Self-Drive Safari in Botswana, South Africa, and Namibiab

KaliCA

Excellent self drive TR and some great pics.

• 1 month later...

@@Galana

@@KaliCA

Great trip report. I admit I have read only the Namibia part, as Botswana is still a couple of years away. Only remark is about the size of your photos. They deserve to be posted in larger size!

Speaking of photos, did you posted then anywhere on-line, and if yes, are you willing to share the link to them?

Kruger, Tanzania, and what happened to your trip to Costa Rica?!

Hi, glad you liked it. Just got back from Kruger and TZ yesterday. It will take a while to sort through pics and my feelings towards TZ portion. It was incredible in many ways. The CR trip is booked and we will be going end of March till end of April

Hello KaliC.

Very sad to come to the end of this epic story. Thanks for taking us along with you. Great photographs.

Did I really say that about Rhinos? Another one the bushmen have is "See a Rhino, think of a tree.".

Way back in Botswana you mentioned needing a photo of Tawny Eagle. I will dig one out and send it. To tell a Tawny from an Immature Bateleur, just look at the head and Bill. Bigger head and black blunt bill in the Bat. Tawny has yellow eye and bill.

re. Wattled Cranes. You were indeed lucky to see those. Quite uncommon and endangered.

And I don't think the building with the Solar Panel on it is a hide. It used to be a diesel pump in there and no doubt there was no need to change the structure when the electric pump was installed. I would not like to be in there, even if there was room. The slots are big enough to permit entry by half grown lions if you look at your photos.

Finally I am sorry things did not work out as planned with your friends. I too get problems like that. Not only do they take minimal interest in the route but often save their complaints about accommodation etc., until it is too late to fix things. Folks also need there own space.

Oh yes, you did say that about the rhino in the bush. It got quoted a lot, every time we saw rhino in Kruger! Probably saw 20+ in the bush. Regarding traveling with friends and family...I too came to the conclusion it is easier and less stressful to just go as a couple. Even with my sister and brother in law, we were not in sync. They only got up way past the golden light hour and wanted to be back in camp early to bake bread and sit by the fire, while we wanted to catch the cats and other animals during the witching hour before dark. Well, there is really nothing wrong with either approach, it just didn't make for harmonious camping. P.S. Now we understand why you hire a driver for TZ trips!

Thanks to all for your kind words and compliments on our photographs. Very much appreciated. There may be a TR about our self-drive in Tanzania, once I'm over jet-lag and the wash is done.

Hope to see you on the TZ forum!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

What a read, thanks Kallica I enjoyed your TR a lot.

Cheer

Hads

What a read, thanks Kallica I enjoyed your TR a lot.

Cheer

Hads[/

Hi, thanks for reading along and for your comments. Here is the link to my recent trip report of our self-drive in Tanzania this August. Mara migration, lions in camp, lots of adventures.

http://safaritalk.net/topic/15256-self-drive-safari-through-northern-tz-parks-of-mara-crossings-and-lions-in-camp/

Lots of action at those waterholes. Even mating eles! Those lion cubs on the move are just adorable. Those tussling zebra are a great catch.

131-138: are those the posts with photos from the area around Hobatere? What waterholes are around Hobatere? Was the one waterhole with inadequate pumping near Hobatere?

Lots of action at those waterholes. Even mating eles! Those lion cubs on the move are just adorable. I see I already mentioned the cubs in my previous response. Well, they certainly made an impression! Those tussling zebra are a great catch.

131-138: are those the posts with photos from the area around Hobatere? What waterholes are around Hobatere? Was the one waterhole with inadequate pumping near Hobatere?

Lots of action at those waterholes. Even mating eles! Those lion cubs on the move are just adorable. I see I already mentioned the cubs in my previous response. Well, they certainly made an impression! Those tussling zebra are a great catch.

Hi, I was just thinking that you have already responded to this report earlier, glad to hear it deserved a second look from you!

Until those cubs, we did not realize that lions have nurseries. Amazing really to know that those lionesses organize themselves, all with body language and instinct. We imagined them having conversations like" ok, please watch my babies till almost nightfall. We will be back here and lead you to our kill later." I mean, how do they know all this? Which reminds me, I need to read up more on lions' social behavior.

The almost and completely dry waterholes we encountered past Olifantsrus.

Hobatere CS is located just outside th Galton gate, see post # 141