Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vikramghanekar

Jonathan & Angela Scott, Jackson Looseiya

15 posts in this topic

Hello Friends,

I am going on a photographic safari hosted by Jonathan and Angela Scott at Rekero Camp in the Masai Mara. The trip starts this weekend and lasts for 7nights 8 days.

If you have any questions for the Big Cat People, please do let me know so that I can ask them in person. I will post an interview with them after coming back from the trip.

Cheers

Vikram

3 people like this

1 we all greatly appreciate both your published books and documentaries , what projects are coming up at the moment ?

2 what are your observations on the Mara and the changes you have seen over the considerable time you have been visiting ?

3 Africa has many conservation challenges , where do you see signs of hope , how much will is there to solve problems , to what extent can solutions be adapted from one area and used in another ?

Thank you Cosmic Rhino, I have noted them down.

@@vikramghanekar Say hello to them all from Safaritalk. Jackson will remember me from Cape Town last year...

weare.jpg

(Photo courtesy and copyright of Beyond Luxury Media, We are Africa - www.weareafricatravel.com)

You could direct Jonathan Scott to read throught this topic on Safaritalk:

Cheetah Enters a Vehicle in Masai Mara

And then give his thoughts...

Jonathan Scott does a monthly or quarterly column in Safarilink's in flight min-magazine that is usually pretty interesting.

http://www.cre8ivedge.net/safarilink/safarilinkissue18/

Also, in each issue there is a contest to win a couple of nights at a different Kenyan safari or beach location. It's worth entering, you never know if you will get lucky...we did a couple of years ago!

the few times I have seen their column it is simple and easy to understand photographic advice

Have a brilliant time.

I would like to know how often do they get to enjoy a safari on their own (no work commitments) and where is their favourite place to visit?

For Angela - what are her thoughts about females travelling around Kenya's parks on a solo self drive and what would be her advice.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Cosmic Rhino got most of my thoughts...but : If you couldn't set up, have filmed Big Cat Diary in and lived in the Mara, what other location in Africa would you choose?
And : What single sighting over the years has stuck with you the most?

Have a great time also, very jealous!

Edited by Big_Dog

Jonathan Scott does a monthly or quarterly column in Safarilink's in flight min-magazine that is usually pretty interesting.

http://www.cre8ivedge.net/safarilink/safarilinkissue18/

Also, in each issue there is a contest to win a couple of nights at a different Kenyan safari or beach location. It's worth entering, you never know if you will get lucky...we did a couple of years ago!

Thanks for the link @PT123

I noticed that in that edition of Safarilink Magazine on page 11 ("Tsavo's Scintillating Birds), it shows a photos of a Lawrence's Warbler. This is a very rare hybrid of Blue-winged Warbler and Golden-winged Warbler - and Golden-winged Warblers themselves are getting pretty rare nowadays.

I would be very surprised if a Lawrence's Warbler has ever been detected in Tsavo NP...

Posted (edited)

I have a more specific question about African lions. I have created a basic page about them at http://www.africa-wildlife-detective.com/african-lions.html but have always had questions about lion male coalitions.

There is a lot of competition for females with males often fighting to death over them. We know that male lions working together have a better chance of success at survival and more effective hunting.

How frequently do they see lion male coalitions in the Masai Mara and is there a dominance hierarchy among them when it comes to mating privileges?

Apparently cheetah brothers also form bonds when growing up but I have heard that there is definitely a dominance hierarchy among them when it comes to mating privileges.

Is this true and if so who exactly gets to dominate.?

Thanks,

Edited by Wildlife Detective

we all love your style and obvious love of nature , without being modest what would you think of taking over from Sir David Attenborough when he eventually retires ?

I much prefer the naturalist style than the scientist , some of whom can be detached an aloof , treating the world as a machine for the benefit of humans . this comes from Carolyn Marchant's classic work THE DEATH OF NATURE about the emergence of early modern science THE DEATH OF NATURE

~ Both naturalists and research scientists come in all varieties, as with any occupational groups.

From the genial to the aloof, from the generous to the stingy, from the loquacious to the terse.

There's no one style in the life sciences, with all temperaments represented...or so I've seen over decades working in and around them.

Kindly patient research scientists continue to patiently serve humanity in unseen roles which receive little publicity.

I like nice, warmhearted individuals wherever they may be found, be it in a laboratory or in a redwood grove!

Tom K.

1 person likes this

A healthy approach to nature requires awe and wonder , as well as inquiry and research . the scientific method has its place but can from some individuals who are broadcasters can come over as uncaring

there is no equation to explain life , and there is no point in trying to seek one, things are far more complicated.

A healthy approach to nature requires awe and wonder , as well as inquiry and research . the scientific method has its place but can from some individuals who are broadcasters can come over as uncaring

there is no equation to explain life , and there is no point in trying to seek one, things are far more complicated.

~ @@COSMIC RHINO

Unlike many, I never see or hear any broadcasts of any kind. By choice I live in a media desert!

Therefore I've never encountered the less than caring broadcasters you've mentioned.

I'm sorry to hear that. Very sorry, indeed.

Those with whom I cooperate, both in my own university and overseas, tend to be delightfully open-minded individuals who observe and analyze, remaining mindful of their limitations.

I hope that you'll meet, see or hear more congenial members of the global scientific community. There are numerous fine researchers whose respect for the natural world is inspiring.

Tom K.

~ Four days ago I was at a cheetah sighting — Musiera and her three cubs — in Masai Mara National Reserve.

We were beside a highly modified vehicle with built-in mounts for photography.

It was none other than Jonathan Scott, with Angela seated in the rear of the vehicle.

Tom K.

4 people like this