See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Typhoid vaccine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ellenbw

Ellenbw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 03:24 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:58 PM

My doctor recommended the typhoid vaccine for my upcoming trip to Kenya. He prefers the oral, live vaccine, given in 4 pills, every other day. I filled the prescription but have not taken it yet. I already had the TDaP and Hep A. I got the Hep B started and will have 2 out the 3 shots before I leave. He did not mention the Polio booster though which I have noticed that many people get. 

I have my Malarone prescription and will take that of course.

My question is, do most people get the typhoid vaccine? I plan to drink bottled water, not eat street food, am staying at high end camps and hotels. I wonder how necessary it really is. Probably a better question for my doctor, but he prescribed it, so I know that he thinks it is important.

And what about this Polio booster? I had the oral vaccine as a child. The CDC has a lighter recommendation on that than the typhoid vaccine.

I will not be able to see my grandbaby or step-daughter for 2 weeks once I start this the typhoid vaccine due to the live vaccine aspect. My step-daughter is immune compromised due to chemo treatment and the grandbaby is an infant and is immune compromised just because of her age. 

As a side comment I am very surprised that this is not discussed more with people who will take this or any live vaccine. I brought it up with the pharmacist who gave me the 2 week window for avoiding contact. What if I hadn't asked? I don't think most people do!

#2 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,088 posts
  • Local time: 10:24 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:33 AM

I took the polio booster - yes, drops orally because it's a requirement by the Indian Government (not sure why - seems stupid to me).  My GP just filled it in the YF certificate and signed it (was never checked at the airport) so I'm thinking this was unnecessary.

Typhoid pills etc etc., is totally unnecessary -especially if you are on safari and stay at camps and lodges that have hygiene standards that are better than most of the Western world.

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#3 Earthian

Earthian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Local time: 03:54 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:21 AM

@Ellenbw

My take is that people from different places,  lifestyle, dietary habits,  environment and exposure would have different levels of immunity and risk to various diseases. Do what your doctor advises. You will sleep better and enjoy yourself without a care.

As far as i am concerned, i took the YF shot and a preventive course for Malaria.

Edited by Earthian, 05 September 2015 - 05:21 AM.

Lives of great men all remind us
   We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
   Footprints on the sands of time.

#4 Ellenbw

Ellenbw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:24 PM

Thanks all. After talking with a friend whose degree is in Pharmacy (not a practicing pharmacist, she works in medical research now), she agreed that I should take the typhoid vaccine, so I did start it. She also confirmed that it is important to stay away from anyone with a compromised immune system - 3rd person to tell me this - 2 pharmacists and and my step-daughter's cancer nutritionist. When I complained about having to 'quarantine myself, she said to me, "What if you contracted typhoid - how long do you think it would be that you couldn't see family members then?" good point - so I took it. I also asked about being in the same room but without physical contact, and she said, "do not risk it, just stay away from them for 2 weeks".

I am surprised that  there is no mention of this risk to others on the typhoid information sheet, or by my doctor. I happened to ask another doctor (who has been to Africa on 2 safaris) and she was not sure about the immune system issue but did advise me to take the typhoid vaccine as well. She was one the one that sent me back to the pharmacy for the live vaccine exposure information question. 

#5 Ellenbw

Ellenbw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:25 PM

Oh and one more thing: Since I am only going to Kenya and coming from the USA, a yellow fever shot is not necessary. 

#6 GBE

GBE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Local time: 02:24 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:11 PM

While not required, CDC does recommend.

February 2013, when transiting through NBO from USA to Tanzania we were asked for our proof of YF vaccination.  This seemed odd at the time but even more so when we weren't asked for it transiting back through NBO from TZ to USA.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.