Kruger cheaper camps Sausage tree, pungwe, africa on foot

COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

OTHER THINGS

well on trips you get to hear about things

Kapama camps

it is a large private reserve of 13,000 in the greater kruger area but it is fenced of from the rest of it

it is owned by the Roode family

there are 5 camps

That is interesting the rates list mentions 4 camps but the reserve map gives 5 camps

with the exception of buffalo camp the emphasis is on high level luxury

most of them are very large 120 guest capacity which must take the personal feel away from the place

river lodge gets the attention 64 rooms southern camp 15 buffalo 10 karalu 14

guest capacity about double the room numbers although some are family rooms

all but buffalo are luxury 5 star

buffalo has been described to me as a similar standard to schindezela

it is in a larger reserve, has air conditioned tents, with electric blankets in winter

the prices are about double

it is reported that following the death of the farther that they were in financial trouble but major interests from the UAE are now involved

relative to the capacity of the area to support wildlife it is overstocked , it is dry at the moment, the herbivours are being fed on hay

guides are instructed not to find all the big 5 on one drive

vehicles go of track for big 5 only

eastgate airport was established after the sth African govt said yes to approaches by kapama camps to have an area from the airforce base to be used as a civil airport to help with guest transfers

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

1 You wonder how much some people end up paying

a US guest at elephant plains she had no problems with seeing nearly no animals , went to ele plains, kapama buffalo and cape town and was just quoted a total tour amount by an agent in LA, she was not particulary wealthy and was not given a per day rate for anything

2 the airport connection explains why there are massive frame photos over eastgate airport departures and arrivals for kapama camps

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

1 sth African guests are to some extent taking phone or happy snappy camera (to use their own term) and regretting it , as the lens can't get close to animals

2 the dad who was very keen on hot sauce, the family lives in cape town did not like the long drive, loved Africa on foot as was discussing flying to hoedspruit next time

3 they have introduced a scanner for hand luggage at eastgate airport. given that I was nearby I was somewhat surprised to hear the security officer ask what was in a long cabin bag, be told "a 303 hunting rifle" then take no action, not even a verbal warning

• 2 weeks later...

both the staff and other guests are friendly at Africa on foot

what you are used to determines your clothing, some guests from Alaska thought that the not very cold local winter was warm and dressed in shorts and tshirts

some guests from Alaska thought that the not very cold local winter was warm and dressed in shorts and tshirts

I guess it's all a matter of perspective!

• 4 weeks later...

It is completely fitting that I am responding to a CR report while peeking at the lunar eclipse.

As I usually do throughout my safari in all locations I travel with a small statue of Artemis the ancient Greek goddess of wild places and wild animals , and wear fossil pendants Baltic amber, orthosoris and tribolite I'm sure you are very careful in keeping track of these valued possessions.

a number of years ago I had an ingrown toenail trimmed by a doctor, as was advised to keep them clean . I use eucalyptus oil for this.

the lesson is to keep the oil bottle in my toiletries bag and only take it out as needed for future trips The unusual and informative asides you place here and make reading your reports like treasure hunting.

during my first visit the guide Rein tells of having asked a woman if she was going to wear flat shoes, the response it does not go with the outfilt boob tube (I thought it was tube top, but boob tube is probably more of an accurate description) , mini skirt and stilltoe heels I just was told about purple suede boots worn on safari by a woman. Maybe it's the same one.

some of the locals come with light shoes, open shoes , sandles, flips/thongs as the only thing they wear

1 on a night drive I got my first very brief and very partial look of an aardvark Hey hey!! Was that a first for you?

2 unfortunately there has been some rhino poaching in the area

3 there is a greater emphasis on wine sales with those larger wine glasses provided for everyone

4 a certain element of sth Africans are very keen on hot sauce going for the hottest they can get

at Africa on foot they had this creation which was graded as the highest type of perri perri chiles VERY HOT

One guest was keen on the exotic spices sauce and intended to go to multiple shops looking for his own supply

if he could not find it he was going to approach the company with a order for 5 boxes ie 60 bottles.

how much sauce can one small family use, are they going to drink it ? A lifetime supply perhaps.

5 are beach house holidays worth it ?

a Johannesburg mother said yes to borrowing a as yet incomplete house which was unfurnished

the offer came from another school mum, my husband is building it over time

here is the trailer we would like you to take bed, tables,chairs, fridge etc in place of rent

Edited by Atravelynn

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I stayed at Sausage Tree Camp in Balule for 5 nights last May. I had some concern leading up to the trip, as Balule is not one of the more popular areas in the Greater Kruger for safaris. Here are some of my thoughts:

The camp is small with just 5 tents, and they run 1 game drive vehicle with a guide and tracker.

The staff we found to be excellent, as it was a smaller camp the service was more personable. Guests all had breakfast and lunch together around a big table on a beautiful deck. I know some people are not so keen on this, but I found it a good way to get to know the other guests. Evening meals were set in the boma area around the fire. The food quality was very high, and the portions were generous....which I appreciate :) Kevin our ranger joined us for all meals. He had a friendly manner, and was happy to answer any of the guest questions.

I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of wildlife we encountered. We saw the big 5, including a wonderful evening sighting of watching a Leopard go to a watering hole and drink. We also saw a Black Rhino Calf and Mother interact with some young Lions. I had the most amazing Elephant experience of my life as we waited by a watering hole, and watched a herd come for a drink, followed by the matriarch checking our vehicle out, and smelling me with her trunk.....that moment will live with me forever!

Our tracker Themba was truly gifted was happy to show us tracks during our drink stops.

The owners were on site and had a friendly manner. One night it was just my Wife and I staying at the camp and after a lovely dinner, we drank Amarula with the owners late into the night.....we were talking and laughing, and we noticed at the end of our stay that we did not get charged for any drinks that evening.

It is a shame that they do not offer bush walks at present, but talking to the owners they hope to change this in the near future.

I hope they keep the camp small, because it's strength is its excellent personable service.

When it came to the end of our 5 night stay, I did not want to leave! I consoled myself with the fact that we were of to Sabi Sands, which I believed would be even better. Unfortunately I was wrong (please read my Elephant Plains review if interested). The expensive (for us) lodge in Sabi Sands, only proved how good the staff at Sausage Tree are!

Sausage Tree is a relaxed friendly place, with a guide and tracker who have a wealth of knowledge which they are happy to share. There is some special sightings to be found, and if you enjoy tracking the animals (which I do) then this place is for you. It has left me wanting to go back because I enjoyed it so much, although I know I have so much of Africa yet to discover!

I hope this helps.