Chishakwe in Save Valley Conservancy, 4.5 hrs from Harare. WILD DOGS!

Atravelynn

Wonderful, and as others have said a really good overview of a niche area.

Thank you for this report, Lynn - really enjoyed it, wonderful to see so many great shots of the pups. Really surprised about the number of the dogs. Do you think Chishawke would be easy to dombine with Gonarezhou?

I tried to say "nice" but the corrector is really annoying.... Sorry for all the mistakes

Do you think Chishawke would be easy to dombine with Gonarezhou?

Yes, they are 60 km apart. If I return (I would for the rhino darting if it were within my budget and it can be arranged) I'd like to request that we head to Gonarezhou for a couple of days.

I tried to say "nice" but the corrector is really annoying.... Sorry for all the mistakes

I used the word niche in referring to photographic and hunting "niches" so I thought you were being clever stating niche, not nice. So you weren't being clever after all. Not that you are not clever. I am sure you are clever. Oh dear, see what a typo can do? No apologies needed!

Edited by Atravelynn

With the dog populations approaching a maximum level, I hope they do not suffer any negative effects of overpopulation.

Can't believe we are at the end already - nonetheless I would be surprised if you have not inspired a few future visitors.

Lovely pics all throughout.

@@Atravelynn

I am sure your trip report will have many people considering this as an option. The wild dog viewing is outstanding - and it would be interesting to see diverse activities develop.

A great report with lovely photos - thank you!

Oooh, Lynn! This brings back such lovely memories - darn it, I'm dying to go back again! Boris looks like such a big boy now and good to know that Courtney is all done with his training. And Jess looks happy and the vehicle and the dam and the kudu and the houses look happily the same too :) And of course, the new puppies look as adorable as the old batch of puppies and the adults of this pack look as beautiful as the other pack (and there's an injured adult here - there was an injured adult when I was there too!).

Your photos are amazing - how anyone can photograph those wriggly, slippery, hyper-active babies is beyond me :D

On another note, after my visit I tried to see if I could do something at Savé to encourage photo-tourism (by trying to explore if I could encourage volunteer opps at Humani Ranch) but got really negative feedback from some Safaritalkers because Humani also does hunting. But I wonder if we should reconsider, or what is going to happen here if there is neither hunting nor photo tourism? On the other hand, that latest Mfuwe thread about hunting habituated animals sounds horrible. Tough, tough, tough....

Oooh, Lynn! This brings back such lovely memories - darn it, I'm dying to go back again! Boris looks like such a big boy now and good to know that Courtney is all done with his training. And Jess looks happy and the vehicle and the dam and the kudu and the houses look happily the same too :) And of course, the new puppies look as adorable as the old batch of puppies and the adults of this pack look as beautiful as the other pack (and there's an injured adult here - there was an injured adult when I was there too!).

Boris is a big boy and so loving. Courtney does remind him, no licking, or I think he'd wsh your whole face.

Your photos are amazing - how anyone can photograph those wriggly, slippery, hyper-active babies is beyond me :DAt a photo keeper ratio of 5%, it is possible.

On another note, after my visit I tried to see if I could do something at Savé to encourage photo-tourism (by trying to explore if I could encourage volunteer opps at Humani Ranch) but got really negative feedback from some Safaritalkers because Humani also does hunting. But I wonder if we should reconsider, or what is going to happen here if there is neither hunting nor photo tourism? On the other hand, that latest Mfuwe thread about hunting habituated animals sounds horrible. Tough, tough, tough....

I am not a fan of hunting either, but I understand its place in the overall context of conservation and would not shun an area that practices responsible hunting for habitat preservation. I'd be up for volunteering of some kind.

With the dog populations approaching a maximum level, I hope they do not suffer any negative effects of overpopulation.

Can't believe we are at the end already - nonetheless I would be surprised if you have not inspired a few future visitors.

Lovely pics all throughout.

In the past when the #s have reached 150, I was told various problems arise and there can be a crash. All the more reason for extended buffer zones.

So many pups, is that normal? I'm fascinated at the mothers ability to lactate sufficiently to keep them all nourished. Not to mention how she is not "drained", literally. Too cute for words.

So many pups, is that normal? I'm fascinated at the mothers ability to lactate sufficiently to keep them all nourished. Not to mention how she is not "drained", literally. Too cute for words.

15 is normal from one female, though it tied or broke the record for most pups in Save Valley since the research started.

It appeared there were 2 females nursing the 15 pups at times according to the researcher. It is possible but not likely that 2 females both gave birth to a total of 15 pups at the same time (all pups were the same size). It is also possible the alpha female or other members of the pack killed the non-alpha's pups, meaning the non-alpha female would continue to lactate and be able to feed the 15 pups from the alpha-female. There is another possibility that is quite fantastic. Because the other female they had seen nursing is the sister of the alpha-female, it is possible that the close bonds of the pack caused the sister, who had not given birth, to lactate.

Edited by Atravelynn

• 2 weeks later...

@@Atravelynn

Just read this from start to finish. Brilliant report and absolutely fantastic pictures of the dogs and puppies.

Save Valley and Gonarezhou are the last two main areas in Zim that I still need to visit and this certainly makes the case for Chishakwe in Save.

Just read this, amazing photos of the dogs, especially all the pups - wonderful!

Another must visit place to add to the list.......

Excellent report, Lynn. Truly off the beaten path and Wild dog heaven. Amazing pup pictures. Thanks for sharing.

• 4 weeks later...

i could just lie and snuggle up to those adorable fat pups... but i think i would have been thrown out of the concession.

just returned to finish up and those are amazing pictures of the dogs,and really interesting information on how hunting is working alongside non-hunting purposes. thanks @@Atravelynn.

Another must visit place to add to the list.......

...of growing must visit places.

Truly off the beaten path and Wild dog heaven.

Off the beaten path for the time being, but I have a feeling it won't always be.

i could just lie and snuggle up to those adorable fat pups.

I was hoping to be invited into the den for some snuggling, especially after Researcher Jess told me how clean it is in there. The adults keep it tidy to avoid strong scents that might attract predators. Kidding of course--about the den invitation, not about the cleanliness inside.

Edited by Atravelynn