bettel

Mara cheetahs

286 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Lyss said:

Update on the coalition of 5. All 5 have been seen live on safariLive just about 2 minutes ago. They are all slightly limping, but all are together again. Such happy news. Footage of the 5 Musketeers back together. This is of the live drive that is happening right now. Scott Dyson, the guide with the cheetah is in a spotty reception area, and so the sightings may be brief. Tristan Dicks, is in the Sabi Sands with a resident leopard named Hosana. In case you wondered. :)

You made my day!!!! I can't stop smiling! Thanks a lot for the update.

1 person likes this

Thank goodness!!  Thank you for the update @Lyss!

Amani's two daughters have just made Nat Geo Wild and Safari Live:  Here

@amybatt Yes, that was awesome watching them on Nat Geo!!  Happy to know that they are doing well.  I first photographed Amani in 2013 when Imani was a cub, and have seen her several times since then. I last saw her in the south end of the Mara in December last year with two cubs several miles north-east of the Tanzanian border, east of the bridge.  She was very protective of her cubs and immediately took them down to the river bed where they could not be seen.  She could well have gone over the border into Tanzania.

I will be in the Mara next month accompanying a professional photographer from California and also return back in January.....sooo looking forward to seeing them again!

2 people like this

This is a photo from back in January 2013 when I photographed Amani and Imani.  It was just our vehicle and the cheetahs for around one hour undisturbed.  We just stayed put while safari vehicles passed us, not seeing the cheetahs in the ravine below!

DSC_0776.png

1 person likes this

@serendipityntravel this is Amani the following year, Feb 2014, with her daughter Karembo.  It looks like she got right back to having cubs once the ones in your photo went independent!  I think the other photo I attached is of those three (a female and two males?) when they were still together in Feb 2014.

DSCN0986_edited_3.jpg

DSCN2176.JPG

4 people like this

@amybatt  It was two males and a female (Imani).  Thank you for sharing the 2015 photos....I did not see any of that family in 2014.

1 person likes this

In post #268 of this thread, @douglaswise asked some pointed questions about whether the Mara Cheetah Project's  "costs required to run the Project can be justified by any likely conservation gains. "

Nothing wrong with applying critical thinking to such questions, and all conservation projects should be able to answer such queries.

I recently saw mention of the following peer-reviewed publication on MCP's Facebook page (along with a neat video of the 5-male coalition):

"We are excited that our latest research on human-wildlife conflict has just been published in Ecology and Evolution: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ece3.3565/full

Human-carnivore conflict is a primary driver of carnivore declines and can inflict substantial costs on local communities. Resolving and mitigating these conflicts is therefore of primary concern to carnivore conservation and human livelihoods.

Using data from 820 interviews we looked at both husbandry practices and environmental variables to help predict attacks on livestock enclosures and with that we made a map of areas where attacks on bomas are most likely to occur. We are hoping that the results will be used by management and community members to prioritise mitigation efforts to minimise human-wildlife conflict.

This study was carried out in collaboration with the Mara Lion Project and was kindly funded by the African Wildlife Foundation, Basecamp Foundation Kenya- BCFK and numerous private donors."

While their conclusions (see 'Discussion' section) are not earth-shattering revelations, to me they seem worthwhile and an incremental improvement of the state of knowledge.

Thanks for locating and sharing the above research paper @offshorebirder 

1 person likes this

Take a look on Twitter for Mara Cheetah Project's post today on the five musketeers.  They took down something huge last night and are all laying around with ENORMOUS bellies.  It's funny to see all five so bloated, but it's also a testament to how successful they are as a team of hunters!  I asked MCP what they thought they might have eaten and the replied that it was likely a very large wildebeest.