bettel

Mara cheetahs

259 posts in this topic

@@Zarek Cockar - have you seen the 5 males?

I'd love to!!!!

I haven't. I always seem to be in a different part of the mara from them! I'd love to as well!

1 person likes this

Kicheche posted on Facebook this morning that the five male coalition made a visit to Kicheche Bush Camp last night. So they're still together and still making their presence known around OMC. Now that camps are reopening in the area after rainy season, it'll be great to hear more frequent updates!

2 people like this

Those folks from "Cheetah forever" seem to report a Lion attack on Musiara's cubs and 3 of her 4 cubs are believed to have been taken! ..... Too sad! but that's the circle of life ......... "Cheetah forever" seem to be shell shocked that they were unable to help!

Posted (edited)

I just learned that Musiara has lost all but 1 cub. That is an update from Brent Leo-Smith a guide from the drives I watch. She had 5 when we first saw her.

Edited by Lyss

Please tell me that the Cheetah Forever people didn't honestly think they were going to protect cheetahs from natural predators!

Just read their post on FB @@madaboutcheetah @@amybatt Makes you wonder if their interference made things worse. Still amazes me they are permitted to do it.

I note that their website has no reports since 2016 although they are still reporting on FB

@@wilddog I wonder if CF's hovering about wasn't the equivalent of a neon arrow over Musiara and her cubs "something to see here, lions!"

Posted (edited)

The hyena probably picked up on it also. Hyena are incredibly cleaver. In the Sabi Sands they will section off den sites because of the risk of predation to cubs. The hyena in the Sabi Sands have learned that the vehicles can lead to potential prey and sometimes dens if they are lingering too often.

Edited by Lyss

@@Lyss Sabi Sands is a concession in the Kruger area so may be permitted to section off areas. This would not I believe be permitted at all in the Mara.

However there have been some interventions in the Mara in the last 12 months. It is clear from earlier discussions that the activities of the group concerned are generally not approved of by many on ST. And it is not clear who, if anyone has given them the authority to do this.

It does seem that she has lost the majority of her cubs which is very sad.

@@amybatt did you read the segment about the group trying to drive off the hyena at night 1am (!) and subsequently the lions moved in?

@@wilddog Technically the Sabi Sands is its' own entity with it's own governing body, but because it is comprised of private farms each can set its' own rules but the general rule is to leave mothers and newborns be until it is determined they are old enough to either climb in the case of leopards or they aren't completely helpless as with lion and other cubs. I couldn't see why it wouldn't be a general practice everywhere. I get that it's a NP, but I would think it would just be a common courtesy to give new mother space until it deemed appropriate.

I also don't agree with this group as it then sets a standard for those who witness and decide it is okay to follow their leads. I hope that is not the case for most but for the few that go over the top I could see them using this example that they demonstrated to being their reasoning behind chasing off animals they deem a threat to their sighting.

@@wilddog - prior to my last trip to the Mara I was under the impression that "Cheetah Forever" by their actions of crowd policing played an important part ...... However, as mentioned I was shell shocked when I saw the Off-road permits being issued for as little as $100 per vehicle (equivalent in Kenyan Shillings) ........ There is a reason why they are not permitted into the conservancies or the Mara Triangle!!!

Those folks from "Cheetah forever" seem to report a Lion attack on Musiara's cubs and 3 of her 4 cubs are believed to have been taken! ..... Too sad! but that's the circle of life ......... "Cheetah forever" seem to be shell shocked that they were unable to help!

You are following them Hari? Oh the things we do for love!

1 person likes this

Very much so ........ They do post some wonderful photos from a French photographer

;)

1 person likes this

I think it is too cruel to blame them for this. I mean like crueler than we can probably imagine... Still it is hard not to wonder!

We found Musiara and her remaining cub in the Olare Motorgi Conservancy on Friday 23 June.

Kenya5_0969 Musaria.jpg

4 people like this

~ @AmyT

That's a cute shot, with her cub nestled down behind mom.

Tom K.

4 hours ago, Tom Kellie said:

~ @AmyT

That's a cute shot, with her cub nestled down behind mom.

Tom K.

Eh, it's not. Here's a better one. :)

kenya5_0961.jpg

4 people like this

~ @AmyT

You're spoiling us!

Thank you for that sweet image.

Makes my night.

Tom K.

@AmyT Is that the cutest thing ever?!?!!?  What an adorable little fluffball! :wub:

1 person likes this

Oh my god!! Well now that they've been caught on film interfering with nature, I have to think that can be turned over to the right authorities??? (for those who can't see the video, a clearly marked vehicle chases off a lion which is stalking a female cheetah with tiny cubs)

1 person likes this

@Antee, whether disgusting is the correct description I don't know but is it conservation or preservation? Has the Mara and surrounds now become so managed by humans, whether wildlife, farming, resource wise, that intervention is needed? What of the times when lions have been treated for their injuries? Can wildlife really be allowed just to get on with it now in such a environment? And should human interference extend not only to predatory species but prey species? Where does it all end? With Leakey's call from a few years back to fence all protected areas? Here, (1989) and 27 years later, here, (2016). Fence in areas, especially the Mara, and there goes the migration, and likewise, at some stage, there'll need to be management of predator species...

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, amybatt said:

Oh my god!! Well now that they've been caught on film interfering with nature, I have to think that can be turned over to the right authorities??? (for those who can't see the video, a clearly marked vehicle chases off a lion which is stalking a female cheetah with tiny cubs)

The sad thing is that they obviously have permission from the authorities to behave like this. 

It's their way to do "conservation" work.

For me, this is something else. Therefore I used the word "disgusting". Thats totally my own opinion. I have respect for others thoughts on this. I mean they don't hesitate to throw things at the animals and on this film they seem to not care If they even drive over them.

Luckily they are still banned from the private concessions and there is a reason why...

Edited by Antee
2 people like this