See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Bag for photo equipment

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaTheil

MelissaTheil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 10:46 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:04 PM

I bought a Think Tank Rolling bag (model- Airport Takeoff) for my 10 day trip to Tanzania in 2 weeks. My other bag is a very small duffel bag. I don't plan to check either for my flights.Is it possible to get away with the rigid rollaboard or should I go with a smaller camera bag? Total weight for everything is 34 lbs.

#2 CaroleE

CaroleE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Local time: 04:46 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:37 PM

@MelissaTheil

Firstly, welcome to Safaritalk!

I would check maximum sizes and also weight for handluggage items for your airline on their website. Think Tank says the bag conforms to hand luggage requirements but this varies so much from airline to airline and can change. Best to check I wouldn't want to have to check in all my camera gear!

One question do you have internal flights in Tanzania or you travelling by vehicle throughout?

I hope you enjoy your trip to Tanzania!

If you have time, please pop over to the Introductions topic http://safaritalk.ne...-introductions/ and say hello and introduce yourself there. I and I am sure many others would love to hear about your upcoming trip.

Edited by CaroleE, 08 October 2015 - 03:45 PM.

• MelissaTheil likes this

Some work to live. Others live to work. I live and work to travel

#3 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,948 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:05 PM

I clicked here because of the beautiful giraffe avatar!

I found these dimensions for your bag.

Measurements:
Internal Dimensions: 13" W x 18.5" H x 5.25 - 6.75" D (33 x 47 x 13 - 17cm)
External Dimensions: 14" W x 21" H x 8" D (35.5 x 53 x 22cm)

Usually 45 inches total is what is allowed for carry-on.  This is within 45 inches.

One thing that I've noticed lately is if your status puts you at one of the last to board,  gate staff can decide to take all carry-ons and check them.  I guess no more room in overhead bins.  Doesn't matter the dimensions of the carryons.  I had my under 45-inch softsided no-wheel dufflebag taken from me.  When I objected that I had medicine and cameras inside, I was told to take them out.  I had to leave the boarding line and repack on the floor along with some other folks.  Fortunately I had another drawstring bag with me for my cameras (bridge not DSLR with long lenses) and my pharmacy.  I wore my binos as an accessory, around my neck.

What I did not try was to throw a crying fit.  Maybe that would work as a last resort.  Hopefully won't be needed and have a wonderful trip.

Edited by Atravelynn, 08 October 2015 - 07:07 PM.

When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#4 offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:33 PM

@Atravelynn - couldn't you have put it under the seat in front of you, to avoid having to have your bag go in the hold?  Or were you sitting in an emergency exit row or something?

https://www.flickr.c...offshorebirder2

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'
John Keats - Ode on a Grecian Urn

#5 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,948 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 03:17 AM

@Atravelynn - couldn't you have put it under the seat in front of you, to avoid having to have your bag go in the hold?  Or were you sitting in an emergency exit row or something?

There was no negotiation about where I could put the duffel the couple of times it happened to me.  At least I did not want to object to the point of maybe being thrown off the flight. The announcement of all bags will now be checked was made in the waiting area, not once we had boarded the plane, so I couldn't even try to fit it under the seat.   I think it would have been too big for under the seat, though.

It happened to my friend too one time but she was so flustered that she just handed over the bag with her camera and drugs and other important stuff. Wouldn't you know it, the bag was lost for about 3 days.  But she got it back with everything inside eventually.

#6 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,988 posts
  • Local time: 11:46 AM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 09 October 2015 - 07:26 AM

@Atravelynn

Something similar happened to us when boarding a Jetstar flight from Penang, Malaysia to Singapore. Jetstar has a "strict" one airline size carry-on bag per passenger policy. So after watching numerous passengers in the line in front of us being boarded by Jetstar staff with 2 or sometimes 3 bags each, when the Jetstar steward stepped in front of us in the line and announced that everyone from us back to the end of the line had to check their hand luggage in, Mrs ZaminOz unleashed such a verbal tirade at him about any lack of space being entirely Jetstar staff's own fault (mixed with the odd expletive) that he was utterly lost on how to respond... anyway we completely ignored his directive - with Mrs ZaminOz looking like she would strike him down with a bolt of thunderous lightning if he uttered one more word to her - and boarded with our one carry-on bag each!

I think that he might have pee'd his pants! He spent the whole flight to Singapore either avoiding eye contact or apologising profusely whenever he had to serve us :)

Edited by ZaminOz, 09 October 2015 - 07:27 AM.

• Geoff, kittykat23uk, pault and 4 others like this
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#7 Soukous

Soukous

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,028 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:02 AM

@MelissaTheil

I have given up trying to predict what might or might not be allowed as carry on luggage.

I have seen people struggle on with 3 bags, each of which is just about on the limits of size and the crew didn't bat an eyelid.

On a Proflight flight in Zambia there were no overhead bins nor space under the seat in front, and I just put my bag under my legs - everyone else did the same. It seems that the 'regulations' are enforced when it suits the airline.

I have never had the experience suffered by @Atravelynn - but then I do try and board as early as possible to make sure I do get space in the overhead lockers.

"if you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending the night in a closed room with a mosquito."

Martin Dunn FRGS

facebook: Wildlife Photography Africa

twitter@wildphotoafrica

#8 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,948 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:43 PM

@MelissaTheil

I have given up trying to predict what might or might not be allowed as carry on luggage.

I have seen people struggle on with 3 bags, each of which is just about on the limits of size and the crew didn't bat an eyelid.

On a Proflight flight in Zambia there were no overhead bins nor space under the seat in front, and I just put my bag under my legs - everyone else did the same. It seems that the 'regulations' are enforced when it suits the airline.

I have never had the experience suffered by @Atravelynn - but then I do try and board as early as possible to make sure I do get space in the overhead lockers.

Boarding early is getting harder.  Depending on your ticket, there are now separate lines that board one after the other for some airlines.  For those with the least expensive tickets,  they board last.  Being a FF of that airline sometimes helps, but if the ticket was not purchased with ff miles then the ff status does not really matter.  What also helps to get in the early boarding lines is buying the ticket with that airline's credit card.  But after the first year, those credit cards have an annual fee.

One unscientific casual observation I have made and personally experienced over many years is that women traveling alone are more likely to be hassled about their bags than men or couples.

On flights within Africa  there does not seem to be the need to keep the foot space clear, which offers another spot to put your belongings.  In contrast, on US flights, under the seat is ok, but not on the floor in front of your seat.

All this carry-on ambiguity is why I wear a "safari vest" and load it up with essentials.  I figure they won't rip the clothing off of my body in the boarding process.

"Total weight for everything is 34 lbs."  That's very good for both bags when one is your camera stuff!  And you've accomplished this without wearing your binoculars?  Impressive, @MelissaTheil!

• pault and Tom Kellie like this

#9 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,485 posts
  • Local time: 11:46 AM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:33 PM

Boarding early is getting harder.  Depending on your ticket, there are now separate lines that board one after the other for some airlines.  For those with the least expensive tickets,  they board last.  Being a FF of that airline sometimes helps, but if the ticket was not purchased with ff miles then the ff status does not really matter.  What also helps to get in the early boarding lines is buying the ticket with that airline's credit card.  But after the first year, those credit cards have an annual fee.

One unscientific casual observation I have made and personally experienced over many years is that women traveling alone are more likely to be hassled about their bags than men or couples.

On flights within Africa  there does not seem to be the need to keep the foot space clear, which offers another spot to put your belongings.  In contrast, on US flights, under the seat is ok, but not on the floor in front of your seat.

All this carry-on ambiguity is why I wear a "safari vest" and load it up with essentials.  I figure they won't rip the clothing off of my body in the boarding process.

"Total weight for everything is 34 lbs."  That's very good for both bags when one is your camera stuff!  And you've accomplished this without wearing your binoculars?  Impressive, @MelissaTheil!

~ @Atravelynn

My experience travelling in Asia has been that if I'm willing to stand at the head of an empty gate, before the line forms, there's a high possibility of being one of the earliest boarded passengers, hence ample time to stow the large lens bag.

The ‘safari vest’ gambit works! I originally read about it somewhere in Safaritalk.

Having done so during the South Africa safari earlier this month, I'm convinced of its effectiveness.

Tom K.

#10 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,948 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:00 AM

@Tom Kellie, are you reporting from South Africa in your safari vest?

#11 cjt3

cjt3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:03 PM

I bought a Think Tank Rolling bag (model- Airport Takeoff) for my 10 day trip to Tanzania in 2 weeks. My other bag is a very small duffel bag. I don't plan to check either for my flights.Is it possible to get away with the rigid rollaboard or should I go with a smaller camera bag? Total weight for everything is 34 lbs.

@MelissaTheil,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am looking at the Think Tank Airport Advantage for my safari next year.  It is similar in size to the Takeoff (just a little smaller and lighter), so was curious as to your experience with a rolling camera bag in Tanzania -- particularly if you were on any small shuttle flights during your trip.

• AmyT likes this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.