See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Ebola vaccine is potential game changer

Ebola Vaccine Guinea Trials

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,459 posts
  • Local time: 07:47 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:09 PM

A trial in Guinea shows new Ebola vaccine is potentially 100% effective and is being rolled out immediately. This is quite amazing!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-33733711
  • inyathi likes this
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#2 fictionauthor

fictionauthor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Local time: 10:47 PM
  • Category 1:Writer
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:49 PM

@kittykat23uk I hope that vaccine is working.

I was in a US hospital today visiting someone and the question first asked by reception for all visitors was "Have you been to West Africa in the last three months?" 

• Tom Kellie likes this

#3 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts
  • Local time: 02:47 PM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:57 PM

@kittykat23uk I hope that vaccine is working.

I was in a US hospital today visiting someone and the question first asked by reception for all visitors was "Have you been to West Africa in the last three months?" 

~ @fictionauthor

That's unexpected, as it would seem that high levels of concern had receded.

Here in Beijing there are notices at the airport for arriving international passengers, but no discernible enforcement of inspection standards.

Perhaps there's a residual sense that it's best to be prepared in case of a resurgence.

Thanks for telling us this.

I've been posting images from the final game drive in my trip report, which took place in January, 2015.

At that time, arriving in Nairobi involved walking through an array of signs and temperature meters, all due to Ebola precautions.

That had already faded away when I returned to Nairobi in mid-July.

As with you, I hope that the vaccine has proven to be efficacious.

Tom K.

• fictionauthor likes this

#4 fictionauthor

fictionauthor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Local time: 10:47 PM
  • Category 1:Writer
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:24 PM

That's unexpected, as it would seem that high levels of concern had receded.

Here in Beijing there are notices at the airport for arriving international passengers, but no discernible enforcement of inspection standards.

Perhaps there's a residual sense that it's best to be prepared in case of a resurgence.

Thanks for telling us this.

I've been posting images from the final game drive in my trip report, which took place in January, 2015.

Yes, @Tom Kellie I was quite surprised. I've been to this hospital many times (the last time was 4 months ago) and they've never asked anything like this (have you been to x country?) before. 

Oh, glad you alerted me to that thread. I hadn't seen it before. Had a peek at the first posting and love the way you show exactly what you travel with. I doubt I could ever get it down to that. 

Love the story of the swim trunks!

• Tom Kellie likes this

#5 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts
  • Local time: 02:47 PM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:52 PM

Yes, @Tom Kellie I was quite surprised. I've been to this hospital many times (the last time was 4 months ago) and they've never asked anything like this (have you been to x country?) before. 

Oh, glad you alerted me to that thread. I hadn't seen it before. Had a peek at the first posting and love the way you show exactly what you travel with. I doubt I could ever get it down to that. 

Love the story of the swim trunks!

~ @fictionauthor

That's even more surprising, that they've recently instituted such questions. You live in a region where one wouldn't expect much need for Ebola screening.

Odd...

Thank you for visiting the trip report. I've been writing it and posting photographs since 6 April. 

It's finally winding down. The intent was to present the full scope of a safari, in order for those who haven't yet done so to be able to sense what it might be like.

The first two safaris involved multiple overloaded bags with enough weighty camera lenses to equip a platoon.

With time I've cut back...and back...and back until arriving at the present iteration, which works well.

Ha! Those bright blue Kenyan swim trunks accompany me on every safari. Truth be told, I used the completely private plunge pool in South Africa many times earlier this month, yet never once wore the swim trunks!

Tom K.

• fictionauthor likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ebola, Vaccine, Guinea, Trials

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.