See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

THE IMPORTANCE OF WILDLIFE CONSERVANCIES IN EXPANDING THE AREA OF PROTECTED HABITAT FOR WILDLIFE IN KENYA

Kenya conservancies Masai Mara

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,486 posts
  • Local time: 11:13 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:38 AM

Tom K, this is a good question..,best way is to ask them directly exactly how much land they are leasing, and how big is their budget for leading. Then Cross check with the Maasai Mara Wildlife Conservancies association/ Northern Rangeland Trust/Laikipia Wildlfie Forum (and I am sure there are associations down in Tsavo as well) or ask at Kenya Wlidlife Conservancy Association.

If the property themselves are not willing to put their answers directly in writing so they can be checked out with the local associations, then they are probably fibbing to get your business.

~ @Calvin

That's just what I needed to know.

I really appreciate your kindness in taking time to respond.

Many Thanks!

Tom K.

#22 JakeGC

JakeGC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Local time: 04:13 PM
  • Category 1:Lodge Owner/Manager
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:47 AM

Do your research before booking; support any camp actually leasing land for wildlife conservancy, and don't support any camp not leasing land even if the 'experience' is supposedly better...

~ @Calvin

May I please ask a question to help me to do as you've kindly suggested?

What's the most effective way for a potential guest to determine whether or not any given camp is leasing conservancy land?

By looking somewhere on the property's own Web site?

By looking at a master Web site of the conservancy itself?

Or by looking at an independent Web site which lists out such ownership?

I apologize for asking, but after thinking about it, I'm uncertain where one might find such vital information.

Tom K.

@Tom Kellie
On our website we have a page which gives details of Olare Motorogi, Naboisho and Ol Kinyei Conservancies and lists the camps which are members of the conservancies and pay towards the lease costs on the basis of 700 acres for every tent in their camp:

http://www.porini.co...sub=maasai-mara
The list includes Calvin's camp in the Olderkesi Conservancy.

Edited by JakeGC, 07 June 2015 - 08:47 AM.

• Tom Kellie likes this
Gamewatcher's Safaris, Kenya:

www.porini.com l Twitter l Facebook

Take a virtual tour of our safari camps.

#23 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:59 AM

@Tom Kellie

On our website we have a page which gives details of Olare Motorogi, Naboisho and Ol Kinyei Conservancies and lists the camps which are members of the conservancies and pay towards the lease costs on the basis of 700 acres for every tent in their camp:

http://www.porini.co...sub=maasai-mara
The list includes Calvin's camp in the Olderkesi Conservancy.

~ @JakeGC

This is exactly what I'd hoped to find.

Many hearty thanks for taking time to post the link for Safaritalk readers.

700 acres for every tent is impressive.

During the past several weeks I've been systematically reading through archived Safaritalk posts.

Whenever Porini is mentioned it tends to be in a very favorable context.

Your thoughtfulness has made a strong impression on me.

I'm an 8-time Kenya safari visitor who'll return for a ninth visit next month.

For future visits I'll actively keep Porini Camps in my mind.

With Much Appreciation,

Tom K.

• JakeGC likes this

#24 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 01:13 AM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:06 AM

Private conservancies have added massively to the wildlife habitat area in the Mara, Laikipia and to a lesser extent around Tsavo

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#25 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:00 AM

Private conservancies have added massively to the wildlife habitat area in the Mara, Laikipia and to a lesser extent around Tsavo

~ @COSMIC RHINO

In your reading and experience, do you feel that Kenya's conservancy concept might ever be adapted to other locales?

Or does it seem like a plan which fits Kenya's unique circumstances but might be poorly suited for elsewhere?

Tom K.

#26 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:54 AM

It would probably be correct to say that conservancies originated around Kruger National Park in Sth  Africa.

They have since spread  to other parts of Sth Africa and other African nations.

They are a good approach to conditions in a variety of places.

when Anna Merz  was looking at with members of the Craig family  into reintroducing rhinos into Lewa Downs in the late 1980.'s , she actively studied how things were done in Sth Africa .  The community support at Lewa has been built up to something which is beyond compare.

• ZaminOz likes this

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#27 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:27 AM

It would probably be correct to say that conservancies originated around Kruger National Park in Sth  Africa.

They have since spread  to other parts of Sth Africa and other African nations.

They are a good approach to conditions in a variety of places.

when Anna Merz  was looking at with members of the Craig family  into reintroducing rhinos into Lewa Downs in the late 1980.'s , she actively studied how things were done in Sth Africa .  The community support at Lewa has been built up to something which is beyond compare.

~ @COSMIC RHINO

Thank you for the conservancy history update.

You've emphasized the necessity of strong community support for a conservancy to flourish.

What else is essential for a conservancy to thrive, in addition to strong, authentic community involvement?

Tom K.

#28 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:47 AM

The area has to be well looked after ,good security , good management, well promoted , priced.  An area where people will want to go.

the people have top realize  the opportunity they have and take it  for their benefit. The people realize this is our jobs, income , chance to get facilities.

They have to be able to negotiate , in 2 of the communities covered by the Nthn Rangelands Trusts  the lodge operator has a medium term lease then hands over full ownership of the lodge to the community.

• Tom Kellie likes this

#29 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:51 AM

The area has to be well looked after ,good security , good management, well promoted , priced.  An area where people will want to go.

the people have top realize  the opportunity they have and take it  for their benefit. The people realize this is our jobs, income , chance to get facilities.

They have to be able to negotiate , in 2 of the communities covered by the Nthn Rangelands Trusts  the lodge operator has a medium term lease then hands over full ownership of the lodge to the community.

~ @COSMIC RHINO

Thank you for explaining that.

Your Lewa experience has provided you with a strong, positive example of a well-run conservancy.

Had I never joined Safaritalk, such possibilities as conservancies would remain unknown to me.

Tom K.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kenya, conservancies, Masai Mara

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.