bettel

Mara cheetahs

266 posts in this topic

@@bettel that chart is wonderful. I don't know enough to add to it, but I'm going to print it and put it in the back of my wildlife guidebook for my trip.

@@offshorebirder, excellent report on Amani. Can't wait to read your TR!

@@bettel

We saw Imani with 3 cubs in the OMC a few days ago

3 people like this

@@TonyQ, thank you for the update! I am waiting for the full trip report ;)

@@bettel

Only got back yesterday :)

Offbeat Mara just posted a photo of Amani I shared on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/masaimaracamp31/

I will post a video of Amani (and her huge belly) to this thread later today and start my Kenya TR in another day or so.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

* When viewing the following embedded Youtube video, be sure to increase the video quality to 1080p. And turn up the sound so you can hear Amani crunching the young Impala and shearing its flesh.

Equipment used was a Canon 7DmkII and 10-400 IS II lens supported on a Kinesis bean bag.

-- As I sat shooting this video late the afternoon of January 20 in a light rain, I thought: "Man, I wish Hari was here to enjoy this with me".

This one's for you @@madaboutcheetah

Edited by offshorebirder
3 people like this

~ @@bettel

Wow! Your cheetah reconciliation chart is so helpful!

The care that went into preparing it is inspirational. If only more of my students were to do likewise.

From all that you've written in this thread, I'm certain that your upcoming stay at Porini Lion will be a productive and enjoyable visit.

Tom K.

1 person likes this

~ @@amybatt

It's really great that you'll soon be in Naboisho to observe firsthand.

Your experience and unflagging enthusiasm prepare you for productive sightings.

I'm looking forward to positive reports about whatever you observe.

Tom K.

~ @@TonyQ and @@offshorebirder

It's wonderful that both of you have just been to the Mara and thus have fresh observations.

@@TonyQ, where did you and @@Thursday's Child stay in OMC?

@@offshorebirder, as videos aren't available here, all my screen shows is a large blank space. Therefore your vivid description of what's shown is appreciated.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie

We stayed at Kicheche Bush for 4 nights - we thought it was an excellent camp (before this we had 4 nights at Offbeat Meru and 5nights at Kicheche Laikipia and were verypleased with all of them)

1 person likes this

~ @@TonyQ

Thank you so much!

Is Kicheche Bush anywhere in the vicinity of Porini Lion?

I'm interested, as @@amybatt stayed at Porini Lion, and both @@bettel and @@douglaswise will be staying there next month.

If you'll pardon my asking, how did you and @@Thursday's Child feel about the sightings in and around Olare Motorogi Conservancy?

Were predators sighted? Were a variety of birds observed? Any babies/cubs in the area?

Did you happen to see any nocturnal animals?

The prospect of a flight from Wilson Airport had previously put me off from flying out to a Mara conservancy, due to bag weight restrictions.

However the uneventful experience of flying from Johannesburg to Leopard Hills in Sabi Sands, South Africa has caused a sea change in my thinking.

I'm very glad to know that your overall impression was positive of the camps in which you stayed.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie

Kicheche Bush is not far from Porini Lion camp (there are only 5 camps in the conservancy)

We had excellent sightings there, although in many places there was unusually long grass due to previous strong rains. This provided opportunities as well as challenges for photography. Lots of birds

We saw many lions, hyena, and a cheetah with 3 cubs and leopard with cub plus another leopard. They do not do night drives, but you do end up driving back in the dark - and we did have a treat which I will save for my trip report!

If you are worried about weight on the small plane, you can purchase an extra seat, I believe. We filled our pockets with heavy things and hoped! (They only weighed our main bag, not our carry on - but we dont have such heavy equipment as you.

2 people like this

@@Tom Kellie

Kicheche Bush is not far from Porini Lion camp (there are only 5 camps in the conservancy)

We had excellent sightings there, although in many places there was unusually long grass due to previous strong rains. This provided opportunities as well as challenges for photography. Lots of birds

We saw many lions, hyena, and a cheetah with 3 cubs and leopard with cub plus another leopard. They do not do night drives, but you do end up driving back in the dark - and we did have a treat which I will save for my trip report!

If you are worried about weight on the small plane, you can purchase an extra seat, I believe. We filled our pockets with heavy things and hoped! (They only weighed our main bag, not our carry on - but we dont have such heavy equipment as you.

~ @@TonyQ

Your reply is exactly what I hoped to understand.

I've only been back from South Africa for 1½ days, yet my thoughts are focussed on Kenya, which I'm missing.

Very glad to hear about the prevalence of birds. Solid predator sightings, too? Great!

The two trips to and from Sabi Sands from Johannesburg this month and four months ago have adjusted my bag packing strategy, with resulting lighter weight.

Several Safaritalk members offered excellent bag packing advice to me earlier this month.

What you and @@Thursday's Child observed in OMC bodes very well for @@bettel and @@douglaswise next month.

Thank you so much!

Tom K.

ps: If your treat was a Zorilla sighting I'd have to book the next flight to Kenya!

I am SO excited! I might actually be able to meet Elena Chelysheva from Mara Meru cheetah project. Well, with my cheetah cheat sheet and the number of questions that I have she might regret her very kind suggestion :)

2 people like this

We were lucky enough to have a couple of great sightings last week in the triangle south of the Serena...A mother and four cheetah cubs.

post-5263-0-79249800-1454591260_thumb.jpg

post-5263-0-01899200-1454591264_thumb.jpg

post-5263-0-91709700-1454591268_thumb.jpg

post-5263-0-97103100-1454591307_thumb.jpg

post-5263-0-22025100-1454591311_thumb.jpg

post-5263-0-17936600-1454591314_thumb.jpg

post-5263-0-11120700-1454591317_thumb.jpg

7 people like this

@@PT123 - Wow!!

This is a Female Elena calls Kakenya - she roams between the triangle and northern serengeti!!

1 person likes this

@@loafer247

Thanks! We were lucky enough to see them on two consecutive days with no other vehicles around. On the second day we spent over a half hour with them whilst the cubs chased each other around the high-ish grass and the termite mounds. It was really cool to watch (and hear the sound) as they raced through the grass and tackled each other.

1 person likes this

View of a lone male by the hippo pool in the triangle...

post-5263-0-66928500-1454766840_thumb.jpg

post-5263-0-83180300-1454766852_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

I am SO excited! I might actually be able to meet Elena Chelysheva from Mara Meru cheetah project. Well, with my cheetah cheat sheet and the number of questions that I have she might regret her very kind suggestion :)

~ @@bettel

While I didn't speak with her, our vehicle stopped by hers for a chat.

The possibility of speaking with her would be high, if she's there, especially if it's mentioned to your guide (Meshack).

Superb cheetah images by @@PT123! They capture the atmosphere of the Mara and its lovely cheetahs.

Tom K.

1 person likes this

Just heard from the cheetah Researchers that Amani has given birth to 5 cubs in Mara North Conservancy - Location is a closely kept secret. Hopefully she has better luck with this litter.

5 people like this

OMG - @@loafer247 ............. Great news!!!

Hmmmm - no Mara for me this year - but, would love to pencil a visit to see them!

2 people like this

Just heard from the cheetah Researchers that Amani has given birth to 5 cubs in Mara North Conservancy - Location is a closely kept secret. Hopefully she has better luck with this litter.

~ @@loafer247

Thank you so much for this positive information.

I was with her about nine days ago, then she vanished.

Reading this makes me smile! :)

Tom K.

1 person likes this

Good luck to Amani and her cubs!

Posted (edited)

I have just spent almost full 9 days (from sunrise to sunset) with 4 cheetah families: Imani, Naborr, Musiara and Nolari. We saw a lot: 6 kills, one was stolen by a hyena, one time a cheetah was able to chase a hyena away, cubs chasing a warthog and then being chased by warthog back :), cubs chasing jackals/foxes/rabit, a lot of play and tree climbing time, close to 30 hunting attempts, cheetahs chased by a giraffe, and much much more. It was an unbelievable experience to learn individuality of each of these cheetahs.

Edited by bettel
6 people like this