See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

SOUTH AFRICA RHINO WAR ONGOING COVERAGE

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local time: 09:37 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:---

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:59 PM

I agree,however, I do see a backlash taking place. The fact is that the price of ivory has fallen in China due to a combination of factors. The Vietnamese people arre showing increasing sensitivity, and disdain for rhino horn and realize that it's a stain on their country's image. 

#22 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:03 PM

I do see a backlash happening for a variety of reasons; the new government of Tanzania is cracking down hard on poaching, Dr. Richard is head of the KWS again,ivory is increasingly less socially acceptable in China and Hong Kong, and the the Vietnamese public is increasingly less tolerant of rhino horn. Yes, I do sincerely feel that things really are going in the right direction.

• Towlersonsafari likes this

#23 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 03:37 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:12 AM

What on earth is @@@@ going on ?

NEWS 24 reports that it takes almost 5 years  for a former soldier to be charged in court with poaching  6 rhinos in Kruger

he was dressed in uniform when he did it  and has been let out on bail    

• optig likes this

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#24 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:40 AM

This is indeed ridiculous,however, at least he's being charged with rhino poaching. South Africa's legal system is working,however,only very weakly.

#25 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:43 AM

• There is an interesting article on rhino poachers for Mozambique going into kruger national park ,please see http://oxpeckers.org   THE UPHILL BATLLE TO SAVE RHINOS IN MOZAMBIQUE  1 JUNE 2016  so much of it is economically motivated , they think by using magic potions they would become invisible to rangers ,well things don't work out that way
  • reference was made to a 2014 US State Dept  report on poaching ,please see  POACHING RHINO HORN IN SOUTH AFRICA AND MOZAMBIQUE COMMUNITY AND EXPERT VIEWS FROM THE TRENCHES

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 02 June 2016 - 08:49 AM.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#26 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:15 AM

Please see news 24  GOVERNMENT TIGHT LIPPED ON RHINO POACHING STATS 6 FEB 2017 also covered by conservation action trust

• in evidence to worsen a penalty before a court for poaching  the figures of 622 rhinos for kruger national park during 2017, and 21 to 20 Jan 2017 were given in a local publication THE LOWVELDER
  • Kruger might be stablising but other areas are getting worse  KZ Natal 101 for 2015 and at least 159 for 2016, the reasoning is the gangs who concentrated on kruger and surrounds are spreading out

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 13 February 2017 - 05:25 AM.

#27 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:26 AM

The media briefing is set for tomorrow 17 feb  

Well perhaps it would have been a whole lot longer if the Kruger figures had not been released in court

#28 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:57 AM

it looks like the date for the briefing has been delayed  ,

the opening of the announcement is marked new date to be communicated  soon, however they have left online the time and venue details for the  17 FEB press confrence

#29 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:22 AM

• THE CITIZEN reports on 20 feb  that 17 feb was abandoned as there was to be a cabinet briefing on that day

• in  some point in the past the talk was of briefings every 4 months , they are now saying that is  hard to gather the stats 

• this all leaves a bad impression, the cabinet briefing would have been know well in advance

• people will be really wondering what is going on , especially when a sod turning  ceremony at kruger takes places on 18 feb, it may well have been possible to also do the briefing then and the minister could take some responsibility

• in practice the press quotes the online  press release, so is getting together multiple officals a way to delay  things?

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 22 February 2017 - 05:22 AM.

#30 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:31 AM

• this is avoiding things, perhaps they don't want to admit that they are clueless and incompetent as regards taking any preventative actions 
  • their failings have been well displayed ,let alone earlier dubious displays on concealed cameras , so they are deliberately avoiding questions 
  • now comes the proposal  to once again open a legal rhino horn trade ,existing performance does not give me any confidence that  they can  bring things under control any better this way
  • there are multiple reports at http://www.conservationaction.co.za     and a very good article 21 feb STH AFRICA OPENS THE DOOR TO THE SALE OF WILDLIFE PARTS  at  http://www.dailymaverick.co.za

#31 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:42 AM

This is just obscene and that's the only way I can put it. It's just horrendous for South Africa's image as a country.

#32 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:02 AM

Where is South Africa planning on exporting rhino horn now that China and Vietnam are cracking down hard against the trade?

#33 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:01 AM

the final year poaching  stats are out

, well they label the press release  highlights on integrated rhino management plan

, are they trying to downplay the poaching ?

when you print it out the environmental  affairs logo is so small that you can't read it

• Kruger national park  lost 662 rhinos, other areas 392, total 1054
  • this is overall a decrease , but the figure is worse than 2013
  • the arrest figures are substantially

I am far from impressed , things are staying very bad and I wonder if anyone knows  how to get a substantial and ongoing improvement

#34 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:51 AM

• the poaching numbers excluding Kruger and surrounds was 349 for 2015 and 392 for 2016
  • Traffic comments that overall black rhino poaching is up, the slight decrease in sth Africa , was more than balanced by increased number in Zimbabwe and namibia

#35 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:34 AM

the bulletin  circulated by the conservation action  trust is a  very useful source of information

• who knows how journalist get   information, they have reliable and confidential sources   

an article called  LIES,DAMMED LIES AND RHINO STASTICS dated 28 Feb 2017 in business day says that kw natal is a massive area of poaching now that Kruger is down a bit

he gives the poaching figures for the province as 11 in 2011, 99 in 2015 and  160 in 2016

that is a growth of 38% in the year

•  the overall rhino population has two  serious causes of decline poaching and drought
  • drought affects both the existing numbers and lowers the birth rate
  • the article gives Kruger's white rhino population as 10,000  for 2010, 8,800 for 2015 and 7,200 for 2017 

It is good to see some decline  in poaching overall ,but I can't be pleased  by an overall loss  of such high numbers , this is a chronic illness, I am not celebrating just because the patient is not in intensive care if  things don't  a whole lot better , this could be a terminal decline

the  poaching losses have been over 1,000 for  3 years in a row , a slight decrease is no cause to have a party

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 03 March 2017 - 08:36 AM.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.