gagan

Favourite safari beverage..

71 posts in this topic

Another vote for Bitter Lemon. After the day's over I like a G&T and like Matt, prefer my coffee naked. Black and strong, in fact. I don't drink more than a cup of coffee a day at home but the caffeine keeps me going on safari.

G and T's for sundowners if we stop. Then, amarula over ice around the fire after dinner with the "nice" folks. Oops..forgot the wine with dinner....no wonder we sleep so well. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this

Banana gin. It does help you sleep soundly.

Not really my favorite but just like the chimps I'll drink palm wine if I am in the mood, the company's good and it keeps the party going.

Posted (edited)

G and T's for sundowners if we stop. Then, amarula over ice around the fire after dinner with the "nice" folks. Oops..forgot the wine with dinner....no wonder we sleep so well. :rolleyes:

Whew, I am so thankful I am not the only one who loves G*t's; And wine.....haven't tried the Amarula over ice - maybe next trip. I did have it one very cold morning in hot chocolate....delicious.

But I was worried my "Ladies in the Mara" thought me a "lush" on the Feb. trip ; I was the ONLY one with g*ts; and wine; yes, every night... (well maybe one or two nights or so I was joined....I am an every nighter :P And there was always a manager or host around to toast the day with me.

Thankful to see I am not the ONLY one. I was thinking an intervention was needed :D

AFTER the safari, of course.....

Not that I'd change a thing.... I love my sundowners here on the river; we just observed an eagle and two osprys fighting. Called for a subdued, white non oaky chard in my mind!! It was perfect.

Edited by graceland
3 people like this

Banana gin. It does help you sleep soundly.

Not really my favorite but just like the chimps I'll drink palm wine if I am in the mood, the company's good and it keeps the party going.

So Pault, in all my (not so many) trips I'v never been offerd Banana gin....it this a secret society one must join?

Or maybe AFTER seeing chimps, I get one. Immediately.

Though I am not a Tough liquor person; a fine wine is my requirement. After all you know how classy I am :rolleyes:

Beverages/sun downers are an important part of safari for me :rolleyes:

A scotch and soda or on occasion a fine claret- BYOB carried 8k miles :P

IMG_8485.JPG

3 people like this

@@AKR1 nice bucket!

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

That's a Kwando special just for that nice wine AKR1 brought with him from NY...... they certainly don't have a nice ice bucket for the normally served stuff ;)

Edited by madaboutcheetah
1 person likes this

Whew, I am so thankful I am not the only one who loves G*t's; And wine.....haven't tried the Amarula over ice - maybe next trip. I did have it one very cold morning in hot chocolate....delicious.

But I was worried my "Ladies in the Mara" thought me a "lush" on the Feb. trip ; I was the ONLY one with g*ts; and wine; yes, every night... (well maybe one or two nights or so I was joined....I am an every nighter :P And there was always a manager or host around to toast the day with me.

Thankful to see I am not the ONLY one. I was thinking an intervention was needed :D

AFTER the safari, of course.....

Not that I'd change a thing.... I love my sundowners here on the river; we just observed an eagle and two osprys fighting. Called for a subdued, white non oaky chard in my mind!! It was perfect.

Morning amarula. Brilliant!

G&T for me, or an ice cold Mosi or Windhoek. I insinuate that it is one - but if it is a 'staff outing' then it will be several!

1 person likes this

Is the Marula fruit edible? If so, I'm surprised I've never encountered it in any form on any menu - maybe a mousse' or crème brulee' ..... then again, it might be Amarula based.

Posted (edited)

@@graceland Banana gin is a recommendation for AFTER your trek. And please ask someone to take a picture of the face of the manager at Clouds when you ask him to arrange some. Tonic and lemon or bitter lemon are probably the best mixers if you are reckless enough. The taste of Palm wine was too much even for me... although perhaps it just wasn't a good vintage.

Banana gin even has online reviews..... who knew? This is certainly not the brand we had as "bland and disappointing" it was not.

http://theginisin.com/gin-reviews/uganda-waragi-gin/

Seriously don't drink the homebrew stuff unless you know who made it - but I guess being from the southern states you would know that.

Edited by pault

Is the Marula fruit edible? If so, I'm surprised I've never encountered it in any form on any menu - maybe a mousse' or crème brulee' ..... then again, it might be Amarula based.

Squack stopped our vehicle on the road out of Tarangire to show us marula fruits. I have an iPhone pic of it somewhere. The fruit is unremarkable in taste and size so I think the expression "why would you bother" applies. Obviously, once turned into the creamy delight that is Amarula cream, it gains a new and exciting life!

1 person likes this

My fellow local guys in dar es salaam were obsessed with "KONYAGI"...they said it was better than vodka and gin ..being strong at 35%...one of the leading brands in tanzania..

@@graceland Banana gin is a recommendation for AFTER your trek. And please ask someone to take a picture of the face of the manager at Clouds when you ask him to arrange some. Tonic and lemon or bitter lemon are probably the best mixers if you are reckless enough. The taste of Palm wine was too much even for me... although perhaps it just wasn't a good vintage.

Banana gin even has online reviews..... who knew? This is certainly not the brand we had as "bland and disappointing" it was not.

http://theginisin.com/gin-reviews/uganda-waragi-gin/

Seriously don't drink the homebrew stuff unless you know who made it - but I guess being from the southern states you would know that.

Ha Ha, yes we have home made brews of just about everything; and if we drive a few hours there is moonshine to be had. Being the proper southern lady, I've not touched a drop :blink:

I will have photos taken before and after the Banana gin. Though I don't even like Banana daquiris so ....you may see me grimacing. :unsure:

I do like cucumbers with my gin; I doubt they offer that one though. Hard to even find lime in Africa. Wonder if I can sneak one in?

@@graceland...so you drink Hendricks?!

Cold beer, white wine or when available Savannah Cider with ice and a bowl of salted cashew nuts :)

Worst drink a cup of coffee with a shot of Konyagi :wacko::blink::(

~ @@graceland

Also called for a telephoto lens focussed on the action!

Your river life sounds mighty fine!

Tom K.

@@graceland...so you drink Hendricks?!

Whenever its' available; have not seen it in Africa though :(

When I flew last year to Zim, I was chatting with the FA about gin and tonics in Africa; she filled a bag full of Tanquery Gin small bottles for us to take on our mobile. And gave us a full bottle of Saphhire Blue from First Class. Let me tell ya; our guide was stoked :P He borrowed some lemons from another camp :D after SPOTTING them.

(We were not in F; she just scooped it up and handed it to us!) So be nice to those FA's; you never know!

2 people like this

~ @@graceland

Also called for a telephoto lens focussed on the action!

Your river life sounds mighty fine!

Tom K.

You are so right Tom, though the binos are always ready, my iphone needs a zoom!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Cold beer for daytime drinking - Windhoek Draught (black can) by preference.

A lager shandy made with Stoney's is nice in the heat of the day.

G&T from dusk onwards - preferrably Hendrik's gin, but Malawi gin is a very acceptable local(ish) alternative.

An enamel mug of malt whisky (not necessarily brimmed!), accompanied by a slice of fruit cake is ideal just before retiring.

Wine just doesn't seem to work in the bush - even taking very nice quality wines has been a waste in my experience. Perhaps a combination of very high ambient temperatures and the 'robust' food we tend to prepare?

Edited by Whyone?

Amarula is too sweet for my tastes. Was in the wine biz for 25 years, so naturally that's the choice with meals, and most of the SA wines are decent enough. Would love to see more sparkling wines offered at camps, as every safari day is a celebration! Appalled by the instant coffee offered at many otherwise fine camps. Was delighted with French pressed coffee at Nanzilla Plains in Kafue NP last year. G&T's are a part of the fabric of a sundowner, and rather appropriately British it seems to me.

1 person likes this

@@marg - Hendricks is brilliant, indeed!!!

@@madaboutcheetah yes, and cucumbers are the garnish for Hendricks.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@@madaboutcheetah yes, and cucumbers are the garnish for Hendricks.

Quite delightful; @@marg we need to have one together!

And of couse Hari is invited!

Edited by graceland
1 person likes this

coffee in the mornings (and none of that amarula - I want to be AWAKE on a game drive)

white wine for sundowners

red wine with dinner

The quality doesn't seem to matter too much when you are sat around a campfire with all the sounds of Africa around you. I can only remember 2 occasions where I had to buy red wine as the included version was unpalatable ;)

1 person likes this