See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Safaritalk nominated for tourism award. Edited. Runner up.

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,565 posts
  • Local time: 08:39 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:27 PM

Aww well that's a pretty great achievement!!
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#42 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,456 posts
  • Category 2:---

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:59 PM

Follow up email:

Dear Matt,

SATOA would like to take this opportunity to say CONGRATULATIONS to Safari Talk who were runners up for the category Best Travel blog/journalist at last night’s SATOA Travel Awards.

Sarah from Reve Tourism accepted the award on your behalf. Please forward me an address that we can use to courier your award. Please find attached your electronic badge which we hope you will display proudly.

To see pictures from the event click here.

Congratulations once again and we wish you a wonderful weekend ahead celebrating.

Kind regards,

Nyasha Nyaguwa
SATOA - Promoting Travel to Africa & Indian Ocean

• ZaminOz, Lala and Tom Kellie like this

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#43 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,456 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:07 PM

@kittykat23uk One must remember that these awards were based upon number of votes: I did not use ST or social media to ask people to vote for me, I've always been outspoken about not voting for such awards and that nominees should win based upon individual merit.

• Geoff, kittykat23uk, twaffle and 3 others like this

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#44 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,565 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:31 PM

Totally agree!
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#45 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:41 PM

That is terrific news.

#46 ld1

ld1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:20 PM

Tipperty-top news and it made me smile that ST was "runner-up", after all mostly we tell everyone "don't run, whatever you do". I think ST is the best forum ever and although we don't need a gong to know that. Its nice that someone nominated GM and all his hard work.
  • Tom Kellie likes this
Anyone can squash a bug but all professors of this world couldn't build one.
Arthur Schopenhauer

#47 PT123

PT123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts
  • Local time: 03:39 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:29 PM

Congrats Matt. Being nominated and getting runner up is an achievement worthy of note and celebration. This is a positive step that will give ST additional visibility and will likely help draw more visitors and posters.

As much as you kindly deflect the reason for ST's success to its memebers you are the sun in the ST universe making ST possible.
  • twaffle, JohnR, Caracal and 2 others like this

#48 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,633 posts
  • Local time: 05:09 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:39 AM

Congrats Matt. Being nominated and getting runner up is an achievement worthy of note and celebration. This is a positive step that will give ST additional visibility and will likely help draw more visitors and posters.
As much as you kindly deflect the reason for ST's success to its memebers you are the sun in the ST universe making ST possible.

Well said

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#49 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,890 posts
  • Local time: 03:39 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:20 AM

x2

#50 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:20 AM

Congrats @Game Warden, ST moderators, veterans, members and all the newcomers who make ST such a vibrant, lively and mental-challenging forum! the TRs are incredible sources of information and the debates are so stimulating and daunting. it has served as a critical source of lifting my lack of knowledge of eco-industry and wildlife management issues from nought to a beginner's level, and so much more to learn from the forum. 

Thank you for such a wild crazy-good ride for the last 2 years, and many more to come!

Edited by Kitsafari, 19 September 2015 - 07:21 AM.

• twaffle, JohnR, Caracal and 2 others like this

#51 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,456 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:19 AM

I'm worried that this sun is beginning to burn out...

#52 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • Local time: 05:39 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:23 AM

Fabulous effort. 

Never fear, the ST sun still has about 5 billion years of life.

• PT123, Caracal, Kitsafari and 2 others like this
Geoff.

#53 CaroleE

CaroleE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:41 PM

Great news! Well done Game Warden!  

Some work to live. Others live to work. I live and work to travel

#54 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,456 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:58 PM

The satisfaction for me, (and hopefully you), with this SATOA awards is that ST was nominated in the first place, by professional members of that organisation. That we were recognised as being something of quality. The fact that Safaritalk didn't win doesn't concern me: I knew it wouldn't because from the outset I did not canvas anyone via Social media or ST for votes: It is important that the quality of Safaritalk is reflected by its indepth, unbiased content from people all over the world, across almost 10 years, the informative and well mannered debates highlighting the difficult conservation questions in Africa, the number of bookings it has driven to lesser known places and the fact that members have raised many thousands of dollars for grass roots conservation and community initiatives and not the number of votes I can garner.

That Safaritalk, or other nominees did not win only serves to question the validity of such awards when the winner is based upon the most number of votes cast, rather than being decided solely upon merit by a panel of judges qualified to make judgement...

• ZaminOz, kittykat23uk, Caracal and 4 others like this

#55 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,456 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:41 PM

gallery_1_1348_842873.png

• Atravelynn, ZaminOz, Caracal and 4 others like this

#56 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:32 AM

I'm worried that this sun is beginning to burn out...

~ @Game Warden

The illumination of late in a number of posts suggests a healthy reserve of light.

CONGRATULATIONS, Matt, for such well-deserved professional recognition which burnishes Safaritalk's reputation.

Not especially surprising, given the consistent quality of Safaritalk, its moderators, and loyal members.

The ongoing posts of ideas, articles, photos, videos (although I'm unable to view those) and feelings sustain Safaitalk as the go-to Internet site for African wildlife conservation, safari business and compelling safari tales.

May the coming year sustain the flame!

Tom K.

• fictionauthor likes this

#57 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,456 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:51 PM

I received a follow up email from SATOA part of which consisted of the following:

SATOA would like to take this opportunity to say CONGRATULATIONS to Safari Talk who were runners up for the category Best Travel blog/journalist at last night’s SATOA Travel Awards.

Sarah from Reve Tourism accepted the award on your behalf. Please forward me an address that we can use to courier your award. Please find attached your electronic badge which we hope you will display proudly.

To which I replied:

Keep the award there, (so I can hopefully pick it up personally at a later date), I'd rather you donate the money it would have cost to send it to me here in Portugal via courier, to SATOA's chosen charity, please let me know what this amounts to and provide receipt that that amount has been donated to Space for Elephants so I can make mention of it on Safaritalk.

Thank Sarah for collecting the award for me, what is important to me is that members from SATOA who nominated me in the first place recognised Safaritalk's worth to the Africa travel industry: it should be known that I did not campaign for votes via social media nor my own platform.

As soon as I have further details of this value etc. I will share here.

Matt
  • TonyQ, Tom Kellie and CaroleE like this

#58 TonyQ

TonyQ

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:04 PM

Congratulations Matt - a great achievement!

#59 Marks

Marks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • Local time: 03:39 AM
  • Category 2:Writer

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:12 AM

A worthy achievement and something to be proud of.

#60 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 05:39 PM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:52 AM

well done, great news GW

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.