jeremie

Pantanal trip planning

35 posts in this topic

I highly recommend Ailton Lara, owner of Patanal Nature http://www.pantanalnature.com.br/, he uses to be hired by documentary crews from National Geographic, for instance.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Have contacted them, awaiting their reply. Any idea on how much it should cost for 3 nights tour (2 night at Pantal Norte and 1 night at Piuvial or Rio Clara)? We are family of 4 adults.

Hi,
I'm getting Jacaré Floating Hotel. Do you have any reviews or feedback on it? I can't find much online, but pictures of room looks decent.

Thanks for all the help till now, without you guys it would have been impossible.

I'm good at planning trips and that what I do most of the time.

I must say, to plan a trip to Pantanal has been toughest. Many people don't reply to mails. Some agents are way costly. I tried to contact hotel directly, they gave me a real good price but said can't confirm as they have block bookings. Then said, I can get you rooms but it is not bungalow but near the entrance of the building, but inside the gate. Don't know what he was talking about, thought it might have been guide's accommodation.

For booking with agent/guide 3 night trip is costing as much as we paid for Kenya 7 night safari (With luxurious accommodation) or even more. Booking directly with hotel was half the price, but they seem to tough to deal with. They wouldn't reply to mail or give any concrete status on price and availability.
Then after being frustrated I went and checked Barranco Alto which also quoted half the price (One way road transfer and one way flight) than what agents were quoting for North Pantanal trip. But really want to see Jaguars.

And all this, when I'm planning a year in advance. I'm still not sure if anything will work out or eventually will have to give up Pantanal (Which I so not wish too).

Thanks once again everyone. Your trip reports and guidance has been invaluable,

1 person likes this

No answer from Julinho... :(

I will try to contact the other guides recomended here.

Do you know one guide, that organize camping in fazenda instead of staying at Porto Jofre, as Julinho offers?

I think that would be a great experience, and it would help me to save a bit of money.

Thanks!!

Well its certainly an interesting experience!!

@@jeremie I don't know of any other guides who offer camping with a local family.

However, there is a campground close to the Porto Jofre Hotel that has better rates than Porto Jofre Hotel - Ailton Lara at Pantanal Nature Tours can probably provide some information on this.

Good luck with the planning!

1 person likes this

We have just arrived at Cuiaba in Mato Grosso for a long Pantanal journey.

It was a tiring day for Karina and I, we had to take 3 different flights from Santiago to get to the capital of the state.

We will first visit Mato Grosso Hotel on the Rio Claro river, then Pouso Alegre for 3 nights.

We will then focus on jaguars around Taiama reserve on the Paraguay river for 4 nights.

We will make a short stop at Chapada dos Guimares, before taking a flight to Campo Grande in Mato Grosso do Sul.

Our trip will finish with a long stay at Fazenda Barranco Alto. We are very lucky to reach the farm by plane!!!

Thanks to all your recommendations to make this trip posible.

5 people like this

@@jeremie, have a great trip! Your itinerary is close to ours coming up in Sept (Pouso Alegre, Hotel PJ, Barranco Alto). I look forward to reading your trip report when you get back.

3 people like this

@@jeremie

@@Atdahl

Can't wait to hear about your experiences. We were at Barranco Alto the first week of July -- which, to my great benefit, I learned about only because of Safaritalk -- so we will have to tag team on our reports. I think you will both love the place. We certainly did. (Trip report to follow at some point!).

2 people like this

Trip report to follow at some point very soon

@@Alexander33

Here, fixed that for you. ;)

3 people like this