See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Kenya eVisa

Kenya visa eVisa

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts
  • Local time: 05:21 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:07 AM

invoice.png

service.png

authority.png

~ Done!

When I retrieved the Single Entry Visa application Draft which was on file in my Kenya eCitizen account, the system declined my payment, saying ‘unauthorized payment’.

I therefore deleted the Draft and retyped a fresh application.

A quirk is that in addition to requiring the uploading of a passport-sized photograph and also a scan of the information page from one's passport, the system also requires the uploading of “an invitation letter or other documents, etc.”. When I failed to do so the system highlighted that section noting that it was mandatory. Accordingly, I uploaded a screenshot of the words ‘No other documents’, which it accepted.

The application also requires a contact telephone number in Kenya. When I placed a hyphen between the city code for Nairobi and my guide, Anthony Gitau's, mobile phone, it rejected it. Apparently no hyphen is allowed anywhere in the telephone number.

Every time the application is rejected for any cause, the uploaded images are erased, thus must be reloaded with each submission.

Three different credit cards were used before finally finding one which the system accepted.

Once completed, the system returns the user to the application section labeled ‘Details’, which has the discreet wording ‘Approved’.

It's then necessary to click on ‘Invoices’.

Doing so will show an official document from the Kenya Department of Immigration Services with the words ‘Invoice Paid’.

At the lower right corner is a button labeled ‘Print Invoice’. By clicking that button a .pdf file is generated which may be printed to show to airline and immigration officials.

I hope that this description will be of use to Safaritalk members and guests planning safaris in Kenya.

Tom K.

• Game Warden, Geoff, PT123 and 6 others like this

#22 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,421 posts
  • Local time: 10:21 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:36 AM

@Tom Kellie Thanks Tom. 

• Tom Kellie likes this

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#23 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,631 posts
  • Local time: 06:51 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:07 PM

Very helpful Tom, thank you.
  • Tom Kellie likes this

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#24 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,131 posts
  • Local time: 04:21 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:29 AM

Yes, thanks Tom. Specially the blank document - good thinking!

i wonder whether Kenya Airways will be contacting all of their already booked passengers about this? The check in lines in Bangkok are going to be a bit chaotic if not, I guess.

Does anyone know if you actually need a scanned passport page? Presumably a photo taken with your phone will work as well?
  • Tom Kellie likes this

Waiting again... for the next time again

#25 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:42 AM

Yes, thanks Tom. Specially the blank document - good thinking!

i wonder whether Kenya Airways will be contacting all of their already booked passengers about this? The check in lines in Bangkok are going to be a bit chaotic if not, I guess.

Does anyone know if you actually need a scanned passport page? Presumably a photo taken with your phone will work as well?

~ @pault

There's been several exchanges with the eCitizen Support Team, seeking clarification, as the system is newly introduced and therefore in its ‘shakedown cruise’ mode.

The impression they give is that a mobile phone image of the data page of a passport would be acceptable — the threshold they're giving is readability, i.e. an image taken in good light.

Tom K.

• pault likes this

#26 bettel

bettel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Local time: 05:21 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:26 AM

I have just received my permit for Kenya. I filled the form yesterday so I was impressed with the speed (as a back up document I attached my air tickets, I made photo of passport page and I just cropped a suitable photo for a passport photo). 

Although they scared me as the application status was "Issue" so as an accountant I decided that there is an issue with the application and only when I checked the Permits section I found that it means the permit was issued :)

• wilddog and Tom Kellie like this

#27 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:12 PM

eVisa.jpg

~ As @bettel kindly noted, the eVisa for Single Entry is rapid.

There was no e-mail sent to me. Rather, I logged into my eCitizen account to check the status.

I saw that it had changed to ‘Issue’, so I clicked on a large rectangular button in the upper righthand corner labeled as ‘See Issue’.

The issued eVisa then appeared on the screen. At the lower righthand corner of the eVisa is a small button for ‘print’. Clicking that button produces a .pdf file on the screen, ready for printing.

For security reasons I've edited out several items.

Mission accomplished!

Two weeks from tonight I'll board an aircraft bound for Doha, Qatar then on to Nairobi, Kenya with the printed eVisa in hand.

Happy travels to @bettel and @pault and all other Safaritalk members who will visit Kenya within the coming months!

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie, 02 July 2015 - 03:20 PM.

• PT123, TonyQ and Girlsnstilettos like this

#28 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local time: 07:21 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:21 AM

Apparently if you are arriving in Kenya before 1st September you can still obtain a visa at the airport. After the 31st August you MUST apply using eVisa.

Geoff.

#29 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:18 AM

That is helpful to know. Hopefully any teething problems will be sorted out by then.

#30 Soukous

Soukous

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,006 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:30 AM

Safari Updates Agent's Corner - Great Lakes Safaris View this email in your browser gls_header.jpg East African Tourist Visa
This week we started with a rather unpleasant surprise about the increased visa fees for Uganda. Although we have all been shocked by this sudden decision, we strongly hope that it will not stop your customers from travelling to Uganda.

Because there is a very interesting alternative for the single entry visa fee! As a matter of fact, Uganda is not the only destination in East Africa that saw its immigration regulations changed.

Here is an overview of the new visa regimes (fees and application methods) for the East African countries:

Uganda
Effective 1st July 2015 the single entry tourist visa fee costs US $100 per person. Visas can still be purchased directly upon arrival and paid for in cash.

Rwanda
Effective 1st June 2015 the single entry tourist visa for Rwanda increased from US $30 to US $50 per person. Visas have to be applied for online via the Rwanda Immigration website.

Kindly note that some of the countries that were previously exempted from paying visa fees are no longer exempted. They are now required to pay visa fees but are allowed to obtain their visa upon arrival at Kigali International Airport. Affected countries include: Australia, Germany, Israel, New Zealand, South Africa, Sweden, United Kingdom (UK) and the United States of America (USA). 

Kenya
On 1st July 2015, the Kenyan government launched an online visa application. Any travellers visiting the country have to apply for their visa online via the portal www.ecitizen.go.ke and present a copy of their E-visa upon at the immigration.

Due to the short notice, travellers arriving in July and August are also still able to obtain their visa directly at the border, without an online confirmation. However, effective 1st September all visitors to Kenya will be required to apply and pay for the visa online.

Also remember:
  • You will need to scan and upload your passport and passport photo.
  • Payment has to be made via Visa card, Mastercard or other debit card.
  • Download and print the eVisa from your eCitizen account. This should be presented to the immigration officer at the port of entry. Passengers who cannot present a printed copy of their eVisa might be denied entry. 
  • The visa process takes at least two working days up to one full week.
  • The visa processing fee is non-refundable. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
  • The possession of an eVisa is not the final authority to enter Kenya.
How to apply for the Kenyan eVisa - step by step...

EAST AFRICAN TOURIST VISA

Due to the increased visa fees, the East African Tourist Visa has now become a very interesting alternative. Especially if your customers are planning to combine two or more of the above mentioned destinations, they will save a lot of hassle and money at the immigration.

The East African Tourist Visa costs US $100 and allows a 90-days multiple entry to Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya. Regretfully, Tanzania is not (yet) a member of the East African community and therefore not part of this special visa arrangement.

How to obtain the East African Tourist Visa:

Uganda
Upon arrival at the border, no (online) application in advance is required. The visa can be paid directly in cash.

Rwanda
Online via the Rwanda Immigration website. Similar to the application for the single entry visa but make sure to select the East African Tourist Visa.

Kenya
Currently still only available directly upon arrival but soon via the online portal as well.

Make sure that your customers benefit from the East African Tourist Visa and combine Rwanda's impressive scenery with Uganda's primates and Kenya's s abundant wildlife! 

Please do not hesitate to contact us in case of any questions or if further details are needed.

GREAT LAKES SAFARIS team

• Tom Kellie likes this

"if you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending the night in a closed room with a mosquito."

Martin Dunn FRGS

facebook: Wildlife Photography Africa

twitter@wildphotoafrica

#31 offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:56 PM

I just noticed a problem with the website encryption for Kenya's eCitizen website.  Looks like the SSL certificate (encryption key) for the eCitizen website has expired.

Here is the error message Firefox is giving me:

www.ecitizen.go.ke uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate expired on 7/9/2015 1:08 PM. The current time is 7/9/2015 2:43 PM. (Error code: sec_error_expired_certificate)

This is not in and of itself a horrendous security flaw, but it speaks to sloppy practices and may be the tip of the proverbial iceberg. 

Who sets up a website with an SSL cert that expires 8 days after launch?!

Edited by offshorebirder, 09 July 2015 - 06:56 PM.

• Sangeeta and Tom Kellie like this
https://www.flickr.c...offshorebirder2

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'
John Keats - Ode on a Grecian Urn

#32 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,761 posts
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

@offshorebirder  it is made not to work with firefox

internet explorer reveals

Applicant's using Mozilla firefox web browser may get a blank pdf (application form) after submitting the online application.
This is caused by a new feature introduced in the new version of firefox called "built-in PDF viewer". To avoid this we suggest applicants use internet explorer ,Google chrome or another browser when completing the application .

there is a link to the form at

https://www.kenyaembassy.com/dcservices/appforvisaonline.aspx

• TonyQ likes this

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#33 offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:48 PM

Understood @COSMIC RHINO - the SSL certificate security error I mentioned is not browser dependent - it exists across all browsers. Chrome and other browsers would yield the same info about the expired SSL certificate.

This issue is separate from any website quirks with respect to browser compatibility...

#34 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,761 posts
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:05 AM

the process sounds  a bit difficult for my skills, but I have a friend who can do the photo and the scan downloading

from those who have done it , I take it that the downloads needed are

1 passport photo

2 information page of passport

3 letter of invitation

For the letter of invitation I can use the itemised and travel days dated receipt from my agent

I have yet to book my airfares

I will be going in June 2016, I take it that you no longer need  the airline printout

so if  I want to I could have the visa application done relatively soon, is this correct?

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#35 samburumags

samburumags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:29 PM

Sounds like a nightmare. I presume this letter of notification can be a confirmation from a tour company. What if you don't have a scanner? What on earth is Kenya up to?
But, in the gathering darkness, deep behind my soul, someone, something whispers "Africa"" (Mark Owens "Secrets of the Savannah")

#36 offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:17 PM

@samburumags - I suspect it was done to save money - same as always.

If you need help scanning and uploading your passport photo:  your library might be able to help you - otherwise a copy shop (though they are getting increasingly hard to find lately).

Bon courage!

#37 Soukous

Soukous

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,006 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:07 AM

Offbeat safaris posted this

Change of Visa requirements for travel to Kenya:

From 1st September 2015 customers travelling to Kenya, who were previously eligible to purchase a visa on arrival, will now be required to purchase a visa online in advance of travel.

Customers requiring a visa will be asked to produce a printed copy of it at check-in. Customers without the required visa will not be accepted for travel.

For customers that need to apply for the visa please do so via www.ecitizen.go.ke or alternatively they may contact their nearest Kenyan High Commission/Consulate.

• Tom Kellie likes this

"if you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending the night in a closed room with a mosquito."

Martin Dunn FRGS

facebook: Wildlife Photography Africa

twitter@wildphotoafrica

#38 offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:25 PM

Kenyan e-visa gets mixed reaction from event industry:

http://www.meetpie.c...px?newsid=21470

"Unfortunately for the time being there are a string of potential issues expected with the September 1 rollout - which was probably hasty, particularly given that September is a busy month for Kenyan tourism arrivals. Particular concerns at present include turnaround time online; difficulties in paying by credit card rather than debit card; and an English-language only portal."

• Tom Kellie likes this

#39 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:30 PM

Kenyan e-visa gets mixed reaction from event industry:

http://www.meetpie.c...px?newsid=21470

"Unfortunately for the time being there are a string of potential issues expected with the September 1 rollout - which was probably hasty, particularly given that September is a busy month for Kenyan tourism arrivals. Particular concerns at present include turnaround time online; difficulties in paying by credit card rather than debit card; and an English-language only portal."

~ @offshorebirder

I'm truly sorry to learn this, as my own Kenyan e-visa experience was positive, after a bit of fumbling before it was officially implemented.

The only difficulty I experienced was with the airport immigration staff, who seemed slightly uncertain as to how to verify the printed e-visa I presented.

Both upon entry and at departure, they needed to use a dedicated mobile phone to verify by text message my e-visa number, yet the system didn't smoothly function.

Thank you for spotting and posting this updated information.

Tom K.

#40 offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:19 PM

But @Tom Kellie - didn't you have to try 3 different credit cards before finding one (a debit card) the eVisa website would accept? 

That seems like a real problem.

1)  Not everyone has several credit / debit cards they can try

2)  Forcing people to use debit cards (instead of credit cards) online is VERY irresponsible.  Credit cards are much safer to use online.  This is because if a credit card gets stolen/compromised you can dispute the charges and not have to pay for fraudulent activity.  However, with a debit card, the online thieves can suddenly empty your bank account associated with the debit card and not all banks offer protections / guarantees against online theft of your debit card info.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kenya, visa, eVisa

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.