gagan

Favourite safari beverage..

71 posts in this topic

What drinks you usually want to have during safari..

I remember holding kilimanjaro lager can while walking on the foothills of kilimanjaro in moshi.

Again during my serengeti visit I enjoyed 'serengeti lager' at nyani campsite.

But mostly I chose bitterlemon when in dar es salaam.. .

What drinks you usually want to have during safari..

I remember holding kilimanjaro lager can while walking on the foothills of kilimanjaro in moshi.

Again during my serengeti visit I enjoyed 'serengeti lager' at nyani campsite.

But mostly I chose bitterlemon when in dar es salaam.. .

~ @@gagan

By now, you already know my answer:

Passionfruit juice.

I also like currant juice sipped from small boxes.

Tea is appreciated, especially in those rare instances where honey is available to discreetly blend in.

Tom K.

1 person likes this

What about bushbeer and softdrinks @@Tom Kellie..??

What about bushbeer and softdrinks @@Tom Kellie..??

~ @@gagan

Not my taste.

I stick with the basic juices, or tea, or water.

Drinking them cheers me up!

Tom K.

1 person likes this

In East Africa it's got to be Stoney Tangawizi. Whilst it (as Stoney Ginger beer) is available elsewhere in the world, in East Africa it has much stronger ginger bite and is less carbonated making it the most thirst quenching soft drink I know.

1 person likes this

In East Africa it's got to be Stoney Tangawizi. Whilst it (as Stoney Ginger beer) is available elsewhere in the world, in East Africa it has much stronger ginger bite and is less carbonated making it the most thirst quenching soft drink I know.

~ @Africlan

I sometimes wish that it were available where I live.

Tom K.

post-49296-0-07342600-1433712559_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

Amarula in Africa, Guiness in Dublin, St. Miguel in Spain etc etc

Strange I don't like any of them back at home,but they add to the total experience during travels,as do local foods.

2 people like this

Tusker!

Posted (edited)

OH good, a topic I can relate to. Normally I never drink hard liquor here in states; however, I find a gin and tonic in Africa to be sublime. Both DH and I have tried to analyze why we hate tonic here.....but not there...he even researched tonics and found out they have a different recipe for US tonics vs. Africa tonics and he contacted the tonic company but they would not even ship us a case of the tonics they produce for Africa....wonder why? Hey we offered good money!

I never think the wine in Africa is as good as what I purchase here; and i know SA has good wines; however, with the exception of maybe two camps (Craig Van Zyl and Mara Plains) I've never had a decent red. I imagne it is a budget issue, therefore, i gave up on a decent red wine and swtiched to G&T. I only drink a beer if we have a flat tiire. KInd of a ritual for this family :unsure:

Shame that camps who pride themselves on their gourmet food cannot offer a decent wine. ALTHOUGH I understand the camps where "some folks" come and drink them out of house and home.....so why offer the good stuff! However I don't drink grape juice disguised as wine.

Just hide some in the back for those of us who would appreciate it! A good wine complements a fine meal. And, the antioxidents are very good for you when traveling :D

Edited by graceland
2 people like this

Ah, other Stoney Tangawizi fans! I loooove that, and agree it is incredibly thirst quenching.

I cannot replicate the gin and tonic here at home that I had in Kenya, try as I might. The camp staff at Porini Lion, in particular, make a mean G&T.

2 people like this

@@notpop I'm with you. I like Amarula in Africa, but I don't drink it at home!

Safari lager

Tusker

Serengeti

Ndovu

Kilimanjaro

Are some the brands very famous in east africa.....

@@graceland - so the tonic (as in the soda) is different? ......... Oh - didn't know that!

I'm of the opinion that the Stoney drink is ginger ale with less sugar and a stronger ginger flavour? Sure beats Canada Dry!

1 person likes this

Has anyone tried AZAM juice in tanzania..??:):):)

Has anyone tried AZAM juice in tanzania..?? :):) :)

~ @@gagan

What is ‘AZAM’ juice?

Tom K.

AZAM is a company manufacturing juice; miks products, electronics products based in tanzania...

AZAM is a company manufacturing juice; miks products, electronics products based in tanzania...

~ @@gagan

Thank you for telling me about the AZAM corporation.

I wasn't clear enough with my inquiry.

Of what does AZAM's juice consist?

What sorts of fruit juices are blended to result in AZAM juice?

I apologize for my lack of clarity.

Tom K.

Tusker and GT! And Amarula once in a while. Which I wouldn´t touch at home, but on safari it just tastes right.

Did you "just happen to have a bottle of Stony with you" @@Tom Kellie? I don't know if it's been my imagination but the plastic bottles have never seemed to have the same bite as the glass bottled. I can't remember where I heard it but my understanding is that the "classic glass bottled variety" uses cane sugar whereas the plastic bottled & cans use a more international recipe that usespalm syrup so tastes more "sickly sweet" - I wonder if thats the reason @@graceland 's tonic tastes so different?

My ultimate Stoney - Clambering back into Kichaka's gameviewer after 4-5 hours walking through Ruaha & cracking open a Stoney that had been chilled to a "slush puppy" - absolute nectar!!!

Canada Dry @@madaboutcheetah ? - No comparison

1 person likes this

@African, I had perfect g&t's with Moli as well...and remember him talking about Stoney. Sorry I gave it a pass.

Our tonic came in very small pop top cans; and I think not sugary as US tonics; a bit more tart. Some say its because there is quinine, others questionable. It definitely was not sweet; I really do not eat or drink anything too sweet or sugary. Noelle made these gorgeous desserts; and when I told her we did not eat sugar; and please don't bother for us; she was downright relieved. They did not want to eat them either. Amazing what came out of that kitchen.

However they did have to make a wine run :rolleyes: We all enjoyed that under the eve. stars!

Did you "just happen to have a bottle of Stony with you" @@Tom Kellie?

~ @Africlan

After passing through Kenya immigration into the pre-flight waiting area, I walked along the duty-free shops.

When I noticed that one shop had a small glass-fronted refrigerated display case with chilled drinks, I entered the shop.

They sold Stoney! I bought a bottle, drinking outside of the gate area, as there's a second security screening, thus no liquid is allowed to be taken in.

The empty bottle was stuck in a side pocket of my camera bag, finally coming out at home, back in Beijing.

Seeing it is a happy reminder of ‘things Kenyan’, bringing a smile.

I have taught a group of Kenyan botany graduate students, to whom I showed the Stoney bottle as a reminder of hime.

Tom K.

2 people like this

Hardly an original answer, but it's Amarula for me, as well. I would happily drink it at home if only it were sold locally.

I like my white wine as a sundowner drink. Red wine for dinner´s fine.

When on self drive in South Africa nothing beats a Black Lable for me. I guess, here in Germany I would not touch it :P

Mines a G&T or Campari&Soda. But I do like a shot of Amarula in my coffee.

G&T, ice and a slice.

Coffee, naked, is my hot drink of choice...