See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Mara cheetahs

Mara cheetahs news updates

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#221 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,429 posts
  • Local time: 04:32 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:38 PM

It does make you wonder whether the French group who run Cheetah Forever are aware of this practice and endorse it..... or not. @ Geoff were the camp managers aware of this? it sounds from your post that the transactions were pretty open.

The whole reasoning for their operation is to baby sit the Cubs and to protect them from humans, Lions, Hyena and Leopard and they've been vocal about it - 

So, to keep them off human disturbances (they are there to police vehicles and their strict guidelines) - how does it then help to issue these off-road permits?  And that too for $100???? I mean there will be a zillion vehicles who are willing to pay that price ...... But, they all add up for the recipient doesn't it???? 

In brief, there is a reason they are not allowed into the Conservancies!!!!! That's the bottom line!

I remember the discussion about this group's behaviour sometime ago and being very disturbed by it, particularly the chasing away of the other predators. I am no less concerned now than I was then but now more about them appearing to fleece tourists to support their 'work' 

#222 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • Local time: 01:32 PM

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:13 AM

It does make you wonder whether the French group who run Cheetah Forever are aware of this practice and endorse it..... or not. @ Geoff were the camp managers aware of this? it sounds from your post that the transactions were pretty open.

@wilddog  I have no idea whether the camp managers knew about or not. Though I suspect they didn't know and would not have cared anyway. Basically the guests had chatted with the occupants of the 'Cheetah Forever' vehicle at a sighting in the morning and arranged to meet them on the afternoon drive. 

Geoff.

#223 Zarek Cockar

Zarek Cockar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Local time: 06:32 AM
  • Category 1:Safari Guide
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:25 AM

For any of you on facebook, this post may be of interest (from the Mara Cheetah Project):
https://www.facebook...?type=3

• madaboutcheetah, PT123, pault and 1 other like this

Zarek Cockar

Private Guided Safaris

Africa & You

"To explore the unknown and the familiar, distant and near and to record in detail with the eyes of a child, any beauty, horror, irony, traces of utopia or Hell." - Dan Eldon

Facebook: https://www.facebook...karprivateguide

EMAIL: zarek @ africaandyou . com

#224 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,154 posts
  • Local time: 03:32 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:54 AM

@Zarek Cockar - have you seen the 5 males?

I'd love to!!!! 

Edited by madaboutcheetah, 12 May 2017 - 06:54 AM.

• Zarek Cockar likes this

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#225 PT123

PT123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts
  • Local time: 11:32 PM

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:51 AM

Holy cats that's cool!  It must have been fantastic to witness. 

#226 Zarek Cockar

Zarek Cockar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Local time: 06:32 AM
  • Category 1:Safari Guide
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:06 AM

@Zarek Cockar - have you seen the 5 males?

I'd love to!!!! 

I haven't.  I always seem to be in a different part of the mara from them!  I'd love to as well!

• madaboutcheetah likes this

Zarek Cockar

Private Guided Safaris

Africa & You

"To explore the unknown and the familiar, distant and near and to record in detail with the eyes of a child, any beauty, horror, irony, traces of utopia or Hell." - Dan Eldon

Facebook: https://www.facebook...karprivateguide

EMAIL: zarek @ africaandyou . com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mara, cheetahs, news, updates

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.