try to time my visit with a group trip and see if I could add on. This all seems so precarious and difficult to arrange in advance. So please share how you did it.

The neotropical otter:

21893169809_f557c7c211_c.jpg_JG03538 by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

A very bad pics but it's worth showing.

A male band-tailed manakin:

21893875319_cb95a941dc_z.jpgBand-tailed manakin by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22068301322_d75dea9e7e_z.jpgBand-tailed manakin by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

Edited by jeremie

@Atravelynn

It is actually quite easy to organize a visit but a bit expensive... The fee for the GLT project is 500 Reales for the group, the guide fee is 100 Reales per hour. It should be 5 hours so the total is 1000 Reales, which is more or less 260 USD per person on the base of a group of 1 pax. For 2 persons it would be 130 USD. I'll give further information later.

@@Anomalure

It is quite uncommon to see brocket deers around Surucua, we have been quite lucky to see one

I have seen another one at Bacury Fazenda in Sao Paulo, where sightings are very good to the point to be almost guaranteed if you focus on it.

Edited by jeremie

The second place we visited is the private reserve San Sebastian de la Selva, located South to Andresito, within the ecological corridor between the provincial reserves Foerster and Urugua-i.

http://safaritalk.ne...ones-argentina/

22080594565_1abbe4f4ff_z.jpgFinal Mapa by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22068103422_0300e40cc1_o.jpgFolleto interior by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21892691598_1b239ddebb_o.jpgSanSebastianTarifas2015 by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

The reserve is a formar cattle ranch bought by two argentinean photographers. The former pastures are in process of restoration, it is expected that in 2 to 3 decades there will be a forest out there. There are still good forests inside the reserves where birding is really nice. There three dams in which many capybaras can be found. By night they come close to the lodge and come very close to people. They are not really confident because of some few cases of poaching.

I loved San Sebastian, there is a really nice feeding platforms from where it is easy to take amazing pictures of different species, from the tangaras to the marvelous yellow fronted woodpecker. We have seen twice red-breasted toucans, one white-eared opossum. And many birds!!!!

Apart from birding or photography at the feeding platform, Néné offers visits at other reserves such as the nearby private reserve located within the corridor Yate-i, Foerster or the Uruzu gate of the Urugua-i reserve.

We went for birding at the small Yate-i reserve, another former cattle ranch which were restored by Néné some years before. The forest is really nice, we have seen a blond-crested woodpecker, a superb swallor-tailed manakin.

We also checked the different camera traps located in the different fauna crossing under the roads. We have been very happy to see the first footprints and pictures and registered in the crossing of the corridor. It means that they are working and allow the crossing between the two reserves, and thus reduce accidents on the roads.

20788944866_31f25009c3_b.jpgCarpincho by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

20232656233_966b94c9d3_c.jpgCarpintero arco iris - Melanerpes flavifrons by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21176633370_2b10796f89_c.jpgUrraca común (Cyanocorax chrysops) by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

20254726274_3e20e1ef3a_b.jpgSai arcoíris (Tangara seledon) by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

20232313174_2b1af9b543_c.jpgCarpintero Arco Iris by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

20228976044_982b48bc71_c.jpgComadreja overa by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

20235563844_23bde0427c_b.jpgCarpintero arco iris by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

20694928270_02d9701e55_b.jpgSai arcoíris (tangara selendom) by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21336718076_be8c01752d_c.jpgJilguero dorado (sicalis flaveola) by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

20726932639_9e0806623d_c.jpgCarpinteros arcoíris by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21363380145_fdb3f5d31c_c.jpgCelestino común (Thraupis sayaca) by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

Edited by jeremie

I then went back to Puerto Iguazu and visited a very nice place inside the city to look after hummingbirds.

The "Jardin de los Picaflores" (hummingbird garden) is a really nice place with tens of hummingbirds of 7 different species. Many photographers go there with a set of flashes to take some remarkable pictures. I tried to do what I could. Without flash and with bad light it has been quite hard to photograph them while flying but I got some few nice shots.

Every person and especially photographer must stop at the Jardin de los Picaflores before going to the Falls!

21395730545_fb331e2c43_z.jpgPicaflor corona violacea by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21208262050_12eeae1c92_z.jpgPicaflor bronceado - Gilded Hummingbird (Hylocharis chrysura) by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21399117595_ec2fcfc914_z.jpgPicaflor esmeralda - Versicolored Emerald (Amazilia versicolor) by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21211760088_7b69f1c4fb_z.jpgPicaflor negro - Black Jacobin (Florisuga fuscus) by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21212055420_924be8ba0e_z.jpg_JG05194 by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

@Atravelynn

It is actually quite easy to organize a visit but a bit expensive... The fee for the GLT project is 500 Reales for the group, the guide fee is 100 Reales per hour. It should be 5 hours so the total is 1000 Reales, which is more or less 260 USD per person on the base of a group of 1 pax. For 2 persons it would be 130 USD. I'll give further information later.

That's expensive but not impossible when one hour with a gorilla is $750 USD. No hurry on more info as I am not heading out to the tamarins anytime soon, but I will appreciate some help on how one might see these guys.chili sauce

Your bird shots encompass the colors of the rainbow!

Beautiful birds, and great photography! The Tamarin especially is a stunner. Very interesting report about an area I know little about. I've been to Iguacu, but just for the standard tourist sightings.

Excellent bird photography, even if without a flash. Nice to read about different places offering good birding around the world.

Your bird photos are excellent - really beautiful

@ jeremie

Thank you so much for posting this report. We are going to Brazil next June/July, and our visit will include time in the Mata Atlantica north of Rio de Janeiro, so this is very timely.

Like the others, I am astounded by your beautiful photography. That green-headed tanager is amazing! Am I correct that you used no flash at all, or was that just the case during your visit to the Jardin de los Picaflores? I ask, because the lighting in so many of your photographs is just superb, and I was assuming I would need to at least employ fill-flash to combat the shadows in the the forest setting (and flash is something I have very little experience with).

Looking forward to more! Thanks again.

@@Alexander33. Thanks for your kind comments. You are true saying I did not use flash at all. All the pictures you see, especially the green-headed tanager, were shot at feeding platforms where light is much better than inside the dark rainforest. Flash are definitely necessary (and better beamer highly recommended).

Where will you go? Are you planning to visit REGUA or Serra dos Orgaos?

@@jeremie, stunning photos and a great report, I do hope to see Iguazu one day and nice to see what else is in the area, oh and Hummingbirds are on my "wish list" too, thanks

@@jeremie

REGUA. We are booked for 3 nights, and I am considering adding a fourth, but not sure. Have you been there before or do you have a recommendation?

@Alexander33

Never been there. I tried to book at Itororo before visiting the GLTs but it was all booked by birders.

I was told REGUA is just amazing. Apart from birds, there are many mammals out there. The Golden Lion Tamarins are curently spreading in this sector.

Try to visit the GLTs, I will give further details later on in this thread. It is something very nice to do.

@@jeremie, tremendous photos! Really impressive. I look forward to reading more about your adventure.

I, like @@Atravelynn am interested in your GLT visit as well. I have contacted them for information about a visit next fall but haven't heard back.

@@Alexander33, thanks for cluing me into REGUA. Looks like a great place to visit someday.

I founds on San Sebastian's Facebook par this short video shot form a drone. It gives a good idea of the reserve.

Here are further pictures of San Sebastian

22085567976_9046ed0cfe_z.jpgCalandria grande - chalk-browed mockinbird by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22085559966_94c9018a31_z.jpgJilguero dorado - saffron finch by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22122101931_2b4c61c34f_b.jpgViudita Enmascarada - Masked Water-Tyrant by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22111737945_3dc1d69b45_z.jpgJilguero dorado - saffron finch by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21963567308_ea9df9d416_b.jpgLa laguna by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22138817602_c76b5b9966_b.jpgGreat kiskadee by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21964532149_c9c1465fca_b.jpgCarpintero arco iris - Yellow fronted woodpecker by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22138826292_09cfb1a065_b.jpg_JG03991 by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22125232416_b1669aab8c_b.jpgLa laguna by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22138804082_247ce420b2_b.jpgPuma plugmark moulding by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22161603471_6b0fa3d9c8_b.jpgSan Sebastian manager (Omar) by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21963272430_f8e73db481_z.jpgRuta 101 by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

Edited by jeremie

We went back to Puerto Iguazu crossing Iguazu National Park through road 101 using a private transfer. We did not see any animals but it is worth doing it to see the scenery. I have seen on Adrian's Facebook page (from Surucua) that he saw a jaguar the other day on the same road!

In the afternoon we went to the park and decided to focus on the Garganta del Diablo trail and the Paseo Superior.

There are plenty of coatis and black capuchin every were. Unfortunately people use to feed them.

Reaching the park is really easy, there are buses going to the park every twenty minutes or so. From the entrance to the falls you an choose to take a touristic train or go walking inside a secondary forest.

Main attractions, apart from the falls, are the Paseo superior and Paseo inferior were it is easy to spot birds, toucans, agoutis and monkeys. Coati are best seen around the restaurant.

The Macuco trail seems to be good to watch wildlife, I was said to take the first bus and go walking on this trail before all the tourist arrive in the park to have a good chance to spot manakins, agoutis and more.

Here are some pictures of the park.

22161598431_37758c41b2_b.jpgGarganta del Diablo by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21963260920_a13af6ceb5_b.jpgGarganta del Diablo by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

Trying to set the tripod...

21963552518_cdd5efed3f_b.jpgGarganta del Diablo by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21528581584_9c2ac62178_b.jpgThe gate by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21963533558_8a1171ab5c_b.jpgCoati by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21365168635_c8b6d2e407_b.jpgCampo flicker (Colaptes campestris) by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

20318397493_d3252271bb_b.jpgCoati by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21376180901_2806e7c6e8_b.jpgIguazu Falls (Paseo inferior) by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21181030900_157895932a_b.jpgPaseo inferior by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21181258358_e2b4eb791e_z.jpgSalto escondido by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21207972349_94dd471005_z.jpgCataratas de Iguazu by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

20947378131_d79b4ed3cf_z.jpgCoati by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

21530272513_d77714b673_z.jpgMono Cai - black-horned capuchin by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

Edited by jeremie

@@jeremie

Paseo inferior and Cataratas de Iguaze, have you used HDR or some other pp technique?

@@xelas

Yes I did, but I can get more or less the same results editing the picture on photoshop. The idea is using two pictures, one with a short exposure for the sky, one with a longer one (3-5 seconds) to get the silk effect of the waterfalls.

Some further pictures from Iguazu National Park... I have to find the time to select and edit a lot of pictures from Bacury, I will thus change the order of the TR and go on with the Golden Lion Tamarins and finish later on with Bacury.

21698003353_bf9777b1e9_b.jpgSalto San Martin by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22331577681_4f1e0e4bc8_b.jpgSalto San Martin by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22293053426_26094d6049_b.jpgCoati by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22320493595_ccd5b3836a_b.jpgSalto Bosseti by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22293050036_018eaf1682_b.jpgGarganta del DIablo by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22329668441_75923708af_z.jpgMono Cai - black-horned capuchin by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

In late July, we decided to go back to Rio de Janeiro to stay at the beach.

We had already been to Ilha Grande, a hidden paradise where no car run on an island covered by native forest. One place I really recommend, with lovely beaches (including the famous Lopes Mendes), very few persons apart from weekend and holidays, great diving possibilities. No car run on the island, which is totally covered by native forest.

This time, we decided to go to Cabo Frio, located East to Rio, between Arraial do Cabo and Buzios.

I have to say I did not like so much the white sand beaches, there are overcrowded and I just can't bare it.

We had also planed to visit one of the few groups of Golden Lion Tamarins, once the most endangered species of monkeys of the new world.

This species of tamarins used to live in the lowland rainforest of Rio de Janeiro. This area once covered around 3000 km2, but only 2% of this habitat is available in highly fragmented patches of forest.

In the 60's, loss of habitat because of logging, as well as conversion of native forest for agriculture led the GLT to the brink of extinction. Another threat was the capture of wild specimen for zoos and the the pet trade.

The situation was simply dramatic, as there was only 200 GLTs left in the wild, and none of them was inside any protected areas.

In 1983 was then launched the Golden Lion Tamarin project to save the species. If the pet trade led the wild population to the brink of extinction, this also allowed to save genetics of the species and a plan was drawn to reintroduce zoo kept specimen in the wild.

146 tamarins were reintroduced in the wild from 43 different institutions, including 41 zoos throughout the world. Combined with effective protection on site either on private land or in protected areas of the state of Rio de Janeiro, this helped the population to boost, at the point there are now and estimated 3200 specimens in the wild, according to last year survey.

The goal to reach 2000 golden lion tamarins by 2025 has been reached 10 years before.

But we still have to work hard to connect all the fragments of forest where they live, the goal is to connect 250 km2.

Treats are still present, especially urban expansion leading to loss of habitat and fragmentation. But there are some good news. This year, the motorway under construction, from Rio de Janeiro to Espiritu Santo, will provide some under or over faunal passes to allow wild animals to cross safely the motorway.

GLTs were also lastly reported in the lower areas of the Serra do Mar...

There is a lot of information on the oficial website (Also check the brazilian website, it is more complete and updated)

http://savetheliontamarin.org/faqs/

One group of GLTs is currently opened to visits. In order to monitor the reintroduced groups, some tamarins wear radio collars which help a lot to find them. Some scientists from the NGO track the monkey so that seeing them is 100% guaranteed.

You have to contact one oficial guide (available on the website) to organize a visit.

Prices are quite expensive, I asked the very helpful Regina Ribeiro to recommend me one guide as first prices I got were just to high for stay in my budget.

Eugenio from RioNative (eugenio@rionative.com) quickly answered to my mails and did all the coordination with the Project. We decided to meet at Cabo Frio so that we would no have to go back to Rio to meet him, and then go back East to Selva Jardim and Poça das Antas where all the groups are located. We stayed in one small pousada in Aldeia Velha instead of staying at Cabo Frio and get up early.

The tour started at 9:00 am at Embaú where the only group available to the public is located, about 30 minutes east to Poça das Antas.

We are allowed to stay two hours with the group, which is indeed largely sufficient to observe the monkeys looking for food. It was particularly interesting to see them with their long fingers looking for insects inside dead wood.

There was also some invasive common marmoset in the same area. They do not seem to compete directly with the GLTs as they are living together, and if they seem to look for the same food, GLTs are clearly dominant.

Price was 500 Reales (per group) for the project, and Eugenio price is 100 Reales per hour. If I had to do it again, I guess I would have stayed back to Rio in order to save money, a half day tours should be 400 Reales, which is half price that the one the had by meeting us at Cabo Frio and staying in the charming Acacia Imperial Pousada at Aldeia Velha.

The budget was:

- 500 Reales for the project (providing scientific information and tracking the GLTS / price per group).

- 800 Reales for Eugenio (providing transport, basic guiding and booking with the project).

- 200 Reales (one room at Aldeia Velha).

- 200 Reales (Eugenio's room).

- plus food.

Feel free to ask me any question if you'd like to organize a tour there, I will provide much more information if needed. :)

I let you some few pictures of the monkeys and a couple of videos I shoot with a Go Pro.

22397571836_6db4efdded_z.jpgMicao leao dourado by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22026584363_ea315862aa_z.jpgGolden lion tamarin - Leontopithecus rosalia by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22459820420_1677a02e84_z.jpgCommon marmoset - Callithrix jacchus by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22634303872_a07157c01b_z.jpgGolden lion tamarin - Leontopithecus rosalia by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22433928761_5fd2a7f35d_z.jpgMicao leao dourado by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22621872076_5b26f97ab3_z.jpgCommon marmoset - Callithrix jacchus by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22233574938_0d87ce8d70_z.jpgMicao leao dourado by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr

22233567078_219e50c307_z.jpgMicao leao dourado by Goulevitch Jérémie, sur Flickr