See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom Kellie

Reduced Carry-on Bag Size Proposed

7 posts in this topic

Kind of a bummer if you travel a lot and will need to buy a new, smaller carry-on bag.

I think it would mainly be enforced by bankrupt airlines first ........ a way of making money!!!

Avoid flying them!

Emirates - carryon - 22" 8Kg max; I use a 20", at 8Kg and do just fine. 2nd bag has to be even smaller - I carry a 13"backpack. Although they weighed my bag at NBO and it was 11Kg; I just smiled and said, souvenirs. They let it go. I did buy some hard cover books at MP.

Professional Photogs will have a difficult time but with my P&S no issues. I never check baggage as I worry it will not make the transfer. With camps doing laundry, less is more.

If I were a pro, I'd probably call and explain the need to carry on the long lenses; they may work with you. I can't imagine checking that expensive equipment!!

2 people like this

I wear a Paramo Traveller's Jacket on the recommendation of Andy Rouse and put a lot of my photo gear including zooms like the 100-400 in the large pockets so my carry on weighs around 5kg. It's a bit lumpy to sleep in on long flights. :)

3 people like this

I wear a Paramo Traveller's Jacket on the recommendation of Andy Rouse and put a lot of my photo gear including zooms like the 100-400 in the large pockets so my carry on weighs around 5kg. It's a bit lumpy to sleep in on long flights. :)

~ @@JohnR

Who knew?

You knew!

This is the first time that I've heard of Paramo or of Andy Rouse.

After a bit of looking around on the Internet I found images of it.

A great idea! The telling detail is your helpful mention of carrying your 100-400mm zoom in a pocket, no less!

It may be that I'll consider your approach, accepting lumpy snoozing as being what economists describe an ‘opportunity cost’.

Very helpful post.

Thank you!

Tom K.

afaik this proposal has already been withdrawn