Sariska Tiger Reserve Tour - June, 2015

Vinod Goel

In spite of hearing lot about Sariska Tiger Reserve, reading many articles & book references since my childhood, I could make my first trip as late as in the year of 2000, when I had no idea about wildlife and had no plans to become a full time wildlife photographer… but now I realize that my destiny was locked to become one… Wild Life Photographer & Writer and will make trips after trips to this place known for elusive Tigers.

We were very excited to see the pugmarks of Tiger during the safari on the main route to the famous Hanuman Temple at Pandupol, inside the park, and to our utter surprise our guide informed us that we were fortunate to see the pugmarks of the big cat... that was a treat for the amateurs like us. However the big cat eluded us that time.

It was 25th May, 2011, almost a decade later, when I have turned into a full-fledged wildlife photographer and writer despite holding the crucial post of Commissioner of Customs, Airport & Aircargo, New Delhi, I got the golden opportunity to visit Sariska and stay put there for a day. I saw a male Tiger ST6 in the late evening near the forest Chowki Slopka.

vulture-sariska-habitat.jpg Vultures at Sariska Tiger Reserve

My love affair with Sariska continued. I visited Sariska with my entire family to celebrate New Year eve – 2013. On the 1st January, 2013 early morning, we had glimpses of Tigress ST3 while crossing the road in the temperature of minus (-)3 degree centigrade. Again in November, 2013 we encountered ST6 after a long time, when it allowed us to click memorable shots while moving towards our vehicle and marking the trees with its urine as well as with its paws.

tiger-sariska.jpg

Last year, in 2014, Sariska revealed a secret, which every wildlifer would love to click… in the afternoon safari in the Brahmanand area, I was clicking a female Sambar feeding milk to its Fawn & a male Sambar came forward and pressed his mouth between the hind legs to suck milk. It was unique and eye opener for us.

Sariska-tiger-reserve-deer.jpg

when I discussed this with famous wild life film maker Nallamathu and Dr K Shankar from Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun, both of them were surprised & even were not ready to believe unless until I shared the photographs. Even Dr Faiyaz Khudsar, scientist from Yamuna Biodiversity Park, Delhi too was surprised & termed it a rare event in the natural history.

Since, I had been devoting my entire time, money & energy in wildlife photography & writing since my retirement on 31st January, 2015, I thought of visiting the Park at the end of June this year before it is closed down for the rains. It may be worth mentioning that Sariska & many of other parks close down for tourists from 1st July on account of rains every year.

sunrise-sariska.jpg

This time my itinerary was prepared by the team of Wildnest Travel & Photography, owned by my son Bharat & my nephew Ankit, who have left their respective highly paid software jobs to launch the startup. In fact, Bharat accompanied me to Sariska as he and his team members do with their other clients. We stayed at Sariska Tiger Heaven property earlier owned by Dinesh Durani, founder of Sariska Tiger Foundation, now leased to M/S Sterling Resorts. It was a pleasant stay.

peacock-fighting-sariska.jpg

Although I was very keen on clicking Peafowls because of the fact that Sariska has the largest population of Peafowls not only in India, but on the entire planet. But, my guide Puran strongly insisted to go in search for a Tiger as we could not see any Tiger in 3 previous safaris. He had already zeroed down to two most probable locations as well.

tiger-sariska-india.jpg

Based on information of Puran and Bharat’s sources, we proceeded to Kundali Anicut on 29th June during the afternoon safari, where a tourist had already spotted Tigress ST2 with grown up cubs in the same afternoon. By the time we reached the spot, the entire Tiger family had moved from the waterbody. We could see the Tigress climbing the hill & I was lucky to photograph the mother as soon as it stopped to look at us. Later, we could see the cubs also as they were moving separately. We saw the entire family together, but could click the mother only.

This was my first sighting of a Tiger family in Sariska in 15 years. No doubt Sariska had lost almost all the Tigers due to illegal poaching mastermind by Sansar Chand and gang, but the good news is that it is trying to regain its place again.

At present, there are 13 Tigers in the park and the Tiger population is bound to increase provided they are not poached. The population of Tigers is not increasing with the same pace matching another famous Park - Panna Tiger Reserve in Madhya Pradesh due to - problem in relocating number of villages outside the park, passing of a highway through the park.

Normally, poaching rate is higher when the park is closed for the rains for a period of three months. In the rest of nine months, guides, drivers, tourists & wild life lovers keep the park busy and leaves no room for the poachers, while there are ample room for the poachers during the closed days.

I do suggest, the State Government should think of creating a buffer zone out of the total area of about 1300 sq km and that could be opened to the tourists throughout the year. This would not only reduce poaching, but also give ample employment for the people nearby…and keep our love affair with the park intact for years to come…

Click here to read more about Sariska Tiger Resrve, How to reach Sariska and other details

Sariska-tiger-reserve.jpg

Edited by Vinod Goel

@@Vinod Goel Welcome aboard Safaritalk and thank you for this reports and images from Sariska. I've moved it to the India Trip Reports subforum which is more appropriate.

If you get time, please do introduce yourself by starting a new topic here.

I hope you can persuade Ankit and Bharat from Wildnest to join Safaritalk and start posting in the Operators Forum.

I look forward to many more of your contributions.

Matt

~ @@Vinod Goel

Welcome to Safaritalk!

You've made a great first post, with terrific photos from Sariska.

I didn't realize that Sariska is so rich in peafowl.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit.

Tom K.

@@Vinod Goel

Welcome to ST. The wildlife bug is quite contagious, but to some of us it takes time to manifest itself (in our system). In my case, though i was bitten by it in 1978 when i visited Jim Corbett National Park, i realised i was hooked only in 2013. :)

Your photographs are very good and look forward to hear more reports and photos.

Vinod,

Stunning pictures and excellent report. Thank you. Welcome to Safaritalk.

Edited by AKR1

Thank you for the update on Sariska, last I heard/saw was a documentary from a few years back where re-introduction wasn't going too well. Current count of 13 is impressive given the pressures on this reserve. Good news is always welcome and appreciated.

@@AKR1 - Thank you so much for taking time out to read the report and pictures. I'm glad you liked it. I hope to visit again and let you know the latest happenings as the park has just opened for the winters today morning.

Great starter! I am very envious, and like you have always wanted to go to India's wild parks for a long time. Haven't yet though! :(
The tigers are fantastic, and I really like the 2 vultures looking at each other in the vegetation.
Have you ever seen one of the park's striped hyaenas, which are apparently numerous there?

Welcome @@Vinod Goel - great trip report with lovely photos. I especially liked the one of the peafowl. Thank you for sharing with us.

Welcome, Sariska does look very appealing.

Welcome Vinod

A great start here, I hope with promise of more to come :)

Splendid trip report, and fantastic pictures.

@@Big_Dog

Thank you so much for going through the report.As you have not been to India till date for observing wildlife ,i can assure that you will not repent. As asked i may inform you that i have been fortunate to observe striped hynas in day time when we were waiting for the tiger in 2013.I would love to answer your doubts.

@@Earthian

Thanks for your intrest in the report.I am glad that you not only liked but appreciated it.This would encourage me to do much better in future and visit other unexplored areas.

@@Gregor

Thanks Gregor for appreciating the work done.i shall try to inform about other places too which i have visited in the recent past.

@@Vinod Goel

Thank you for posting this - your photos are beautiful.

I really like the one of the lady in orange walking down the road

@@michael-ibk

No doubt .Apart from tigers and leopard it is known for landscape and valleys. it is also good for birding during monsoons as well as during winters when lot of migratory birds comes to various water bodies in and around Sariska Tjger Reserve.

@@TonyQ

Thanks for appreciating the photographs.

It was the last day at Sariska after which the park was to close for visitors on acconut of rains.This lady was in great mood after the morning heavy showers and without any worry from the denizens of the forest, all alone going outside the the reserve.

@@cheetah80

Thanks for liking the photograph of peafowl,the largest pheasant in the world. The best time to observe its behaviour is from March to july.

@@elefromoz

It is not only the number of tigers in the park but some of them are being observed by the tourist during game drives.Apart from big cats one can really enjoy birds especially the peacock,National bird of India.

@@Tom Kellie

Thanks for encouraging comments.

I can tell from my experience that Sariska is the best park to study the behaviour of peafowl. The best time is from March to June when the park is open for tourists.

Being a frequent visitor to wildlife destinations in india,i would share my experiences.

@@Vinod Goel Did you ever managed to photograph any of the park's hyaenas? Daytime viewing must be somewhat uncommon!

Best of luck to your son and nephew who have followed their dreams.

"Sariska has the largest population of Peafowls not only in India, but on the entire planet." Good to know.

Not only are the wildlife photos beautiful but your "person in orange" is quite stunning.

Thank you for letting me know about Sariska.

@@Atravelynn

Thanks for your good and heartfelt wishes for son and nephew.

They are also trying to make younger generation aware of rich wildlife heritage not only in india but on the planet.

Thanks for appreciating the photographs.

• 4 weeks later...

@Big_Dog These pictures were taken in 2012. Hyenas can be easily spotted both during the day and at night.

post-50075-0-51238400-1446703384_thumb.jpg

post-50075-0-10678800-1446703405_thumb.jpg

post-50075-0-13129900-1446703412_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vinod Goel

• 2 months later...

Vinod Sir, remember meeting you and Bharat on the same trip to Sariska at Durrani Ji's resort. I remember Bharat getting some nice snaps of a leopard on the resorts periphery as well. :)