See all Safaritalk Special Offers

CaroleE

Zambia visa on arrival

9 posts in this topic

Any expereince of getting a visa on arrival at Lusaka?

There isn't a Zambian embassy or consulate here in The Netherlands therefore my passport would have to go to the nearest in Brussels. Takes more time (and yes more expense), I think I could juggle it to ensure I had my visa in time and still have my passport when I need it but obviously it would be a lot easier to get a visa on arrival.

We have a pretty tight connection time for our flight to Mfuwe (only about one and half hours) and I am a tad concerned the visa on arrival process could take lots of time. Leading to a mad dash to collect bags (if I dont manage them as carry on) and to get to domestic departures. How far is domestic departures from international arrivals?

Any up to date info and advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks.

It's straightforward. Just have the amount you need to pay (I think USD 50) with you in the exact amount. One and a half hours should be enough, and ProFlight could wait if the plane is late as there are probably more people on your flight connecting to Mfuwe. To get through customs usually takes about 30 min or less, and could be quicker if you're one of the first to get off the plane. Collecting luggage is straightforward and the walk to domestic departures is only a few minutes.

1 person likes this

my understanding is that the Pro Flight flight waits, unless it your flight terribly late. Lusaka is not a big airport. We are doing this as well and being met by someone from the Bushcamp Company to get us through immigration and the Visa process with a relatively short connection time. You should be okay...but good luck too!

@@egilio and @@marg

Thank you for the info. Looks like it is possible then. Always best to check....I've had to stand in some visa/immigration queues for an awful long time! There will be more people on the same flight as me going to Mfuwe as they are travelling with me. They live in the UK so can already get visas there.

@@marg Hope you have a fantastic trip!

@@CaroleE - We're also heading to Zambia (in late September) and been advised by our TA not to bother getting our visas in advance. The advice we were given was the same as @@egilio, it's straightforward and relatively quick to get it when you arrive.

@@CaroleE - We're also heading to Zambia (in late September) and been advised by our TA not to bother getting our visas in advance. The advice we were given was the same as @@egilio, it's straightforward and relatively quick to get it when you arrive.

Many thanks Ian. If more TAs/companies on the ground are saying this I will follow this advice and get one on arrival. Easier all round!

Hope you have a great trip!

1 person likes this

Even if you would get your visas beforehand, you would still have to wait in the same line at customs to have your visas checked, it wouldn't save you much, if any, time.

1 person likes this

@@egilio That’s pretty much what we found in 2009 when we did get our Tanzania visas ahead of time. Getting them ahead required two midweek trips into London (one to drop off, the other to collect) so 2 half days holiday + travel costs etc. When we went last year we opted for visa-on-arrival in Dar es Salaam & it wasn’t any slower.

Having said that, we’ve also had some shockingly long immigration waits, Antananarivo (Madagascar) being the worst but New York (JFK) & San Francisco haven’t been much faster (go figure as they say!)
Have a great trip @@CaroleE & I’ll look forward to the TR

Just did this last week...Ngoko Safaris arranged for a rep from Tours Africa to have a name board for us and meet us. Nice young man very professionally handled our luggage and took care of everything while we had lunch...very convenient....also met us to help us fly from Lusaka to Joburg as well..made it easy