See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Show us your cranes, egrets, hamerkops, herons, pelicans and storks...

crane egret heron pelican stork hamerkop

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Antee

Antee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Local time: 01:50 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:55 AM

Two really really rare birds.

Wattled Crane , Linyanti River, Botswana

Status Vulnerable

Only 7700 individuals left in the world. Most of them in the Okavango delta. It is the most wetland-dependent crane in Africa.

DSC_0881.JPG

DSC_0884.JPG

Black-necked Crane, Tibetan high plateau

Status vulnerable

Estimated population 11 000 individuals.
The black-necked crane is found at extremely high elevations, typically 3000-4900m in the summertime. 

Tibet 128.JPG

Tibet 125.JPG

And the not so rare Crown crane, with a Puku in South Luangwa, Zambia

Population between 58 000 - 77 000 individuals

Status Endangered

I´ll find it strange that the most common one is the most endangered one...

DSC_0119.JPG

Edited by Antee, 03 February 2016 - 07:05 AM.

• Patty, Terry, Peter Connan and 3 others like this

#42 Patty

Patty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Local time: 04:50 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:16 PM

Sandhill cranes at Bosque del Apache, New Mexico

Returning to the roosting pond in the evening

gallery_5741_1386_192568.jpg

Taking off from the icy pond in the morning

gallery_5741_1386_1498884.jpg

Mid-day feeding in the fields

gallery_5741_1386_685460.jpg

• Treepol, michael-ibk, Terry and 4 others like this

The best way to a man's heart is through the fourth and fifth rib

#43 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts
  • Local time: 07:50 AM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:35 AM

~ @Patty and @Antee

Thank you so much for posting these terrific crane images.

All of your photos are highly appreciated.

Cranes richly deserve every photograph, due to their grace and beauty.

I especially enjoy seeing cranes in various settings.

Tom K.

• Patty likes this

#44 inyathi

inyathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts
  • Local time: 12:50 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:49 PM

Now that I've worked out that you don't need to go to my Flickr site to view my full sized panoramas you can view them properly here on ST, I decided I had to add the following extraordinary view to this thread click on the photo to view the full sized image, I think this is as long a photo as it's possible to upload to Flickr and probably the longest panorama I successfully created so far.

17782184868_10d142c7b3_o.jpg

Waterbirds at Rigueik in Zakouma National Park in Chad

In this view there are saddle-billed, yellow-billed and marabou storks, grey herons, squacco herons, cattle egrets, sacred ibis, great white pelicans, African spoonbill, black-winged stilt, spur-winged geese, juvenile fish eagles and a black kite over the other side of the water there are herds of antelopes, tiang, lelwel hartebeest and Defassa waterbuck as far as I can tell. Those are the species that I have managed to spot in my even larger version and in the original photos from which I created this panorama but there may well be more species that I haven't spotted, you may not be able to find all of them in this version. Though I'm sure I've seen for example greater and lesser flamingos in far larger flocks than this I have never seen such a range of different species in these numbers anywhere else.

Edited by inyathi, 21 February 2016 - 11:54 PM.

• Peter Connan, TonyQ, offshorebirder and 1 other like this

#45 deano

deano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Local time: 06:50 PM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:11 AM

@inyathi - WOW! Amazing image(s). Thank you for posting...have you printed that one  :D?

#46 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:18 AM

~ @inyathi

For such a panorama “over-the-top” is the superlative of choice.

I actually laughed aloud when I first saw it.

A birding photography tour de force!

Thank you.

Tom K.

#47 inyathi

inyathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:52 AM

@deano I'm guessing you're not being entirely serious about printing it, I don’t normally ever get around printing any of my photos so I hadn’t considered printing any of my other panoramas nevermind this monster, but since you suggested it. Just for curiosity's sake I had brief look into the idea, it was created from 19 photos and I’ve just had a look at the properties for the original version and it’s 21413 x 942 pixels I looked at various websites to get a conversion to cms and was quite amazed that that works out at 566 x 24 cm. It wouldn’t have occured to me that I could ever end up with a panorama that’s over five and half metres long. The version on Flickr is roughly half the size but it’s still so big that Flickr can’t cope with the length and records it as 9999 so I’m not absolutely certain of the dimensions but I measured the height on my screen as it’s displayed on Flickr and it’s 14cms, here on ST it’s only 13cm while the height given on Flickr is 440 pixels which is actually only 11.6cms whatever the actual height is that puts the length at from 2.7 to 3.3 metres. I’m afraid without reducing the height too much I think it may just be a bit too long to print as one image :lol:  perhaps if I cut it in to 3 or 4 pieces it might work but even then it would require a lot of wall space to hang once framed. Even so I am a litte bit tempted by the idea :D

Here’s a somewhat shorter panorama from my 2014 visit to Zakouma of black-crowned cranes at Rigueik which gives some idea of the numbers that congregate here, in amongst are spur-winged geese and knob-billed ducks, cattle egrets, a pied kingfisher and I’m sure various other birds.

13934302829_3eb42af489_o.jpg

• michael-ibk and Terry like this

#48 deano

deano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:53 AM

@inyathi - I was kidding but I am glad you decided to check it out. I print some of my own stuff at home and am just about to embark on a test of panoramas as my printer can apparently churn out 44 inches (112cm) by 13 inches (33 cm). I use 300 ppi as my rule of thumb but have used much less than that with good results. Much more ppi and I think its pretty pointless with an entry level printer like mine (Epson Artisan 1430) not to mention entry level photography skills! I would definitely be tempted to try and print one of your panoramas if I was you but yes you will need to break it up as much as you can. I think you can recalculate your ppi (or pp - cm) and get something about 10ft or so which would be about 3 prints on my machine and pretty cheap to do after the outlay for printer and ink). I dare say you will be limited by wall space more than anything else...unless you live in an art gallery? Or try printing on canvas that is about 1'' thick and you can "wrap" the image around the side and go without frames. It is quite a modern look though but will save you a few inches in wasted frames and mounts if space really is an issue.

I would love to hear how you get on...I am sure there will be a print shop where you are that would be interested in helping you out as I can't imagine they get many requests for big panoramas and they could use yours as advertising.....worth a try.

kind regards

deano.

Edited by deano, 23 February 2016 - 01:55 AM.

• inyathi likes this

#49 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local time: 09:50 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:23 AM

Just for curiosity's sake I had brief look into the idea, it was created from 19 photos and I’ve just had a look at the properties for the original version and it’s 21413 x 942 pixels. 

@inyathi   Rob, If you print those pixels dimensions at say 300 ppi (pixels per inch - some commercial printers prefer 360 ppi) you should get 71.37 inches x 3.14 inches (181 cm x 8 cm)  

Geoff.

#50 inyathi

inyathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:49 PM

Thanks @Geoff I had intended to reply earlier but I seem to be having serious trouble with my router at the moment at least I keep getting disconnected from the internet. Just in the last few days I’ve started losing my connection and now it’s more off than on so I can’t do much on the Internet at all at the present. Trying to find a solution online which is what I normally do when I have a computer problem isn’t much help when I can’t stay connected for long enough to do anything it’s looking like a may need to buy a new one even though it’s not that old. If I’m trying to put together a post I may be happily connected at the start but then when I come to click post find I’m no longer connected which gets a little frustrating.  

Going back to my panorama I guess 8 x 181cms could work but if it were properly framed then it would still be around 2 metres in length ideally I think making it just a bit higher than 8cms would be better but then it might no work as one image. Perhaps the answer would be to see if I can workout how to print out a small section of it at that height and see if I’m happy with that, then I might consider getting someone to print it.

More photos from Zakouma

17388606274_e62ff6607a_o.jpg

Black crowned Cranes at Rigueik

18035872751_f076515d66_o.jpg

Black crowned cranes and cattle egrets at Sourane

• Geoff, Patty, Terry and 5 others like this

#51 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:03 PM

~ @inyathi

Never did I imagine that crowned cranes would gather in such numbers.

These two images are extraordinary to one who deems a sighting of three crowned cranes together to be a crowd.

As ever, how little I know. That's why regular enjoyment of Safaritalk posts is educational.

I'm so sorry to hear about your vexing router problems.

We have opposite issues. 

My hardware and connection work very well indeed.

Your local Internet service is unhampered by unacknowledged national policies.

Were we only able to give one another the benefits we respectively enjoy.

Thank you for hoping these images. I hope that your Internet issues will soon be satisfactorily resolved.

Tom K.

• inyathi and offshorebirder like this

#52 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local time: 09:50 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:40 PM

Thanks @Geoff 

Going back to my panorama I guess 8 x 181cms could work but if it were properly framed then it would still be around 2 metres in length ideally I think making it just a bit higher than 8cms would be better but then it might no work as one image. Perhaps the answer would be to see if I can workout how to print out a small section of it at that height and see if I’m happy with that, then I might consider getting someone to print it.

@inyathi  Rob, Yes, I agree that it could do with my height. If you're seriously considering a print, ask around the commercial printers. Some might prefer a file at say 720 ppi, then the pano would be 2.5 feet wide and also find out their file preferences. Some might be happy with a .jpg others will want a .tiff and perhaps 16 bit or in different colour spaces. 

Then of course it all comes down to cost.

Even so It's a fabulous sight when you get to see massive flocks/herds different species. 

• inyathi likes this
Geoff.

#53 offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:14 PM

Here are some American White Pelican photos.   I thought I had posted the first one on ST previously but cannot seem to find it anywhere.

* Click for larger versions.

This one shows a decent flock of American White Pelicans (and Roseate Spoonbills White Ibis and Double-crested Cormorant) at Bear Island Wildlife Management Area in South Carolina:

8110296128_1b564ebcfc_o.jpg

This one may be over on the Birds in Flight thread:

15908007484_e9b12828de_o.jpg

Edited by offshorebirder, 25 April 2016 - 05:14 PM.

• Patty, inyathi, Terry and 3 others like this
https://www.flickr.c...offshorebirder2

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'
John Keats - Ode on a Grecian Urn

#54 offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:17 PM

Here is a Tricolored Heron - formerly known as Louisiana Heron - (Egretta tricolor) at Bear Island Wildlife Management Area in South Carolina.

26557725751_992d746fe1_o.jpg

• Patty, inyathi, Terry and 5 others like this
https://www.flickr.c...offshorebirder2

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'
John Keats - Ode on a Grecian Urn

#55 Terry

Terry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:38 PM

A Green Heron doing his thing - back in the jungle where he thinks no one is watching behind Half Moon Bay in Akumal, on the east side of Mexico.

gallery_22564_1570_55340.jpg

gallery_22564_1570_146240.jpg

gallery_22564_1570_159283.jpg

gallery_22564_1570_39523.jpg

• Geoff, mvecht, inyathi and 4 others like this

#56 Peter Connan

Peter Connan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:52 PM

Love the last one!

• Terry likes this
Ek oefen skelm.

#57 egilio

egilio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:53 AM

And the not so rare Crown crane, with a Puku in South Luangwa, Zambia

Population between 58 000 - 77 000 individuals

Status Endangered

I´ll find it strange that the most common one is the most endangered one...

That's because the status is based on more than just the total number of animals. It also accounts for population trends. Some animals have a naturally small distribution, island endemics for example, so will never reach really high population numbers. If for example the population of a rail on some island has been stable over the last 3 decades, hovering around 500 animals, and another bird's population has dwindled in the same period from 500,000 to 100,000, which one is more trouble? Usually the periods are measured in generation times of the particular species.

There's a similar thing with those cranes (grey crowned and wattled, I don't know too much about the black-necked). The grey crowned is widespread but has undergone considerable population declines, while the wattled crane has a more restrictred distribution and the population trends isn't all that well known. In some areas they seem to be doing well (Okavango, Liuwa), from others virtually nothing is known, but also new populations are discovered (Zambezi delta). 

What worries me most about cranes in Africa is the increase in the use of pesticides and insecticides in areas where cranes are foraging and breeding. This might have a big impact on hatching rates. But as cranes tend to live long and only raise 1-2 chicks each time they breed it might take time for these effects to become noticeable but once they do it's already too late as the old breeding adults die, and are not being replaced by new breeding adults. Much like some of the black cockatoos in Australia.

• Antee likes this

#58 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:33 AM

Black-headed Heron at Lake Nakuru.JPG

Black-headed Heron at Lake Nakuru

Taken on 5 October, 2014 at 10:40 am in Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera with an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens

ISO 125, f/2.8, 1/2000 sec., 400mm handheld Shutter Priority shooting mode in a safari van guided by @Anthony Gitau of Bigmac Africa Safaris.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

~ Lake Nakuru in the morning is typically a low-key experience. Few vehicles around, with both birds and mammals feeding with minimal signs of visitor-induced stress.

We'd been observing a female ostrich crossing the track, when I noticed this Ardea melanocephala, Black-headed Heron, watching us.

• Terry and Peter Connan like this

#59 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:26 AM

Ardea cinerea in Shanghai's Dongtan Nature Reserve.jpg

Ardea cinerea in Shanghai's Dongtan Nature Reserve

Taken on 7 January, 2017 at 3:07 pm in Shanghai's Dongtan Nature Reserve, using an EOS 1D X camera with an EF 400mm f/5.6L super-telephoto lens

ISO 2000, f/5.6, 1/400 sec., 400mm handheld Manual shooting mode during steady rain on a heavily overcast afternoon.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

~ The Yangtze River enters the East China Sea slightly northeast of Shanghai. A long, rectangular island, Chongmingdao, 崇明岛, is at the river mouth, at the eastern end of which is Dongtan Nature Reserve.

While visiting there, this Ardea cinerea, Grey Heron, flew past, its powerful wingbeats carrying it through the downpour. It's reassuring that such a magnificent bird lives not far from a major urban area.

• pault and Peter Connan like this

#60 Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:01 PM

31486212821_9648337b7b_b.jpgHammerkop    Gambia 2016 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Kotu ,The Gambia.

• Peter Connan likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crane, egret, heron, pelican, stork, hamerkop

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.