bettel

Mara cheetahs

286 posts in this topic

There was a suggestion to have a topic with updates on Mara cheetahs. I think it is a great idea as there are a lot of places where updates are posted (or maybe somebody just recently traveled and knows first hand information) so it will be nice to have them in one topic. At least I love to know who to look for on safaris ;)

I will start with quite sad news. It was posted on Olare Motorogi Conservancy page: https://www.facebook.com/Olare-Motorogi-Conservancy-512622932155217/timeline/

Some very sad news- We report the passing of one of the most known characters of the central Mara. Yesterday one of the very well known cheetah brothers known as the Olololo boys was reported to have died on the conservancy. These two males have been around for very many years and may be responsible for siring many of the recent offspring in the area. The cause of death was reported as a possible cat flu, the research team and vets have done what they can in the past few days, the other brother seems to be recovering.

2 people like this

I am also coping @@loafer247 post here

I'd try and clarify the cheetah picture in the Mara at the moment (based on talking to Elena and the guides). These are the females with cubs at the moment:

Imani (currently near Rekero) - 4 cubs

Malaika (currently near Lookout) - 4 cubs

Miale - 2 cubs

Nora / Nolari (same cheetah) - 3 cubs

Rani / Musiara (same cheetah), currently at Olkiombo - 3 cubs

Rosa - 2 cubs I think

Kakenya (currently in Mara Triangle) - 4 cubs

There is a very sad news today from Mara Meru Cheetah project :(

https://www.facebook.com/MaraMeruCheetahProjectDrElenaChelysheva/

"Sad news - Talek river has taken one more life of Malaika's cubs. Today around 4 pm when the family was crossing the full flowing river, one cub was attacked, killed and later eaten by a crocodile."

1 person likes this

OMG -

@@madaboutcheetah I just posted on your TR as well. Really upset that she lost another cub. She was doing and still is doing well.

~ @@bettel

Thank you for sharing this sad news with us.

Having photographed her cubs when newborns, this hurts.

Growing up as a cheetah is a tough course.

Tom K.

Posted (edited)

Mara Meru Cheetah Project posted on Facebook yesterday that Imani (Amani's daughter) has three visible wounds on her, one is sizeable (and reminiscent of Siena's with all sorts of anatomy showing) from the photos in her lower flank reaching to the top of her hip.. She's still successfully hunting Tommies the last few days and feeding her four cubs though. They say she's approaching the Tommies through dense grass and attacking with a short strike rather than running long distances like she might. Mara rangers are watching her as well as local guides and they are taking measures to ensure she's not disturbed. No word on veterinary intervention.

Edited by amybatt
1 person likes this

Why would they intervene with a vet?

Well, their pattern lately has been to treat injuries like this...

1 person likes this

I thought that intervention only occurred when the animal was injured due to human behavior eg. Snares, poisoning, road injuries etc.

I know two cases when they allow vet intervention:

1) when an injury happened due to humans

2) if an animal is endangered.

Cheetahs are considered to be vulnerable and in some areas endangered so they are pretty often helped by vets if possible.

1 person likes this

Mara Meru Cheetah Project (on Facebook) reported that Imani lost one female cub to lions yesterday. However, they report her wounds are healing, and said that the cubs have been licking them clean, which is apparently good (for the wounds). Interesting.

1 person likes this

Sad about her cub.

Saliva is apparently a great wound healer. Not sure if it has some magic ingredient.

Domestic cats and dogs lick wounds instinctively too.

In fact lots of humans lick a scratch/cut when it first occurs and then of course start to rely on manufactured antiseptics

2 people like this

Saliva is apparently a great wound healer. Not sure if it has some magic ingredient.

In fact lots of humans lick a scratch/cut when it first occurs and then of course start to rely on manufactured antiseptics

~ @@wilddog

I'm numbered among those who do so.

A lifelong habit.

To date, no ill effects.

Lately I've rubbed a spot of honey on wounds...i.e. after having licked them.

Tom K.

Posted (edited)

~ @@wilddog

I'm numbered among those who do so.

A lifelong habit.

To date, no ill effects.

Lately I've rubbed a spot of honey on wounds...i.e. after having licked them.

Tom K.

I've seen a lot of posts online lately about medicinal honey being used on some of the wounds rangers are finding on the wildlife, particularly rhinos. This was the first I'd heard of it as a healing treatment! Honey and green clay which Sheldricks Wildife Trust uses a lot on snared elephants.

Edited by amybatt
1 person likes this

I've seen a lot of posts online lately about medicinal honey being used on some of the wounds rangers are finding on the wildlife, particularly rhinos. This was the first I'd heard of it as a healing treatment! Honey and green clay which Sheldricks Wildife Trust uses a lot on snared elephants.

~ @@amybatt

I'm certainly no board certified clinician.

Nevertheless, if you'll give me leave to do so, I'll whisper: “It works, it works, it works!

Not much needed...just a dab.

For me, has stopped infection, reduced inflammation, staunched minor bleeding.

Having written that, I recognize that reliable medical advice is best received from qualified physicians.

Tom K., Friend of Honeybees

2 people like this

I think I would keep licking it after putting honey on! :D

5 people like this

I am wondering if somebody heard how are things with Amani (@@loafer247, please, please :) )? I believe I saw Mara cheetah project update that she was very pregnant in Sep-Oct but I have not seen anything for her since then.

She might have gone off into the Serengeti, @@bettel ............. Can't remember for sure (so take my comment as a ?) I think I vaguely remember reading that she went into Tanzania.

I have read that Imani is recovering well htough from her wounds.

@@bettel - Amani lost a litter of cubs to Jackals in Mara North Conservancy in the middle of last year. Since then, she has been seen on sporadic occasions (I last saw her in July at OMC) and was thought to be pregnant in October. However no one has seen her with cubs in the last few weeks. Will check the latest situation on the ground and get back to you.

Amani has a huge home range - more so than many other cheetahs. It ranges from Northern Serengeti right to the northern most Mara conservancies - and especially when she doesn't have cubs she moves around an awful lot.

Thank you, @@loafer247 and @@madaboutcheetah I was so hoping to see her in Feb :) but I guess it is not realistic :)

I have read that Imani is recovering well htough from her wounds.

Yes, I read it too and I think I read that she lost a cub recently and that she now has two.

Since my trip in September the number of cubs decreased quite a lot: Malaika lost one, Nolari lost three (she is now has only one), Imani lost one :(.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I'm curious too, @@bettel. I see a lot about her last offspring Imani, but haven't seen anything on Amani in a while. Your guides at Porini Lion know her well, maybe they'll be able to tell you!!

Edited by amybatt
1 person likes this

@@amybatt, I saw Amani in Sep, I also saw her 3 year old son Hodari, but I was hoping to see Amani again in Feb. I sent email to Elena (from Mara Meru cheetah project) maybe she knows for sure if Amani is away in Tanzania or we will have chances to see her :)