Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Game Warden

Central African Republic Travel Warning

3 posts in this topic

Reports www.travel.state.gov in a tavel advisory.

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens against all travel to the Central African Republic (CAR) due to an unpredictable security situation subject to rapid deterioration, activities of armed groups, and violent crime. The border between Chad and CAR is currently closed. Other land border crossings may close at short notice.

To read the article in full, click here.

@@Rod Cassidy, can you provide any on the ground updates? How is it affecting you? Stay safe there in Sangha Lodge.

I hope this travel warning is another overly cautious / overly broad warning from the US State Dept. And that things improve after the October elections...

@@Game Warden

As far as I know, the security situation is fine at Sangha Lodge even now. Most of the issues seem to be in Bangui and the rest of the country (esp. the North and Center, as well as E), but the SW corner that Dzanga Sangha is in is isolated and still relatively safe. Most travel warnings for CAR - US and UK included - are "blanket" travel warnings that don't really try to differentiate between the different parts of the country, so I would imagine that for the foreseeable future, we will be seeing many of these travel alerts for the entire CAR. That said, I really hope the situation in the country, at least in Bangui, Dzanga Sangha, and Chinko, improves enough so that these places can get back onto the tourism map as they were before the coup/rebellion in 2013.

Hope Rod is doing fine and would like to hear an update from him. Happy (and a little sad at the same time) to hear that Pangy will begin a new chapter of her life, independent and wild, in the forest. Rehabilitating and raising a Black-bellied Pangolin to an adult like this is an incredible accomplishment.

2 people like this