See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Jonathan & Angela Scott, Jackson Looseiya

Jonathan Scott big cat diary Jackson Looseiya Masai Mara Rekero camp

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 vikramghanekar

vikramghanekar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 04:34 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:29 AM

Hello Friends,
I am going on a photographic safari hosted by Jonathan and Angela Scott at Rekero Camp in the Masai Mara. The trip starts this weekend and lasts for 7nights 8 days.
If you have any questions for the Big Cat People, please do let me know so that I can ask them in person. I will post an interview with them after coming back from the trip.
Cheers
Vikram
  • SaminKaz, Lala and fictionauthor like this

#2 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,666 posts
  • Local time: 10:04 AM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:16 AM

1 we all greatly appreciate  both your  published books and documentaries , what  projects are coming up at the moment ?

2 what are your observations on the Mara and  the changes you have seen over the considerable time you have been visiting ?

3 Africa  has many conservation challenges , where do you see signs of hope , how much will is there to solve problems , to what extent can solutions be adapted from one area and used in another ?

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#3 vikramghanekar

vikramghanekar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 04:34 AM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:06 AM

Thank you Cosmic Rhino, I have noted them down.

#4 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts
  • Local time: 12:04 AM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:24 PM

@vikramghanekar Say hello to them all from Safaritalk. Jackson will remember me from Cape Town last year...

weare.jpg

(Photo courtesy and copyright of Beyond Luxury Media, We are Africa - www.weareafricatravel.com)

You could direct Jonathan Scott to read throught this topic on Safaritalk:

Cheetah Enters a Vehicle in Masai Mara

And then give his thoughts...

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#5 PT123

PT123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 PM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:41 PM

Jonathan Scott does a monthly or quarterly column in Safarilink's in flight min-magazine that is usually pretty interesting.

http://www.cre8ivedg...arilinkissue18/

Also, in each issue there is a contest to win a couple of nights at a different Kenyan safari or beach location.  It's worth entering, you never know if you will get lucky...we did a couple of years ago!

#6 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:33 PM

the few times I have seen their column it is simple and easy to understand  photographic advice

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#7 SaminKaz

SaminKaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:12 PM

Have a brilliant time.

I would like to know how often do they get to enjoy a safari on their own (no work commitments) and where is their favourite place to visit?  

For Angela - what are her thoughts about females travelling around Kenya's parks on a solo self drive and what would be her advice.

Thanks

#8 Big_Dog

Big_Dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local time: 11:04 PM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:44 PM

Cosmic Rhino got most of my thoughts...but : If you couldn't set up, have filmed Big Cat Diary in and lived in the Mara, what other location in Africa would you choose?
And : What single sighting over the years has stuck with you the most?

Have a great time also, very jealous!

Edited by Big_Dog, 08 October 2015 - 01:44 PM.

"What, no hyaena pictures?"

#9 offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Local time: 12:04 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:01 PM

Jonathan Scott does a monthly or quarterly column in Safarilink's in flight min-magazine that is usually pretty interesting.

http://www.cre8ivedg...arilinkissue18/

Also, in each issue there is a contest to win a couple of nights at a different Kenyan safari or beach location.  It's worth entering, you never know if you will get lucky...we did a couple of years ago!

Thanks for the link @PT123    

I noticed that in that edition of Safarilink Magazine on page 11 ("Tsavo's Scintillating Birds), it shows a photos of a Lawrence's Warbler.   This is a very rare hybrid of Blue-winged Warbler and Golden-winged Warbler - and Golden-winged Warblers themselves are getting pretty rare nowadays.

I would be very surprised if a Lawrence's Warbler has ever been detected in Tsavo NP...

https://www.flickr.c...offshorebirder2

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'
John Keats - Ode on a Grecian Urn

#10 Wildlife Detective

Wildlife Detective

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Local time: 01:04 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:51 AM

I have a more specific question about African lions. I have created a basic page about them at   http://www.africa-wi...ican-lions.html but have always had questions about lion male coalitions.

There is a lot of competition for females with males often fighting to death over them. We know that male lions working together have a better chance of success at survival and more effective hunting.

How frequently do they see lion male coalitions in the Masai Mara and is there a dominance hierarchy among them when it comes to mating privileges? 

Apparently cheetah brothers also form bonds when growing up but I have heard that there is definitely a dominance hierarchy among them when it comes to mating privileges.

Is this true and if so who exactly gets to dominate.?

Thanks,

Edited by Wildlife Detective, 13 October 2015 - 10:59 AM.

#11 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:56 AM

we all love your style and obvious love of nature , without being modest  what  would you think of taking over from Sir David Attenborough when he eventually retires  ?

I much prefer the naturalist style than the scientist , some of whom can be detached an aloof , treating the world as a machine for the benefit of humans . this comes from Carolyn Marchant's  classic work THE DEATH OF NATURE about the emergence of early modern science THE DEATH OF NATURE

#12 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:38 AM

~ Both naturalists and research scientists come in all varieties, as with any occupational groups.

From the genial to the aloof, from the generous to the stingy, from the loquacious to the terse.

There's no one style in the life sciences, with all temperaments represented...or so I've seen over decades working in and around them.

Kindly patient research scientists continue to patiently serve humanity in unseen roles which receive little publicity.

I like nice, warmhearted individuals wherever they may be found, be it in a laboratory or in a redwood grove!

Tom K.

• optig likes this

#13 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:33 AM

A healthy approach  to nature requires  awe and wonder , as well as  inquiry and research .   the scientific method  has its place but can from some individuals who are broadcasters can come over as uncaring

there is no equation to explain life , and there is no point in trying to seek one, things are far more complicated.

#14 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:21 PM

A healthy approach  to nature requires  awe and wonder , as well as  inquiry and research .   the scientific method  has its place but can from some individuals who are broadcasters can come over as uncaring

there is no equation to explain life , and there is no point in trying to seek one, things are far more complicated.

~ @COSMIC RHINO

Unlike many, I never see or hear any broadcasts of any kind. By choice I live in a media desert!

Therefore I've never encountered the less than caring broadcasters you've mentioned.

I'm sorry to hear that. Very sorry, indeed.

Those with whom I cooperate, both in my own university and overseas, tend to be delightfully open-minded individuals who observe and analyze, remaining mindful of their limitations.

I hope that you'll meet, see or hear more congenial members of the global scientific community. There are numerous fine researchers whose respect for the natural world is inspiring.

Tom K.

#15 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:10 AM

~ Four days ago I was at a cheetah sighting — Musiera and her three cubs — in Masai Mara National Reserve.

We were beside a highly modified vehicle with built-in mounts for photography.

It was none other than Jonathan Scott, with Angela seated in the rear of the vehicle.

Tom K.

• Marks, amybatt, SaminKaz and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jonathan Scott, big cat diary, Jackson Looseiya, Masai Mara, Rekero camp

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.