Game Warden

5 NGOs to which we could donate.

20 posts in this topic

Can we come up with a concensus for say five grass roots conservation/community NGOs which could be a featured partner to which we could donate? I.e., have their logo/branding on the footer of each page, which would link directly through to their own website's donation page?

We could choose five different orgs annually, and of course, there would be no pressure to donate, but by having their logo and a brief note about Safaritalk's supported organisations, it would be easy to do so. And, would benefit those orgs by giving them more exposure.

If you think it's a good idea, let me know in comments below: if everyone suggests an organisation, (preferably grass roots, based on the ground, in country), in their follow up post then members could vote for their five favourite options using the like button: we could come up with a shortlist to which everyone agrees?

Let me know your thoughts: and how we should come up with a shortlist - the implementing itself of including the logos and links will be easy for me to do.

1 person likes this

I'd vote for the Wild Foundation - www.wild.org

@@Soukous What are the reasons for nominating Wild Foundation?

Topping, let's hear everyone's thoughts.

Great idea. Two orgs I really like are the Painted Dog Conservation project out of Hwange: http://www.painteddog.org I like that they support research as well as education and community involvement. If you haven't visited their Visitor's Center outside of Hwange I highly recommend it.

My person favorite group in Africa right now is the I Am Water trust http://iamwaterfoundation.org While I realize this site is primarily focused on land safaris I am sure there's plenty of divers and marine life lovers here as well. Africa's ocean creatures get so little attention compared to its charismatic land animals and they are just as much under pressure. Very little is done to protect marine life in much of Africa, poaching is rampant, pollution is an increasing issue. I Am Water focuses on education. One of its projects takes kids from impoverished areas and gets them involved in the health of their local waters through education and experiences ranging from swim lessons to surfing and freediving. It's a small and relatively new org that could really use the publicity this kind of site would provide.

We support in a modest way Project Luangwa which seems to have a good balance in helping local folk and conservation and the Birding routes in South Africa which help train people to be bird guides also seems a very good idea.I don't know if the Ben de Boer Trust is still active but will find out.Named after a very impressive and enthusiastic man tragically taken way to early who helped set up Birding routes in Limpopo

We also donate to http://www.projectluangwa.org/who , we learn about this community project from Shenton Safaris who is a member together with other camps in Zambia .

Paco

Bumping this, please do add your thoughts and any orgs we should consider. Thanks, Matt

My choice is Game Rangers International - http://www.gamerangersinternational.org/aboutgri/about-gri

It has community awareness and education projects, research and conservation projects, the Zambia Primate Project and the elephant orphanage project with its nursery near Lusaka and the release facility in Kafue.

I enjoy their regular newsletters and I believe that projects involving local communities are imperative for the future welfare of parks and their wildlife.

2 people like this

Let's keep adding suggestions and what are your thoughts about those already posted above? These orgs will be chosen by you from the suggestions you make, not me, and I will not impose any upon you. All I would suggest is that the ones we choose are making a tangible difference to conservation aims and which work with, or a part of a community based project.

Matt

@@Soukous What are the reasons for nominating Wild Foundation?

The big reason for me is the Mali Elephant Project

What makes the Mali Elephant Project unique?

This iconic population of around 550 elephants is 1 of 2 desert elephant herds left in the world. These internationally important elephants are the most northerly population in Africa and represent 12% of the West African population. They have developed one of the longest and most unusual migration routes to cope with living in an exceptionally harsh environment, roaming through a vast area of around 32,000 km2 (the size of Maryland and larger than Belgium!). Most importantly, it owes its existence to historical co-existence with the people of the region.

The project’s approach views the problem of elephant conservation in its broader context, as an integral part of the wider system that embraces humans and nature. It recognizes that to persist, elephants must bring local benefits, and to truly understand the problem requires going beyond the usual remit of conservation to looking at human psychology, governance, culture and economics.

The results are astonishing. The MEP protected the elephants throughout the period of total lawlessness that accompanied the conflict of 2012 and the subsequent insecurity; while at the same time preventing youth recruitment and radicalization, promoting security, and catalyzing community reconciliation.

The Wild Foundation understands the concept of sustainable conservation

1 person likes this

Giving this topic a bump: please nominate an NGO which you think could feature on Safaritalk and give your reasons why.

What do members think about those suggested so far?

@@Soukous do you know if you can direct donations to be spent solely on African initiatives?

Posted (edited)

My choice is Game Rangers International - http://www.gamerangersinternational.org/aboutgri/about-gri

It has community awareness and education projects, research and conservation projects, the Zambia Primate Project and the elephant orphanage project with its nursery near Lusaka and the release facility in Kafue.

I enjoy their regular newsletters and I believe that projects involving local communities are imperative for the future welfare of parks and their wildlife.

This! GRI are doing great work. Some pictures of them (the outreach project anyway( recently at 'our' community school:

12003000_948404285216912_129255036885608

12036838_948402348550439_359070736991322

Edited by KaingU Lodge
2 people like this

More GRI in action:

untitled-shoot-1912-683x1024.jpg

untitled-shoot-1920-1024x683.jpg

untitled-shoot-1924-683x1024.jpg

4 people like this

GRI are supported by all sorts of donations from large to small. But resources are very, very tight. The Kafue (which is the size of Wales) still has no form of aerial support at all. Even little Liuwa Plain NP has a plane! GRI work diplomatically and sensitively with ZAWA. Their CEO (Sport Beattie, pictured above in the hat) has taken what was just an elephant orphanage project and expanded it into numerous projects ranging from women's groups trying to raise empowerment and income through to actually chasing down poachers, through to sniffer dogs, forensic detection, intelligence gathering. The list goes on. But all with the ultimate aim of stopping this:

untitled-shoot-1658_tonemapped-1024x683.

They are supported by the following park operators who make direct contributions from each and every guest stay:

- Mukambi Safaris

- J&M Safaris

- Wilderness Safaris

- Us (Kaingu)

- Busanga Trails

So if you are planning a Kafue stay, then have a think about staying with lodges that are actually contributing.... As Sport has often told me - major donors want to see some commitment from operators!

4 people like this

I would like to suggest supporting Education for Nature in Vietnam.

It seems to me that they are really trying to change attitudes at the consumer end of the wildlife trade.

http://envietnam.org/

2 people like this

I would like to suggest supporting Education for Nature in Vietnam.

It seems to me that they are really trying to change attitudes at the consumer end of the wildlife trade.

http://envietnam.org/

~ @@wilddog

To my relief, this Web site is available here, unlike many comparable sites.

Therefore it will be possible to share it with others, both students and colleagues.

What a fine organization. Exemplary in both their aims and their approach.

Thank you so much for recommending Education for Nature.

Tom K.

Did this ever get decided?