Yes I did see Wildebeest

CaroleE

I like to hear about the night drive - we've arranged one in Tarangire for when we're there in February, hopefully ours is so interesting. I agree, not only am I attracted to seeing the animals, but also just being out with no one around sounds great.

@@CaroleE

Nice read! But what happened to the photos?

No good or even half good photos from the night drive or the journey to the Serengeti to post.

But I have just been looking at the Serengeti photos and I will be posting some of those soon. Need to do at least one more cull though...... Also think of a few words to go with them.

Cheetah and ele in one view is great diversity.

Is the leopard on the lower right branch, sitting? If not, at least I saw the cheetah. :rolleyes:

Sorry to say the leopard isn't in a sitting position in the photo.

I will leave it a while longer, in case anyone else wants to have a guess. Then find a way to add a very big 'it is here' arrow to a post :)

The eles and cheetah together were great!

I like to hear about the night drive - we've arranged one in Tarangire for when we're there in February, hopefully ours is so interesting. I agree, not only am I attracted to seeing the animals, but also just being out with no one around sounds great.

Great to hear you have arranged a night drive during your visit.

''...being out with no one around...'' is exactly it. Fantastic experience.

Cheetah and ele in one view is great diversity.

Is the leopard on the lower right branch, sitting? If not, at least I saw the cheetah. :rolleyes:

Sorry to say the leopard isn't in a sitting position in the photo.

I will leave it a while longer, in case anyone else wants to have a guess. Then find a way to add a very big 'it is here' arrow to a post :)

The eles and cheetah together were great!

In the center of the tree, shaded. I was looking for a tail hanging down but did not see it.

A little teaser for things to come......

post-49465-0-21927800-1446071173_thumb.jpg

Still reviewing Serengeti photos. I am hoping to get something of this part of the trip done before the weekend.

OK I'm feeling generous here's another. A tree on the dry Serengeti plains.

post-49465-0-31896200-1446071491_thumb.jpg

Hello CaroleE, I am a newbie, I joined yesterday. I am in the process of planning a trip to some of the same areas you are reporting about. We plan to go next September or early October. I have really enjoyed reading your report and looking at your photos is adding to my excitement.

We have travelled a fair bit, but this will be our first trip to Africa. From what I have been reading on ST, it sounds like going on safari is addictive.

I am looking forward to reading about the second part of your trip. Thank you!

@

Firstly, welcome to Safaritalk!

Great to hear that you are planning your first trip to Africa. As you say safaris are indeed addictive so be prepared that this first trip will be the first of many.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my trip report and I am pleased that it is adding to the excitement during the build up to your travels.

If you would like to, please introduce yourself over on the Introductions topic. I and am sure others would like to hear more about yourself and also your plans for next year.

P.S. I have just realised that your reply here was your first post on ST. Rather proud that this was on my trip report :)

Serengeti Day 1

''Good morning. I have your tea for you''

One of the nicest things to hear. Hearing this you know you are on safari and you have a day of adventures ahead of you.

I unzipped my tent, had the first cup of tea outside and welcomed in the morning.

After getting myself and my stuff together I went back outside, only to sprint back inside to grab a camera. This was my view. The photos aren't that great but it was a beautiful start to the day.

post-49465-0-74328800-1446217806_thumb.jpg

A quick breakfast and we were off. I had discussed plans with my guide Benson the previous evening. I did want to see a crossing but didn't want to spend all my time waiitng by the river until that happened. There were so many more things to see in the Serengeti. We had made a plan, today we would concentrate on the area around the river and hope to see a crossing. If/once that was achieved I could go and find the other wildlife.

The camp is really close to the Mara river and crossing point number 2 so we didn't have far to travel.

A short time later one solitary wildebeest made its way to the water's edge. Was he going to go? Yes! A very lonely wildebeest made his way over to the other bank. Well it was a crossing, probably a bit smaller then I had expected but that was my first crossing :)

post-49465-0-88886100-1446218971_thumb.jpg

Then we had elephants crossing the river. 3 adults and a young one. Luckily the river wasn't too high and the youngest one got easily accross. An elephant crossing!

post-49465-0-13418400-1446219069_thumb.jpg

We moved further along the river and waited somewhere between crossing points 2, 1 and 0. For those who don't know there are 8 crossing points on the river. Each not a defined spot but covering serveral metres of river bank. There were a few other vehicles. Each hanging back from the waters edge, waiting. Benson then pointed out the other side of the river. Masses and masses of wildebeest. So many the area was brown/black. Almost no ground was visible. Judging by the line I could see even more were arriving. Wow! It was definitely worth waiting. With that huge number and sheer volume of animals they had to cross. Didn't they?

post-49465-0-06980200-1446217745_thumb.jpg

There were a few vultures around so that gave me something to look at. Benson told me his last group of guests had been here for 4 days and had seen one crossing on their last morning but it was very small with only approxiamately 20-30 animals. Hmmmm, was I likely to see one. I had by now (foolishly?) discounted my one wildebeest crossing of earlier! I tried not to dare to hope and get my expectations up. Originally a crossing wasn't really high on my list to see when I booked this trip but now I was here I really wanted to see one. Every so often someone checked what the wildebeest were doing. Were they moving? If so where to. Hopefully towards the river. There was also a constant radio commentary. Will they. won't they?

Everyone waited.

Edited by CaroleE

.......and waited. For 3 hours or so.

Occassionally we moved the vehicle to a slightly different position but stayed in the general area of the river.

Then all hell broke loose. The radio sprang to life, Benson gunned the engine and we flew off. It could mean only one thing. Yep they were crossing. Crossing point 1. Not too far away. Not too many vehicles when we got there and Benson positioned the vehicle so I had an unobstructed view. The light and in particular the sun wasn't doing me any favours but I soon rattled off a few shots. Wildebeest crossing the Mara. It is one of those iconic wildlife events you hope to see once. And here I was doing exactly that :)

post-49465-0-10668700-1446223193_thumb.jpg

post-49465-0-24773400-1446223299_thumb.jpg

They stopped for a short period but soon moved further along the bank and a new group of wildebeest hurtled towards the water. This wasn't the best place to cross, the river bank was pretty high. Close by there was an easier route but the herd wasn't taking that. One had gone into the river at a spot and the rest followed. Herd mentality!

post-49465-0-90757700-1446223419_thumb.jpg

post-49465-0-51394400-1446223074_thumb.jpg

A group of zebra were also by the river bank. They took more time, checked if all was ok before heading towards the water. A small number of them crossed over, not with a group of wildebeest but by themsleves. Luckily they all made it over.

post-49465-0-28785800-1446223541_thumb.jpg

Eventually the wildebeest stopped crossing. If I look at the time stamps on my photos they were crossing for around 20 minutes. Astonishing to see.

Half an hour after the first crossing we got another call. Crossing at point 0. Off we flew. Again getting there in time. The wildebeest were still crossing. There looked to be a big number of animals waiting to cross. Very quickly we had a double crossing, with two rows of wildebeest crossing at the same time.

post-49465-0-87023600-1446225296_thumb.jpg

The numbers of wildebeest crossing was causing a bottleneck on the other bank. There were tens of wildebeest struggling to get out of the water. Again they had not chosen the easiest entry and exit points.

post-49465-0-94103800-1446225414_thumb.jpg

On the right bank wildebeest were literally launching themselves into the water. Jumping into the water without aparrant care where they were going to land.

post-49465-0-85132200-1446225507_thumb.jpg

post-49465-0-39470600-1446225199_thumb.jpg

This one obviously didn't like the other side of the river so went back. Not the last wildebeest I saw doing this

post-49465-0-76056500-1446226211_thumb.jpg

A few minutes later, another one

I think this is a good point to give an honest and frank opinion. Wildebeest are stupid animals. My evidence is above.

Over the next few days this opinion didn't change and simply became more entrenched. But they don't need to think of what they are doing, possibly look for an easier crossing point in order to increase their chances of survival. With millions of them making the migration and crossing the river, intelligence isn't needed. If they lose a few along the way, in the great scheme of things it doesn't matter. The indivdual isn't important. The herd is. Maybe that is why they have remained stupid.

Whilst these thoughts were forming in my head the wildebeest were still crossing. In huge numbers. They would stop for a while, then another animal would dive into the water and they were off again. Suddenly Benson said we have to leave.and he sped off. A couple of minutes later he slowed own and explained. Where the crossing had been there is an area where no vehicles are allowed. Other vehicles had seen a park's vehicle approaching and no-one wanted to be fined so off they all sped. The next day I heard that the guides' representatives had spoken to TANAPA. The guides' opinion was simple: Tanzania and TANAPA wanted tourists, tourists came to the Serengeti to see the migration and crossings but the guides were not allowed into an area were crossings were happening. They wanted a change in the rules and to be allowed into the area around crossing point 0. I heard from Benson that TANAPA had accepted the guides arguments and that they would be allowed into the area in their vehicles.

Not long after, another radio call. Crossing at point 2. A third crossing this was turning into a spectacular morning!

This time even more zebra crossing with the wildebeest. All got accross.

post-49465-0-89987800-1446227450_thumb.jpg

post-49465-0-84142500-1446228367_thumb.jpg

All was not well with the zebra though. The male began to call. Initially I couldn't see why. Was there a predator and it was an alarm call? The male moved back towards the river and called again. I then realised that the largest part of the herd were stlll on the opposite bank.and he was calling for the rest of the group to folow him over. Those on the other bank milled around the water's edge but didn't cross over. The male's calls became even louder and rather plaintive. The guides then called each other and all the vehicles moved further back from the river or hid behind trees and bushes. In case we were the cause of the zebra not daring to cross over.

A very good example of the thoughtful and respectful behaviour of the guides in the Serengeti. They were not always doing everything they could to ensure their guest got closest to the river and then maintained that position to the detriment to other guests and the wildlife. I saw numerous occassions when the guides removed their vehicles from a potentially good position so that animals were given sufficient space. Also compliments to the guests who didn't complain and allowed their guides to do this.

But the zebra were not willing to cross over. A couple of times they made their way to the water's edge and looked like they could be about to cross. But something was still stopping them. The male was still without most of his herd. After ten minutes or so he stopped calling and moved the small group away from the river bank. Maybe the rest of the herd would cross over later.

It was getting hot. It had been an incredible morning. It was time for lunch.

Edit

I was hoping to get more of this trip report completed before I leave but it's not going to happen. I will therefore have to leave you all at lunchtime on day 1 after a thrilling morning in the Serengeti.

So as the saying goes: to be continued........

Edited by CaroleE

From one to a few more than one. That escalated quickly. You really did get to see some wildebeest didn't you? Great luck to arrive right on time.

Maybe the zebra mares liked the look of a stallion still on their bank? But who knows with zebras.

We'll wait to see what's next.

@@pault

Yes it all did change very quickly. Crazy, incredible, astonishing morning! My timing was perfect:-)

Who knows what was happening with the zebra. We were away from the river bank by that time so maybe they spotted a croc or two (they were around) Who knows.

CaroleE just read all of your report from the beginning. Great report and photos - looking forward to the rest of it.

We have recently returned from Tanzania ( started my report with an intro and some 'taster' photos but still editing our photos so the proper report is still pending) , and also stayed at Serengeti Mara area.

We were in that location from the 5th to 8 th Oct, when were you there ?

Your three wildebeest crossings in one morning looked spectacular, and you were very lucky to see so many in one morning.

If you really like Baobab trees then go to Ruaha - there are many - we even saw a Baobab forest in Ruaha.

Edited by Julian

Wow! I am really enjoying your trip report. These pics are amazing. How exciting it must have been. I have already changed my name. Thanks for the welcome after my first post. When I can get myself to stop researching for a few minutes I will look for the Introduction post. :)

Really nice wildebeest shots. The wait definitely paid off.

Yes you did see Wildebeest indeed. Great crossing experiences! Had to laugh about your Insult regarding the wildebeest intelligence. We have the Big 5, the Small 5, the Ugly 5. Maybe we should come up with the Stupid 5? :)

That night drive in Tarangire was very productive, even if you didn´t get your Honey Badger.

• 2 weeks later...

CaroleE just read all of your report from the beginning. Great report and photos - looking forward to the rest of it.

We have recently returned from Tanzania ( started my report with an intro and some 'taster' photos but still editing our photos so the proper report is still pending) , and also stayed at Serengeti Mara area.

We were in that location from the 5th to 8 th Oct, when were you there ?

Your three wildebeest crossings in one morning looked spectacular, and you were very lucky to see so many in one morning.

If you really like Baobab trees then go to Ruaha - there are many - we even saw a Baobab forest in Ruaha.

Thank you. Great to hear you are enjoying the report. I am off to find yours now and 'compare' notes!

I was in the Serengeti from 7th to 11th September.

I was amazed to see three crossings in one morning!

Thanks for the tip about Ruaha. It has been on my to visit list for a while now and now you have given met yet another reason to go

Wow! I am really enjoying your trip report. These pics are amazing. How exciting it must have been. I have already changed my name. Thanks for the welcome after my first post. When I can get myself to stop researching for a few minutes I will look for the Introduction post. :)

Thank you!

Ah yes research......always fun but very time consuming!

Really nice wildebeest shots. The wait definitely paid off.

Thanks. Definitely worth the wait.

Amazing how long I can sit and wait when wildlife is involved....with other things impatience comes sometimes too easily!

Welcome back from Zambia, Carole, hope you had a great time!

Yes you did see Wildebeest indeed. Great crossing experiences! Had to laugh about your Insult regarding the wildebeest intelligence. We have the Big 5, the Small 5, the Ugly 5. Maybe we should come up with the Stupid 5? :)

That night drive in Tarangire was very productive, even if you didn´t get your Honey Badger.

Liking the idea of the Stupid 5 :)

Night drives are great fun. If they are offered I always try and fit one in.

Welcome back from Zambia, Carole, hope you had a great time!

Thanks Michael. South Luangwa was fantastic. Returned home last night. It is going to take a while to process all I have seen.

First challenge: going cold turkey from the safari bubble!

@@michael-ibk

And welcome back from Zim! Hope you had a great time.

I've already spotted your trip report. WIll be having a read of it later.....