Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kittykat23uk

Ebola vaccine is potential game changer

5 posts in this topic

A trial in Guinea shows new Ebola vaccine is potentially 100% effective and is being rolled out immediately. This is quite amazing!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33733711

1 person likes this

@@kittykat23uk I hope that vaccine is working.

I was in a US hospital today visiting someone and the question first asked by reception for all visitors was "Have you been to West Africa in the last three months?"

1 person likes this

@@kittykat23uk I hope that vaccine is working.

I was in a US hospital today visiting someone and the question first asked by reception for all visitors was "Have you been to West Africa in the last three months?"

~ @@fictionauthor

That's unexpected, as it would seem that high levels of concern had receded.

Here in Beijing there are notices at the airport for arriving international passengers, but no discernible enforcement of inspection standards.

Perhaps there's a residual sense that it's best to be prepared in case of a resurgence.

Thanks for telling us this.

I've been posting images from the final game drive in my trip report, which took place in January, 2015.

At that time, arriving in Nairobi involved walking through an array of signs and temperature meters, all due to Ebola precautions.

That had already faded away when I returned to Nairobi in mid-July.

As with you, I hope that the vaccine has proven to be efficacious.

Tom K.

1 person likes this

That's unexpected, as it would seem that high levels of concern had receded.

Here in Beijing there are notices at the airport for arriving international passengers, but no discernible enforcement of inspection standards.

Perhaps there's a residual sense that it's best to be prepared in case of a resurgence.

Thanks for telling us this.

I've been posting images from the final game drive in my trip report, which took place in January, 2015.

Yes, @@Tom Kellie I was quite surprised. I've been to this hospital many times (the last time was 4 months ago) and they've never asked anything like this (have you been to x country?) before.

Oh, glad you alerted me to that thread. I hadn't seen it before. Had a peek at the first posting and love the way you show exactly what you travel with. I doubt I could ever get it down to that.

Love the story of the swim trunks!

1 person likes this

Yes, @@Tom Kellie I was quite surprised. I've been to this hospital many times (the last time was 4 months ago) and they've never asked anything like this (have you been to x country?) before.

Oh, glad you alerted me to that thread. I hadn't seen it before. Had a peek at the first posting and love the way you show exactly what you travel with. I doubt I could ever get it down to that.

Love the story of the swim trunks!

~ @@fictionauthor

That's even more surprising, that they've recently instituted such questions. You live in a region where one wouldn't expect much need for Ebola screening.

Odd...

Thank you for visiting the trip report. I've been writing it and posting photographs since 6 April.

It's finally winding down. The intent was to present the full scope of a safari, in order for those who haven't yet done so to be able to sense what it might be like.

The first two safaris involved multiple overloaded bags with enough weighty camera lenses to equip a platoon.

With time I've cut back...and back...and back until arriving at the present iteration, which works well.

Ha! Those bright blue Kenyan swim trunks accompany me on every safari. Truth be told, I used the completely private plunge pool in South Africa many times earlier this month, yet never once wore the swim trunks!

Tom K.

1 person likes this