See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Mara cheetahs

Mara cheetahs news updates

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#21 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,076 posts
  • Local time: 05:46 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:03 AM

She might have gone off into the Serengeti, @bettel ............. Can't remember for sure (so take my comment as a ?) I think I vaguely remember reading that she went into Tanzania.

I have read that Imani is recovering well htough from her wounds.

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#22 loafer247

loafer247

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Category 1:Born in Africa

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:11 AM

@bettel - Amani lost a litter of cubs to Jackals in Mara North Conservancy in the middle of last year. Since then, she has been seen on sporadic occasions (I last saw her in July at OMC) and was thought to be pregnant in October. However no one has seen her with cubs in the last few weeks. Will check the latest situation on the ground and get back to you.

Amani has a huge home range - more so than many other cheetahs. It ranges from Northern Serengeti right to the northern most Mara conservancies - and especially when she doesn't have cubs she moves around an awful lot. 

#23 bettel

bettel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Local time: 01:46 PM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

Thank you, @loafer247 and @madaboutcheetah I was so hoping to see her in Feb :) but I guess it is not realistic :)

I have read that Imani is recovering well htough from her wounds.

Yes, I read it too and I think I read that she lost a cub recently and that she now has two.

Since my trip in September the number of cubs decreased quite a lot: Malaika lost one, Nolari lost three (she is now has only one), Imani lost one :(

• Tom Kellie likes this

#24 amybatt

amybatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:52 PM

I'm curious too, @bettel.  I see a lot about her last offspring Imani, but haven't seen anything on Amani in a while.  Your guides at Porini Lion know her well, maybe they'll be able to tell you!!

Edited by amybatt, 20 January 2016 - 05:52 PM.

• Tom Kellie likes this

#25 bettel

bettel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:34 PM

@amybatt, I saw Amani in Sep, I also saw her 3 year old son Hodari, but I was hoping to see Amani again in Feb. I sent email to Elena (from Mara Meru cheetah project) maybe she knows for sure if Amani is away in Tanzania or we will have chances to see her :)

#26 amybatt

amybatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:15 PM

@bettel, I hope you hear before you go! My favorite pic of Amani and Imani (my Porini safari Feb 2014) is this:

DSCN0986

It's a good time to be in Olare Motorogi, I think, with Imani about with her cubs, 6 new lion cubs near the Richard Branson camp and Fig the leopard with her one cub always near Lion Camp.  That's just the ones I know about, who knows what else is there!  Can't wait to hear back after your trip!

• bettel and Tom Kellie like this

#27 bettel

bettel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:48 PM

Wow, I did not know that Imani is so young! Is Hodari Imani's brother? She is very successful for such a young mom (knock on wood!)

• amybatt likes this

#28 amybatt

amybatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:20 AM

Imani was the only cub left when I was there in 2014. What is remarkable, though, is that Imani's current litter is one of her first (if not the first?) and she still has a few left. I think her mom taught her well!

#29 amybatt

amybatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:25 AM

Editing to add, Amani's previous litter was two males and a female, who I saw on two trips into the Reserve, but they were unnamed at the time. They were still together Feb 2014, but the female split off right after I got home. Maybe Hodari is one of those males?

#30 bettel

bettel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:25 AM

Are you sure it was Amani with Imani? I have just read the Mara cheetah update from 2014 it says (http://www.maracheet...August-2014.pdf):

"Amani’s two boys split from their sister Imani in March 2014. After they separated the two boys were seen together but recently one of Amani’s males has been seen by himself. We have no idea what has happened to his brother. Amani’s boy is however doing fine and has been seen taking down full grown topi! As a result the guides have decided to name him ‘Hodari’ which means ‘Çhampion’ in KiSwahili."

Edited by bettel, 21 January 2016 - 01:26 AM.

#31 bettel

bettel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

Talking about cheetahs, did somebody use Mara Cheetah project application Spot-a-Cat to help them with cheetahs monitoring?  

#32 loafer247

loafer247

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:45 PM

Amani's previous litter had 3 cubs - 2 males and a female. They split from Amani in March 2014. The female - Imani, went her separate ways and the two males stayed together.

Imani had a litter of cubs at the end of 2014 up on Rhino Ridge but they didn't make it. This is her second litter and she has done remarkably well to keep 3 to their current age.

Her two brothers went off to explore the Mara and reached the Olololoo Escarpment. No one quite know what happened to one of them, but the other returned to the central mara on his own and the guides named him Hodari. He can be found anywhere from Naboisho to Ol Kiombo to Hammerkop.

I'm sure Amani will be spotted in the near future with a new litter of cubs. I'm meeting Elena of the Mara Meru Cheetah Project next week in Nairobi so will ask her

#33 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:10 PM

@loafer247 - no word still about Shingo?  I really wonder where she is....... she's been gone for far too long!

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#34 bettel

bettel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:48 PM

@loafer247, thanks a lot for the clarification and update! I am looking forward to any news you will get from Elena :)

#35 amybatt

amybatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:47 PM

Sooo...if the Imani we know now is not the cub I saw Amani with in Feb 2014, who is that cub (which would be younger still than the threesome who survived the litter before)?  After I returned, I asked my guide at Porini Lion (who also showed me the solo cub and the previous litter 2 males-1 female) to let me know when the solo cub was named, and he said it was Imani.  EIther something was lost in Facebook translation or we don't know?  We need a family tree!

• Tom Kellie likes this

#36 bettel

bettel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:10 PM

I would think the most reasonable explanation it is not Amani on your photo. 

The cub on your photo is pretty young (s/he still has lot of mane and looks small). I would think s/he is between 6 and 9 month old. Do you have other photos? Or you can send the photo to Elena she is always very good in helping to identify a cheetah.

Three cubs separated from Amani in Feb 2014. The first Imani's litter was in summer 2014. Here is July-Aug 2014 Mara cheetah project update:

"Imani (Amani’s offspring) has also given birth. She is a first time mum and very sensitive to disturbance."

#37 bettel

bettel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:29 PM

UPD. Actually, I am looking at Mara cheetah updates on FB in February 2014, I think it probably was the next litter as a cub looks very small. And they also say that after Imani and Hodari separated from Amani she raised another cub.

UPD2. @amybatt, the cub you saw was born in Sep/Oct 2013

Edited by bettel, 21 January 2016 - 06:45 PM.

#38 amybatt

amybatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:15 PM

I guess the one takeaway from this is Amani has managed to be quite prolific!  Yes, the Sep/Oct 2013 birth timeframe for the cub I saw makes sense, given how small it still was.  Now it makes me wonder what happened to it!

#39 loafer247

loafer247

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:47 AM

@amybatt can you send me high resolution photos of that sighting. I will show them to Elena next week and hopefully get an identification. I also doubt that it is Amani and Imani.

@madaboutcheetah - I think it's pretty safe to say that Shingo is no longer with us.

#40 loafer247

loafer247

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:02 AM

Dear All,

As most of you may know, I have been supporting Dr Elena and the Mara Meru Cheetah Project for a number of years now (since 2011 I think). So far, I have aided her in the sourcing of cameras (thank you to some ST members for donating your old cameras!!!) which are then given to guides to take ID shots of cheetahs, I organise for her attendance at local art and craft fairs so that she can sell her art-work and raise funds, and I assist in getting as many cheetah photos from the Mara as possible so that she can build up her database.

However, I feel that there is more that can be done, so I am now looking at the following:

I. As some of you may know, my family business involves running the most successful shopping mall in Kenya (The Sarit Centre - www.saritcentre.com) and the largest chain of book-stores in Kenya (Text Book Centre - www.textbookcentre.com). My idea is to frame (on canvas) some of my best wildlife photos and display them through these outlets for sale with all profits to go to the Cheetah Project. I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER and as of now have no intentions of becoming one. My thoughts were that if any of you have any fantastic images you wish to contribute then I could display them as well. Of course your name and watermark would be on the image. You will have to trust me that I will not be personally profiting from this and I would use whatever means available to show you how your photos are displayed, how many are sold etc... If you think that this is not a good idea then let me know - I will still go ahead but only display my prints (and I don't have enough quality prints)

II. I am in talks with Mobius Motors (a Kenyan car company that has developed a Kenyan car built for the outdoors) to partner with this Project - http://www.mobiusmotors.com/. So far little headway has been made but a school friend is involved in Mobius so I am hopeful that we will make some progress.

III. Cameras and GPS Equipment - Thank you so much to the ST members who have contributed to date (I won't mention names as I know you are not doing it for the recognition). But if any of you have old equipment that you are not using and want to donate it to the Cheetah Project then please let me know and I can arrange the logistics of getting it to the Mara.

Your feedback and help on the above is much appreciated.

@gamewarden - Does this post breach any guidelines? If not, any way we can highlight this post so more ST members read this?

• Tom Kellie likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mara, cheetahs, news, updates

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.