See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Favourite safari beverage..

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts
  • Local time: 09:31 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:16 AM

Did you "just happen to have a bottle of Stony with you" @Tom Kellie

~ @Africlan

After passing through Kenya immigration into the pre-flight waiting area, I walked along the duty-free shops.

When I noticed that one shop had a small glass-fronted refrigerated display case with chilled drinks, I entered the shop.

They sold Stoney! I bought a bottle, drinking outside of the gate area, as there's a second security screening, thus no liquid is allowed to be taken in.

The empty bottle was stuck in a side pocket of my camera bag, finally coming out at home, back in Beijing.

Seeing it is a happy reminder of ‘things Kenyan’, bringing a smile.

I have taught a group of Kenyan botany graduate students, to whom I showed the Stoney bottle as a reminder of hime.

Tom K.

• armchair bushman and AfricIan like this

#22 Marks

Marks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts
  • Local time: 09:31 AM
  • Category 2:Writer

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:40 PM

Hardly an original answer, but it's Amarula for me, as well. I would happily drink it at home if only it were sold locally.

#23 Wild Dogger

Wild Dogger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Local time: 03:31 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:49 PM

I like my white wine as a sundowner drink. Red wine for dinner´s fine.

When on self drive in South Africa nothing beats a Black Lable for me. I guess, here in Germany I would not touch it :P

Safaris and Ketchup are similar, sometimes you shake the bottle of Ketchup and nothing comes out, you shake and shake and shake and all of a sudden everything pops out.
So donīt stop shaking the bottle, thereīs a lot inside.

#24 JohnR

JohnR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts
  • Local time: 02:31 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:10 PM

Mines a G&T or Campari&Soda. But I do like a shot of Amarula in my coffee.
What pays stays.

#25 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts
  • Local time: 02:31 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:15 PM

G&T, ice and a slice.

Coffee, naked, is my hot drink of choice...

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#26 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,626 posts
  • Local time: 12:01 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:40 PM

Another vote for Bitter Lemon. After the day's over I like a G&T and like Matt, prefer my coffee naked. Black and strong, in fact. I don't drink more than a cup of coffee a day at home but the caffeine keeps me going on safari.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#27 marg

marg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Local time: 06:31 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:18 PM

G and T's for sundowners if we stop.  Then, amarula over ice around the fire after dinner with the "nice" folks.  Oops..forgot the wine with dinner....no wonder we sleep so well. :rolleyes:

• graceland likes this

#28 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,079 posts
  • Local time: 08:31 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:43 AM

Banana gin. It does help you sleep soundly.

Not really my favorite but just like the chimps I'll drink palm wine if I am in the mood, the company's good and it keeps the party going.

Waiting again... for the next time again

#29 graceland

graceland

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:52 AM

G and T's for sundowners if we stop.  Then, amarula over ice around the fire after dinner with the "nice" folks.  Oops..forgot the wine with dinner....no wonder we sleep so well. :rolleyes:

Whew, I am so thankful I am not the only one who loves G*t's;  And wine.....haven't tried the Amarula over ice - maybe next trip. I did have it one very cold morning in hot chocolate....delicious.

But I was worried my "Ladies  in the Mara" thought me a "lush" on the Feb. trip ; I was the ONLY one with g*ts; and wine; yes, every night... (well maybe one or two nights or so I was joined....I am an every nighter :P  And there was always a manager or host around to toast the day with me.

Thankful to see I am not the ONLY one. I was thinking an intervention was needed  :D

AFTER the safari, of course.....

Not that I'd change a thing.... I love my sundowners here on the river; we just observed an eagle and two osprys fighting. Called for a subdued, white non oaky chard in my mind!! It was perfect.

Edited by graceland, 11 June 2015 - 12:56 AM.

• JohnR, KaingU Lodge and Tom Kellie like this

#30 graceland

graceland

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:08 AM

Banana gin. It does help you sleep soundly.

Not really my favorite but just like the chimps I'll drink palm wine if I am in the mood, the company's good and it keeps the party going.

So Pault, in all my (not so many) trips I'v never been offerd Banana gin....it this a secret society one must join?

Or maybe AFTER seeing chimps, I get one. Immediately.

Though I am not a Tough liquor person; a fine wine is my requirement. After all you know how classy  I am :rolleyes:

#31 AKR1

AKR1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:17 AM

Beverages/sun downers are an important part of safari for me :rolleyes:

A scotch and soda or on occasion a fine claret- BYOB carried 8k miles :P

IMG_8485.JPG

• madaboutcheetah, graceland and twaffle like this

#32 marg

marg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:27 AM

@AKR1   nice bucket!

• madaboutcheetah and AKR1 like this

#33 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,021 posts
  • Local time: 01:31 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:37 AM

That's a Kwando special just for that nice wine AKR1 brought with him from NY...... they certainly don't have a nice ice bucket for the normally served stuff ;)

Edited by madaboutcheetah, 11 June 2015 - 04:55 AM.

• AKR1 likes this

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#34 KaingU Lodge

KaingU Lodge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Local time: 04:31 PM
  • Category 1:Lodge Owner/Manager
  • Category 2:Lodge Owner/Manager

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:41 AM

Whew, I am so thankful I am not the only one who loves G*t's;  And wine.....haven't tried the Amarula over ice - maybe next trip. I did have it one very cold morning in hot chocolate....delicious.

But I was worried my "Ladies  in the Mara" thought me a "lush" on the Feb. trip ; I was the ONLY one with g*ts; and wine; yes, every night... (well maybe one or two nights or so I was joined....I am an every nighter :P  And there was always a manager or host around to toast the day with me.

Thankful to see I am not the ONLY one. I was thinking an intervention was needed  :D

AFTER the safari, of course.....

Not that I'd change a thing.... I love my sundowners here on the river; we just observed an eagle and two osprys fighting. Called for a subdued, white non oaky chard in my mind!! It was perfect.

Morning amarula.  Brilliant!  

G&T for me, or an ice cold Mosi or Windhoek.  I insinuate that it is one - but if it is a 'staff outing' then it will be several!  

• madaboutcheetah likes this

#35 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,021 posts
  • Local time: 01:31 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:09 AM

Is the Marula fruit edible?  If so, I'm surprised I've never encountered it in any form on any menu - maybe a mousse' or crème brulee' ..... then again, it might be Amarula based.

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#36 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,079 posts
  • Local time: 08:31 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:19 AM

@graceland Banana gin is a recommendation for AFTER your trek. And please ask someone to take a picture of the face of the manager at Clouds when you ask him to arrange some. Tonic and lemon or bitter lemon are probably the best mixers if you are reckless enough. The taste of Palm wine was too much even for me... although perhaps it just wasn't a good vintage.

Banana gin even has online reviews..... who knew? This is certainly not the brand we had as "bland and disappointing" it was not.

http://theginisin.co...nda-waragi-gin/

Seriously don't drink the homebrew stuff unless you know who made it - but I guess being from the southern states you would know that.

Edited by pault, 11 June 2015 - 05:25 AM.

Waiting again... for the next time again

#37 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,626 posts
  • Local time: 12:01 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:44 AM

Is the Marula fruit edible?  If so, I'm surprised I've never encountered it in any form on any menu - maybe a mousse' or crème brulee' ..... then again, it might be Amarula based.

Squack stopped our vehicle on the road out of Tarangire to show us marula fruits.  I have an iPhone pic of it somewhere.  The fruit is unremarkable in taste and size so I think the expression "why would you bother" applies.  Obviously, once turned into the creamy delight that is Amarula cream, it gains a new and exciting life!  

• madaboutcheetah likes this

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#38 gagan

gagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Local time: 07:01 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:30 AM

My fellow local guys in dar es salaam were obsessed with "KONYAGI"...they said it was better than vodka and gin ..being strong at 35%...one of the leading brands in tanzania..

#39 graceland

graceland

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

@graceland Banana gin is a recommendation for AFTER your trek. And please ask someone to take a picture of the face of the manager at Clouds when you ask him to arrange some. Tonic and lemon or bitter lemon are probably the best mixers if you are reckless enough. The taste of Palm wine was too much even for me... although perhaps it just wasn't a good vintage.

Banana gin even has online reviews..... who knew? This is certainly not the brand we had as "bland and disappointing" it was not.

http://theginisin.co...nda-waragi-gin/

Seriously don't drink the homebrew stuff unless you know who made it - but I guess being from the southern states you would know that.

Ha Ha, yes we have home made brews of just about everything; and if we drive a few hours there is moonshine to be had. Being the proper southern lady, I've not touched a drop :blink:

I will have photos taken before and after the Banana  gin. Though I don't even like Banana daquiris so ....you may see me grimacing. :unsure:

I do like cucumbers with my gin; I doubt they offer that one though. Hard to even find  lime in Africa. Wonder if I can sneak one in?

#40 marg

marg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:55 PM

@graceland...so you drink Hendricks?!

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.