Kaingu Safari Lodge - Kafue NP

Soukous

What a beautiful location and Lodge.Love the Lion adorned with the leaf, too lazy to brush it away, being stared down by that Martial Eagle, the trio of Hartebeest, Kudu and Sable (none of which I've ever seen). How innovative and simple is the "Dung burner", I'd be getting a patent on that now.

@@xelas

Thank you. My experience with TC 1.7 II coupled with 70-200, f2.8 VRII is not very good. Sharpness is definitely compromised. I shall take trials with VR off and check. same when coupled with 600mm, f4.0 VR

@@xelas

Thank you. My experience with TC 1.7 II coupled with 70-200, f2.8 VRII is not very good. Sharpness is definitely compromised. I shall take trials with VR off and check. same when coupled with 600mm, f4.0 VR

@@Earthian I am not a fan at all of VR. personally I think it is something which should be OFF unless you think it is absolutely necessary.

I know a lot of people swear by it but I have only used it on one safari and it was not a success at all.

@@Earthian

To what I have read about this TC, it does relatively well on prime lenses but fails on zooms. For f2.8 zooms the TC-E20III performs better than the TC-E17II. Yet it all depends on your criteria of sharpness and final output (downsized web posting like me or large prints). Looking forward to read about your results.

Luckily my 300 is not a VR one. Thus one thing less to worry about :) .

@@xelas

@@Earthian

To what I have read about this TC, it does relatively well on prime lenses but fails on zooms. For f2.8 zooms the TC-E20III performs better than the TC-E17II. Yet it all depends on your criteria of sharpness and final output (downsized web posting like me or large prints). Looking forward to read about your results.

Luckily my 300 is not a VR one. Thus one thing less to worry about :) .

my criteria of sharpness? When one blows the image by 200% there should be no pixellation and should look sharp as tack.

@@Earthian You can make up for that by buying me lots of beer. You should ideally take that discussion over to the photography subforum where it won't be lost in a trip report.

Thanks, Matt.

@@Soukous

This is turning out to be one mixed up post....thanks to my hijacking.

You start the post, @@KaingU Lodge adds to it, i hijack it, Matt gets the beer!

Just realised that i had apologised to the wrong man. :angry:

Edited by Earthian

@@Soukous

Waiting anxiously for next instalment we have been carried away a bit, sorry for that! All for a good cause. to present with next TR photos as good as yours!

Peter Connan

@@Soukous, Martin, thanks for this trip report! Stunning venue and stunning photography.

@@Soukous, Martin, thanks for this trip report! Stunning venue and stunning photography.

You'd really enjoy it there @@Peter Connan

such an incredible birdlife there @@Soukous. thanks for sharing! love that racket tailed roller - the blues are just amazing. and the regal fish eagle. for me, no safari trip is complete without hearing them call and the hyenas whoop.

KaingU Lodge

(Lynda has completely forbidden me to post the picture I took 10 seconds later.......... ;) )

That's quite a tease, haha.

Oh go on.. does Lynda ever look at Safaritalk?

Well, she has been reading your trip report...... but here goes!

untitled-shoot-12829-1024x684.jpg

:lol: @@KaingU Lodge that was obviously Rick's fault. It's always the guy at the back.

Thanks for sharing your trip and beautiful photography. The 300 f4 is one of my favorite lenses also.

@@Soukous

Tremendous trip report and stunning photographs! Birdlife is extraodinary.

KaingU Lodge is also coming out of this trip report very well. (Another place to add to the (ever increasing) list)

• 3 weeks later...

Terrific report and wonderful photography @@Soukous! The birdlife is stunning at this riverside location, and you captured the best. Kaingu was my favorite lodge last year in the Kafue NP with @@Caracal and John. I remember I had tears in my eyes when we three arrived in the boat, so beautiful it was; such gracious hosts; such a wonderful riverside location. Don't recall meeting John D (would have remembered his distinctive gotee!); the guiding there is superb. We usually were led by Isaac.

Hats off to Lynda, Rick, Julia and Gil, and their fine staff for maintaining such high standards, yet keeping an intimate, flexible and informal atmosphere. Hope that "The Gods Must Be Crazy" 1967 Range Rover with no doors is still chugging along for laughter-filled trips to the rapids!

Terrific report and wonderful photography @@Soukous! The birdlife is stunning at this riverside location, and you captured the best. Kaingu was my favorite lodge last year in the Kafue NP with @@Caracal and John. I remember I had tears in my eyes when we three arrived in the boat, so beautiful it was; such gracious hosts; such a wonderful riverside location. Don't recall meeting John D (would have remembered his distinctive gotee!); the guiding there is superb. We usually were led by Isaac.

Hats off to Lynda, Rick, Julia and Gil, and their fine staff for maintaining such high standards, yet keeping an intimate, flexible and informal atmosphere. Hope that "The Gods Must Be Crazy" 1967 Range Rover with no doors is still chugging along for laughter-filled trips to the rapids!

:) Louise: Isaac and JohnD swapped! Isaac went back to Busanga and John came here. In many ways a better fit as John is a skilled artist, mechanic, welder.... Isaac while a brilliant guide is just that: a guide. John has 20+ yrs experience from early days of South Luangwa through to white water guiding in Livingstone through to years in Busanga, and is a very talented guy as Martin's report made clear.

Yep the old land rover is still going! Only for rock and rapids trips... As we have a very talented mechanic in the team now it takes some of the pain out of keeping it going!

Can we not persuade you to join Clive and John next year? Thanks very much for your kind comments. Gil

@@Soukous Are you done with this? Just found it and really enjoyed it... so far? Fabulous birding.

I think I probably am done @@pault

After Kaingu Lodge I moved on to another place in Kafue which I was not impressed with at all.

I've posted some of the bird photos I got there in this thread (http://safaritalk.net/topic/15127-a-big-few-days/) but I'd rather not do a negative TR on the lodge.

@@Soukous Aha... that explains it. You could possibly tell us about the area though, without naming names - or would it give the game away? I'll have to look out your Zimbabwe part - most of this was posted while I was away.

@@Soukous

Negative reports can be valuable too - at the very least to assist others in planning with their eyes open. As long as the report is objective and fair.

However if you are uncomfortable with this, you could say generically what was wrong with the lodge or experience without naming it? Or not... it is your trip report after all :)

When on Tripadvisor I am always checking the bad reviews first! As ZaminOz said, to arrive with open eyes. And what might be a negative for one person might be a positive for us. So not all negative reports are, well, negative!

@@KainguLodge. Gil, would love to return next year, but will be in Zim for a month-long safari from mid-July, so will not be able to join Clive and John, but Kaingu will always be a favorite. Maybe a reunion in the future? .....with great guides, good food, fabulous wildlife sightings, and more book recommendations from Julia!