See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Oloololo Cheetah Boys

video cheetah cheetahs oloololo masai mara

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cheetah80

cheetah80

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Local time: 12:08 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:30 PM

Here is a video my partner took in June, when the Oloololo boys were in the Olare Motorogi Conservancy.  Sadly one of them has recently succumbed to cat flu.

• Game Warden, madaboutcheetah, Geoff and 4 others like this

#2 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,462 posts
  • Local time: 10:08 PM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:55 PM

@cheetah80 Super video, I like the time lapse affect when one jumps from the tree. Was that done with a series of stills?

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#3 elefromoz

elefromoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Local time: 05:08 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:55 AM

Nice vid."cat flu", is that virus found naturally in wild Cats, or is a domestic virus that has spread?

#4 cheetah80

cheetah80

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Local time: 12:08 AM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:09 AM

@cheetah80 Super video, I like the time lapse affect when one jumps from the tree. Was that done with a series of stills?

Thanks, it is slowed down video footage :)

Nice vid."cat flu", is that virus found naturally in wild Cats, or is a domestic virus that has spread?

I believe that it occurs naturally in cheetahs - but I stand to be corrected on this one as I am not sure.

#5 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,183 posts
  • Local time: 04:08 AM

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

Cool video.

The last boy has the same (cat flu or not) although as of 7 October he looked well and KWS had said he was likely to survive. Another cheetah in Lemek has it too and two pther males died of similar a few months ago.. Femke Brookhuis of the Mara Cheetah Project was worried enough that she called out KWS vets to dart the Oloololo Boy and do tests to identify the virus and decide whether there was a potentially really serious epidemic. You can read about it on the Mara Cheetah Project Facebook page,

If anyone sees a cheetah in the Mara with what looks like a swollen neck I am sure Femke would really appreciate you contacting her or her team, even if it turns out to be the Oloololo boy.. I am not sure they do know it is common cat flu.... have asked though.

Sorry for hijacking the thread @cheetah80 

Waiting again... for the next time again

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: video, cheetah, cheetahs, oloololo, masai mara

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.