The Pursuit of Cats and Dogs - Timbavati, Sabi Sands

Kitsafari

so we finally saw the cubs! on our last evening drive....

For you, @SafariChick

@@Kitsafari Unbelievable!! SO. JEALOUS. !!!!!

Edited by SafariChick

Makanyi was a complete success! Wild dogs and honey badger! The tracker was very close to that young and frisky elephant that visited your vehicle. Wonderful lion and buffalo interactions. Such a large pride will be giving the buffalo a hard time.

@@Kitsafari

What a great trip, with wonderful sightings throughout. I have really enjoyed your writing and your photos.

A great place for leopards - and the cubs are just adorable.

Seeing all of those elephants at the end is a perfect way to finish!

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

(the last video shows as private on my computer)

@@Atravelynn welcome back! can't wait for your mana pools report - are you doing a joint one with wilddog?

Next time, I shan't argue with the guides/ranger. 1,500 southern ground hornbill is a small number. According to this link (http://www.ground-hornbill.org.za/) - warren was indeed spot-on for SA.

"within South Africa they have been classified as ‘Endangered', with their numbers outside of formally protected areas are still declining. It is even likely that the birds will soon meet the IUCN Red Data List Criteria as being ‘Critically Endangered’ in South Africa."

they are marvellous to watch though. really big birds who waddle when they walk and we've heard their vibrato boom calls before - amazing calls .

The low and ubiquitous bong bong in the background is the sound of wild Africa to me. Now if you could get all 1500 (in South Africa) of them to sing at once....

The leopard photos on pages 10 & 11 are gorgeous, but I think the nyala may be even lovelier. The elephant in the first photo in post #202 is a showstopper, though. You've really set the scene in that composition. Makes me want to step into the picture!

That little hippo is also extremely endearing.

I vote for the color version of the elephants, but they're both quite nice, of course.

It looks like the second video in post #219 isn't working.

Thanks so much for taking us along. This thread has been very special and full of excellent sightings.

edit: oops, I see TonyQ has already pointed out the video problem.

Edited by Marks

@Terry@TonyQ@Marks@Atravelynn@SafariChick. Thanks everyone for your support. It's your encouragement that kept fuelling me, otherwise I think I would have given up!

Sorry about the last video. I've changed from privacy so you can now watch it. Enjoy those wonderful pachyderms! Hope you can get the sense of being there sharing the sighting.

@@Atravelynn welcome back! can't wait for your mana pools report - are you doing a joint one with wilddog?

Next time, I shan't argue with the guides/ranger. 1,500 southern ground hornbill is a small number. According to this link (http://www.ground-hornbill.org.za/) - warren was indeed spot-on for SA.

"within South Africa they have been classified as ‘Endangered', with their numbers outside of formally protected areas are still declining. It is even likely that the birds will soon meet the IUCN Red Data List Criteria as being ‘Critically Endangered’ in South Africa."

they are marvellous to watch though. really big birds who waddle when they walk and we've heard their vibrato boom calls before - amazing calls .

The low and ubiquitous bong bong in the background is the sound of wild Africa to me. Now if you could get all 1500 (in South Africa) of them to sing at once....

Wouldn't that be something amazing! The cry of the southern ground hornbill.

Really enjoyed your report, cant wait to get back there again. The videos made it come to life for me. Thank you, it sure must have taken a lot of effort to put it all together, much appreciated.

The herd video was magnificent indeed! What a peaceful encounter.

@@KiwiGran Welcome to ST! thank you for reading my TR. very kind of you not to mention those shakes in the videos ! but it's nice to see them again and remembering those feelings of amazement and happiness at witnessing those precious privileged moments that the wildlife allow us to share. :)

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, @@Kitsafari. I think Sabi Sands and Timbavati can get a bad rap for being too touristic, but I feel, as you have shown, both locations can be the source of a really wonderful safari. I'd go back to both in a heartbeat.

Peter Connan

Thank you for a wonderful trip report!

Is there anything in this world cuter than a leopard cub?

Thank you for a wonderful trip report!

Is there anything in this world cuter than a leopard cub?

@@Peter Connan yes - when there are two of them!

sadly though Londolozi reported a few days ago that only one of the cubs has been seen recently. hope the remaining cub makes it.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, @@Kitsafari. I think Sabi Sands and Timbavati can get a bad rap for being too touristic, but I feel, as you have shown, both locations can be the source of a really wonderful safari. I'd go back to both in a heartbeat.

@@Alexander33

i agree. i suppose some people feel the concessions are too managed, especially with the fences around. but i guess more places are also being managed these days, when you get baby elephants rescued, and snared wildlife sedated and treated.

Ultimately human settlements are an intervention around and will affect the parks, and managing wildlife to ensure their very survival is not going to be an exception in the future; it will be the norm all over Africa. and all of us will have to get used to it, and accept it.

• 2 weeks later...

@@Kitsafari Thank you so much for sharing your absolutely amazing experiences!

Honeybadger! Jackal! Two (two) absolutely adorable little leopard cubs on their first venture out into the world! Completely stunning.

Oh, and strangely we saw a rolling hippo too, although I didn't think to get a video (though I clearly should have). And we, too, giggled all through sundowners at the happiest hippo in the world. If it wasn't impossible given the positioning of the concessions, I would say it would have to be the same hippo -- how many hippos can there be celebrating their own private bathing bliss at sunset? These hippos are a children's book waiting to happen.

Anyway. thanks again, and can't wait to hear about your next trip.

@@hannahcat oh how curious that you also saw a rolling hippo? What are the chances for 2 rolling hippos in sabi sands?! It was fun and cool to see them. I'll probably be accused of anthromorphism but are we such an arrogant species to deny there is a slight possibility of them expressing their contentment? Rationality by human definition be damned, I say! The hippo felt safe and happy to roll and it was a delight to be able to witness it!

Sadly @@hannahcat, one of the leopard Cubs probably died as it has not been seen for a few weeks.

• 4 months later...

@@Kitsafari I must apologise for being so late to this party - my only excuse is that it was finished before I joined ST. Tihs hasbeen an excellent account with superb photos. I am going to the Timbavati in May aving been to the Sabi Sands last year and this has whetted my appetite. Thanks again.

@@pomkiwi thank you for taking time to read the TR! Where are you going to in Timbavati? So excited for you!

@@Kitsafari I'm off to Kambaku River Sands for 4 nights in mid-May. It looks like a low key place and I was able to get a 4 nights for 3 deal and no single supplement. I have been able to put the savings towards a private vehicle for 2 days (many lodges will insist you have a private vehicle for all nights) and on one of those days have a photgraphic guide to provide some constructive critcism and ideas. I will be lucky if I get the same quality of sightings as you...