marg

in the light of the full moon we spotted a hyena ambling along until it got to the base of a large tree. It circled the tree several times and looked up. It was on the other side of a gully and we did not think that we could get there. Looking with the binos we could not spot anything. We figured that it was a tree with activity so we checked it out several times every game drive. Our tree...

post-17651-0-71696300-1444511979_thumb.jpg

the following afternoon in the area of the tree puku were whistling alarms. We still were unable to spot anything. Later, in the dark, one of the other vehicles from camp found leopards in the tree and we did drive into and out of the gully. First spotted was the female in the tree and Bertram thinks that the tree is her territory.

post-17651-0-74802400-1444512493_thumb.jpg

Then, we spotted the male who was attempting to take over her tree.

post-17651-0-22948600-1444512662_thumb.jpg

She came down. There was lots of roaring from both of them. She started to go up again, then turned and walked away.

These were our first leopard sightings here, but not our last. We had sightings each day. Another climbing down from a different tree..

post-17651-0-78626400-1444512886_thumb.jpg

a day outing to the hot spring.....Just as we left camp we spotted a lion, unknown and by himself....

post-17651-0-01726200-1444513473_thumb.jpg

continuing on, Greater Kudu...

post-17651-0-78642100-1444513603_thumb.jpg

the hot spring and a picnic lunch complete with a local favorite...

post-17651-0-50735400-1444513757_thumb.jpgpost-17651-0-77678800-1444513861_thumb.jpg

Trunk gymnastics by that elephant. The leopard coming down from the tree was perfect timing.

Lovely purple sky with the full moon. Did you notice a change in your night drive activity due to the full moon?

@@Atravelynn...no. The only predators around were the leopards and they were out and around. And, they had made kills. The hyenas were very active, every where and every night. The Tena Tena pride had moved south. We did three nights later drive up to Nsefu to find the pride of fourteen. They were beginning a hunt just as the sun was going down and the moon light would have been good for them. The impala and puku were scarce each evening that we were there probably due to the moonlight.

I'm looking at your report and Marks' report and it appears you traveled in the same circles.

@@Atravelynn very close. I think that his trip was maybe just prior to ours. We did see a couple of Flatdogs vehicles but they were closer to the Mfuwe gate area. It is fun to read his report as the sightings are so similar and certainly the landscape is.

birds...The Carmine Bee-eaters are here to breed

post-17651-0-37867000-1444586485_thumb.jpgpost-17651-0-49677700-1444586415_thumb.jpg

Verreaux's Eagle Owl

post-17651-0-05265700-1444586623_thumb.jpg

White-fronted Bee-eaters

post-17651-0-77082200-1444586886_thumb.jpg

lastly, a few nocturnal sightings in the park...Scrub Hare

post-17651-0-12344300-1444587284_thumb.jpg

Civet

post-17651-0-91238200-1444587391_thumb.jpg

Scops Owl

post-17651-0-95678400-1444587476_thumb.jpg

Water Thick-knee

post-17651-0-98045700-1444587562_thumb.jpg

to recap...we had some great game drives, sightings and interactions, and experiences in SLNP. And, it is certainly worth another visit, soon I hope.

The second chapter of this Trip Report will take place in Zimbabwe

forgot....BBC is back in the park working on a two year project. We ran into them several times when we were at Tena Tena.

A big lion with a proper mane in Luangwa. That put some earlier discussion on lion manes in perspective. Was the second male lion a sub adult male? His mane looked smaller.

What a riot to watch between the leopards. I hope the female got the lovely sausage tree back.

Thanks for sharing @@marg. The bush camps look amazing. Tena tena camp was where we collected the key for the boat ride back to the SLNP side.

@@marg

Wow, what a lovely report. You were very luck to have seen wild dogs in S. Luangwa. My understanding is that they are typically very hard to find this time of year near the River.

@@Kitsafari...looking at my other photos the second lion looks a little smaller, but not much. His mane is not as full yet and it looks like it is starting to turn dark on top. Both of them are quite handsome.

She was not the only female leopard that we saw who lost either her tree or her kill in a tree. The males are so much larger that they most often win.

@@Safaridude...we were very surprised and pleased to have not only the dogs but the interactions with other predators...this is what a perfect game drive should be. They are my favorite animal so I was in heaven. Thank you!

We left our home on Monday morning at five and arrived at the Mfuwe Lodge early evening Wednesday

That puts any moaning I have about traveling into perspective. Did you get lost in transit or sent to Sudan by mistake? :blink:

Love those tents at Chindeni - very quaint. Loving your early sightings too. Excellent.

@@pault...no, but we do go first from the desert where we live, to San Francisco, to Dubai, to Lusaka and then to Mfuwe. Not quite Sudan! Not lost either...we were on Emirates! :) And, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Despite having been to South Luangwa National Park three times, I absolutely loved your report. I can't wait to stay in Bush Camp's camp in this sector of the park. Your sightings of wild dogs and hyenas during the daytime were just outstanding.

@@optig..thanks! We were very pleased but also maybe little lucky with the game viewing. And, you are going to Pamushana next year! Lucky you!

• 4 weeks later...

Oh this takes me back to our very first night on safari and in Zambia, such a thrilling first night with all the hippo grunts and lion roars.

Your first days interaction between the dogs and hyenas would have held my attention for hours. Thanks for sharing.

Wow! Your trip report is amazing! Have been in SL myself and it's one of my favourite parks. Had some great time and sightings over there, but your trip is really insane. Hyena's and wild dogs interacting. A great pic of the two bull elephants, most have been really special to witness. You must be feeling very lucky. Thanks for sharing with us!

When will you be heading to Zim? Already looking forward for that trip report!

@@PCNW...thanks! These are really special experiences.

@@LarsS and thanks to you too! Yes, we are very fortunate not only to go to Africa but to have the special game drives/viewings. We went to Zimbabwe right after Zambia. That trip is in Trip Reports, Zimbabwe, Chapter Two. Enjoy...more great experiences for us.