See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Game Warden

Safaritalk nominated for tourism award. Edited. Runner up.

65 posts in this topic

I'm worried that this sun is beginning to burn out...

Fabulous effort.

Never fear, the ST sun still has about 5 billion years of life.

5 people like this

Great news! Well done Game Warden!

The satisfaction for me, (and hopefully you), with this SATOA awards is that ST was nominated in the first place, by professional members of that organisation. That we were recognised as being something of quality. The fact that Safaritalk didn't win doesn't concern me: I knew it wouldn't because from the outset I did not canvas anyone via Social media or ST for votes: It is important that the quality of Safaritalk is reflected by its indepth, unbiased content from people all over the world, across almost 10 years, the informative and well mannered debates highlighting the difficult conservation questions in Africa, the number of bookings it has driven to lesser known places and the fact that members have raised many thousands of dollars for grass roots conservation and community initiatives and not the number of votes I can garner.

That Safaritalk, or other nominees did not win only serves to question the validity of such awards when the winner is based upon the most number of votes cast, rather than being decided solely upon merit by a panel of judges qualified to make judgement...

7 people like this

gallery_1_1348_842873.png

7 people like this

I'm worried that this sun is beginning to burn out...

~ @@Game Warden

The illumination of late in a number of posts suggests a healthy reserve of light.

CONGRATULATIONS, Matt, for such well-deserved professional recognition which burnishes Safaritalk's reputation.

Not especially surprising, given the consistent quality of Safaritalk, its moderators, and loyal members.

The ongoing posts of ideas, articles, photos, videos (although I'm unable to view those) and feelings sustain Safaitalk as the go-to Internet site for African wildlife conservation, safari business and compelling safari tales.

May the coming year sustain the flame!

Tom K.

1 person likes this

I received a follow up email from SATOA part of which consisted of the following:

SATOA would like to take this opportunity to say CONGRATULATIONS to Safari Talk who were runners up for the category Best Travel blog/journalist at last night’s SATOA Travel Awards.

Sarah from Reve Tourism accepted the award on your behalf. Please forward me an address that we can use to courier your award. Please find attached your electronic badge which we hope you will display proudly.

To which I replied:

Keep the award there, (so I can hopefully pick it up personally at a later date), I'd rather you donate the money it would have cost to send it to me here in Portugal via courier, to SATOA's chosen charity, please let me know what this amounts to and provide receipt that that amount has been donated to Space for Elephants so I can make mention of it on Safaritalk.

Thank Sarah for collecting the award for me, what is important to me is that members from SATOA who nominated me in the first place recognised Safaritalk's worth to the Africa travel industry: it should be known that I did not campaign for votes via social media nor my own platform.

As soon as I have further details of this value etc. I will share here.

Matt

3 people like this

Congratulations Matt - a great achievement!

A worthy achievement and something to be proud of.

well done, great news GW

Congragulations Matt,

As you know, youv'e made a great contribution to all our lives. I'm delighted that your'e getting the recognition that you so richly deserve.

1 person likes this

Game Warden, Matthew - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

AMA (wow in Swahili)!!!!!!!

so sorry i missed this - therefore belated congratulations and hope you win next time!!!!

The satisfaction for me, (and hopefully you), with this SATOA awards is that ST was nominated in the first place, by professional members of that organisation. That we were recognised as being something of quality. The fact that Safaritalk didn't win doesn't concern me: I knew it wouldn't because from the outset I did not canvas anyone via Social media or ST for votes: It is important that the quality of Safaritalk is reflected by its indepth, unbiased content from people all over the world, across almost 10 years, the informative and well mannered debates highlighting the difficult conservation questions in Africa, the number of bookings it has driven to lesser known places and the fact that members have raised many thousands of dollars for grass roots conservation and community initiatives and not the number of votes I can garner.

That Safaritalk, or other nominees did not win only serves to question the validity of such awards when the winner is based upon the most number of votes cast, rather than being decided solely upon merit by a panel of judges qualified to make judgement...

OKAY, Game Warden, may I request with great respect that if SafariTalk is nominated again in the future, that you post an announcement of said nomination on ST and allow members to vote or not, as they wish. Having established SafariTalk as a quality forum recognized globally and nominated for the SATAO awards by professionals indicates that should SafariTalk receive the largest number of votes, the win will be well deserved and honestly earned. Please... and yes, we do quite get how you feel about social media in a popularity contest, but fair's fair. Having established its worthiness, give ST members the opportunity to choose whether or not to vote...

again, congratulations!

1 person likes this

Congratulations on your high ranking! Well deserved.

~ @@Lala

I agree with what you've suggested.

It seems reasonable.

Tom K.

1 person likes this