See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Sri Lanka bans phones in safari park to save leopards

Sri Lanka Leopards cell phones

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts
  • Local time: 09:07 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:49 AM

Reports www.news.asiaone.com

Sri Lanka's largest safari park banned the use of cell phones Monday to stop leopards and other wildlife being killed by speeding vehicles which have been tipped off about their whereabouts.

Rangers have found the bodies of several animals in recent months that have been run over by vehicles in Yala park...

To read the full article click here.

Do you think this is becoming more and more a problem in African parks, especially those which allow self driving? Are we seeing an increase in wildlife casualties due to drivers speeding to sightings?

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#2 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,459 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:09 AM

Even before mobiles word got around about good sightings in parks. Especially India tiger reserves. I doubt banning cell phones will help much without also enforcing speed limits and restricting numbers of vehicles at sightings. Plus its not just when there is a sighting. People also speed when they are late leaving the park and to get ahead of the pack when entering.
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#3 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,021 posts
  • Local time: 08:07 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:59 AM

Agree - that's why Tigers are smart ......... They soon start to note the game drive timings and stay away from the madness!!!

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#4 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:17 AM

I don't know about that, quite a few of my sightings have been of nonchalant tigers sauntering along the road pursued by an entourage of vehicles!! Perhaps mothers with cubs are more wary though... Still haven't been lucky to see a young family.
  • Tom Kellie likes this
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#5 Galago

Galago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:22 PM

I'm off to Sri Lanka soon, including Yala NP, so I'll let you know!

• Tom Kellie and Prasanna Ambigaibagan like this

#6 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,855 posts
  • Local time: 03:07 AM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:49 PM

The futility of it all--running over and killing what is likely the attraction that brought the hit-and-runner to the park.  Maybe a few speed bumps to go along with the ban.

• SafariChick and Tom Kellie like this
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#7 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts
  • Local time: 04:07 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:28 AM

I'm off to Sri Lanka soon, including Yala NP, so I'll let you know!

~ @Galago

Thank you for letting us know.

Please do have a wonderful time in Sri Lanka!

I hope that Yala will have ample top quality leopard and bird sightings for you.

Tom K.

• Galago likes this

#8 Prasanna Ambigaibagan

Prasanna Ambigaibagan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 01:37 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Tour Operator

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:23 PM

Yes its Ban in Yala NP,

where Yala Block 1 had telephone signal coverage so jeep drivers using mobile phone to share information about their sighting and ask other counterpart to visit and experience the mammal sightings. so many jeep drivers speed up and its endup of killing animals including leopards.

so Wildlife Department along with Telecommunication authority ban mobile coverage under Yala Block1 so avoid these tipping and speeding. 

but on my recent visit in August 2016, i experience some part of Yala still having mobile coverage.

where willpattu is No Coverage at all, so you get down to the field and search for a leopard.

Kind Regards,

Prasanna Ambigaibagan

Freelance Naturalist

Kind Regards,

Prasanna Ambigaibagan

Freelance Naturalist

#9 Botswanadreams

Botswanadreams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Local time: 10:07 AM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 03:46 PM

Do you think this is becoming more and more a problem in African parks, especially those which allow self driving? Are we seeing an increase in wildlife casualties due to drivers speeding to sightings?

In my opinion it has nothing to do with self driving. A self driver don't have the connection to other Guides to get this information about sightings. The problem is radio and cell phones from the Guides or let us say Drivers. A careful Guide wouldn't overspeed in the park. What is the reason for 10-20 cars around a cheetah in the Mara Reserve? - Radio and cell phones from the Drivers I think.   

“All I wanted to do was get back to Africa. We had not left it, yet, but when I would wake in the night I would lie, listening, homesick for it already."

Ernest Hemingway

www.botswanadreams.de

#10 xelas

xelas

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,214 posts
  • Local time: 10:07 AM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:56 AM

In Sri Lanka's wildlife parks 99% of guests are using jeep&driver; and driver is in contact with other drivers, either direct when passing by either by phone where coverage is available.

But the original cause of speeding is tipping! Yes, tipping. The cost of a jeep&driver is the same irrespective of how many leopards one would see. But tips are not! That is why so many drivers, who are usually not owners of the jeep, and are working for much less than it is paid for the tour by the guest, is trying to maximise his chances of getting a good tip. So even when mobile reception will be completely blocked, those drivers will still be speeding up and down the main "leopard roads" in hope to increase the chances of seeing one for their guests. It is us, the visitors, that can have the most impact on speeding (and killing) of wildlife inside the parks. By acting responsibly, i.e. by requesting the driver to keep its speed low, to stop frequently, etc.

• Big Andy likes this

#11 Big Andy

Big Andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:47 AM

As @xelas says above if you are paying for the driver then have the sense to tell him to slow down, he will want to do what pleases you as he'll have seen thousands of cats etc over the years so it's about wages and tips to him.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sri Lanka, Leopards, cell phones

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.