Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pault

Lufthansa to restart flights to Nairobi

6 posts in this topic

Not that Europeans are really short of ways to get to East Africa, but after many years Lufthansa is resuming flights to Nairobi from Frankfurt. Interesting in that they cite "demand from leisure travelers" as the reason, and this is not the old Lufthansa who thought they had a responsibility to fly everywhere as the national carrier. Routes are very much a business decision now - for strategy or profit. Strange to compete with their own group company, Swiss, if the volume isn't there.

They will fly four times a week (and 5 times over Christmas and New Year). Around 650 euros for now, but an 11.10 am departure from Frankfurt means you'll have to get up very early to catch it if you are not already in Germany or don't live near to an airport,

http://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/press/news-releases/singleview/archive/2015/june/08/article/3531.html

Posted (edited)

doesn't "leisure travellers" usually mean "tourists" (as opposed to "business travellers")? I don't see many German tourists heading for Nairobi, pretty much all of them head to Mombasa and there are at least two German carriers serving this destination

on the other hand, if they do indeed concentrate on German customers, then an 11:10 am departure makes sense: enough time for all those domestic flights to catch it and still early enough to arrive in Nairobi at a decent time, then leave probably the very same night for the return flight

Edited by ice

@@ice Yes, exactly. Tourists. That's why I thought it was interesting. The Kenyan newspapers appear quite excited about it.

@@pault

@@ice Yes, exactly. Tourists. That's why I thought it was interesting. The Kenyan newspapers appear quite excited about it.

I hope they are right about getting excited but I doubt it

Thanks for the info.

This could be good news for me. Amsterdam-Frankfurt is a quick hop. Holland to a German airport is also quite a normal route for residents of Holland to pick up long haul flights from other carriers. I've done it before. Although an 11.10am flight would mean an early start.

BUT it will be another option for passengers which may mean the KLM/Kenya code share from Amsterdam improves or becomes cheaper.

1 person likes this

Good news for me too as Lufthansa flys out of Boston as does Swiss and BA.