See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Pack for a Purpose version 3.0 -- How far we've traveled in four years

African safaris Safaris in India meaningful travel responsible tourism Pack for a Purpose wildlife giving back South Africa East Africa India

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Pack for a Purpose

Pack for a Purpose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 10:25 AM
  • Category 1:NGO
  • Category 2:NGO

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:40 PM

Since our first post in 2011, Pack for a Purpose has grown to over 485 accommodations and tour companies across the globe with more than 260 being in Africa. We also have seven accommodations and tour companies in India. All of these accommodations and tour companies offer safari experiences, and each of our participants supports local community projects ranging from schools to anti-poaching projects. Our participants focus on five initiatives: education, health, child welfare, animal welfare, and socioeconomic development. Our newly designed website can be searched by destination alone or by initiative. 

Homepage-300x209.jpg

When you choose to become a Pack for a Purpose traveler, the safari you take goes much farther than the miles you travel. By going to our website, you will find the specific needs list for the projects supported by our participants, How to Pack information, everything you need to make each safari more meaningful. Since our inception, Dec. 17, 2009, generous Pack for a Purpose travelers have taken over 40,600 kilos of supplies meeting essential needs in over 60 countries. PfaP travelers have shared their stories on our website and continue to inspire other travelers.

Our newly designed website includes our first shop, which includes high-quality Pack for a Purpose merchandise. From T-shirts to hoodies, we've got you covered. A large portion of the sales directly benefit our mission to positively impact communities around the world by assisting travelers who want to take meaningful contributions to the destinations they visit. 

shop-300x125.jpg

We encourage you to share the Pack for a Purpose website across your social media and to check back on our website from time to time as we are continually adding new safari locations. Below is a list of participants in Africa and India, current as of Sept. 18, 2015.

Africa

• Kitsafari, TonyQ, AmyT and 1 other like this
Pack for a Purpose
Small Space. Little Effort. Big Impact.
http://www.packforapurpose.org/

#2 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts
  • Local time: 10:25 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:51 AM

~ @Pack for a Purpose

Thank you for posting this information.

The list above of safari camps is especially appreciated.

I like the premise underlying your organization.

Tom K.

#3 TonyQ

TonyQ

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
  • Local time: 03:25 PM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:24 AM

@Pack for a Purpose

Thank you for posting this. We followed your guidelines when we went to Zambia - and will when we go to Kenya. I will have a look at your new website.

#4 PT123

PT123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:33 AM

@Pack for a Purpose

Thank you for posting the full list of countries/camps this - very much appreciated.  We will be bringing some school supplies (paper, pens, etc.) on our upcoming trip to Kenya.  Do we need to declare anything at customs when we enter the country?

Edited by PT123, 22 September 2015 - 09:35 AM.

#5 Pack for a Purpose

Pack for a Purpose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:10 PM

@Tom Kellie

Hi Tom, 

Thank you for your kind words. If you have the opportunity to Pack for a Purpose, we hope you'll choose to share Your Story on our website here

• Tom Kellie likes this
Pack for a Purpose

#6 Pack for a Purpose

Pack for a Purpose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:11 PM

@TonyQ

Hi Tony, 

We are thrilled to hear you will be Packing for a Purpose in Kenya! When you return from your trip, we hope you'll choose to share Your Story with us here

Pack for a Purpose

#7 Pack for a Purpose

Pack for a Purpose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:33 PM

@PT123

Hello,

We are delighted to hear you will be Packing for a Purpose on your trip to Kenya. When you return, we hope you will share Your Story on the Pack for a Purpose website here

We cannot legally provide information regarding Customs, as they differ so greatly from country to country around the world. Perhaps this is a topic you could ask others in the forum. We recommend that you check with the consulate regarding Customs before you travel. 

• PT123 likes this
Pack for a Purpose

#8 Lois Hild Photography

Lois Hild Photography

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Local time: 07:25 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:23 AM

I love your organization. We have made six donations using your web site information, and I encourage the people going on my safaris to do the same. I purchase an extra freight seat on the flights for my camera gear and I never need it all, so the rest goes for school and medical supplies. It's so good knowing that what I bring is truly needed.

• SafariChick and AmyT like this

"I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up that I was not happy." ~ Ernest Hemingway

#9 samburumags

samburumags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • Local time: 03:25 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:16 AM

When I first heard of this organisation I spoke to friends and received donations of pain killers, diabetic pens and needles, bandages etc.  I made a point of informing the airline and  customs of the contents of the bag and had not problem.    Great organisation and good to see so many lodges participating.

• AmyT likes this
But, in the gathering darkness, deep behind my soul, someone, something whispers "Africa"" (Mark Owens "Secrets of the Savannah")

#10 AmyT

AmyT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Local time: 07:25 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:26 PM

Just to bump this back up... I took extra duffel bags with English books to South America during the last two summers. I made new friends and helped to start an English language library in a bilingual school.  https://kerryedwyer.com/2015/08/ (Note: National Geographic has set up a bring-a-book program for this school, so donations are no longer needed).  I will say, though, that interacting with the community is life-changing, and I'll be packing for a purpose anywhere I go now!

#11 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,770 posts
  • Local time: 12:25 AM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:23 AM

now is a good time to go out and get supplies from the back to school sales

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#12 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,859 posts
  • Local time: 09:25 AM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

Good bump!

When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#13 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,770 posts
  • Local time: 12:25 AM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:58 AM

• budget shops are always good for things like pencils and sharpeners
  • time to get a note book at the back to school sales to write up your trip report
  • well  I knew that Lewa  could use a stop watch for researchers observations or school  sports, someone left behind a good old reliable manual one , the brand was suprising Tag Huer

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: African safaris, Safaris in India, meaningful travel, responsible tourism, Pack for a Purpose, wildlife, giving back, South Africa, East Africa, India

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.