Namibia and Zambia 2015 - What could go wrong this time

dlo

Great trip report @@dlo

I loved the light hearted style of it. Thanks for sharing.

• 4 months later...
Jaycees2012

@@dlo

Great TR. Loved the style of the report and the photos. Not sure a Polo would be a vehicle of choice for us on those roads!! :) We did a self-drive around Northern Namibia a few years ago and were happy with 2 wheel drive - but preferred something with a little more ground clearance.

South Luangwa looks stunning - very envious of those dogs!

@@Jaycees2012

Thanks for the read I'm glad you enjoyed it. The polo did a good job but it probably wouldn't be our first choice again! I think thats what we missed most was being so low to the ground in Etosha especially.

I can't wait to see dogs again and spend a little more time with them it was very exciting for us, hopefully you get them as well someday.

• 4 weeks later...

That is really up close and personal with the seals. Apparently the bird poop too. Wonder which is more pungent?

Now I remember being shocked at the seal encounters the first time I saw this. And I chuckled again at your reaction to the birders.

Edited by Atravelynn

@@Atravelynn

As close as we got to the seals we got no bad smell whatsoever! I have no idea why but we must have been upwind. On your trip to Namibia did you see the seals and was the smell as bad as I've heard?

I don't know what's going on but I've been liking lots of bird photos lately, I think I'm becoming a bit of a closet birder!

@@Atravelynn

As close as we got to the seals we got no bad smell whatsoever! I have no idea why but we must have been upwind. On your trip to Namibia did you see the seals and was the smell as bad as I've heard? I did not get to Swakopmund, but I have appreciated their unique odor in other locations.

I don't know what's going on but I've been liking lots of bird photos lately, I think I'm becoming a bit of a closet birder! I kind of thought you might be heading down that path, ID-ing the hornbill, catching the Vereaux's Eagle Owl in the sunset, and the there is the avian impersonation in the micro-light. Your flying vervet shows your knack for bifs (birds in flight) and the thick-knee had nice light in its eye. Soon you'll be frightening vehicle mates with words like rufous orbital ring!

Yes, indeed I remember this whole trip now!

I am googling rufous orbital ring as we speak!

@@dlo Great trip report and pictures. Brings back all good memories. As our trip in 2014 was our first trip to Africa we are not very familiair with all the great places but by reading all kind of reports I am collecting a few good locations for future trips. Will keep Flatdogs in my favorites for future use. Although I heard that Zambia is a little expensive.