Show us your shorebirds (waders)

offshorebirder

Love your low-angle style David, excellent photos all of them!

offshorebirder

Day before yesterday I did some early scouting for the McClellanville Christmas Bird Count, of which I am the compiler. For those not familiar with them, CBCs are annual "citizen science" bird counts where field teams cover sections of the 15-mile diameter "count circle" during a 24-hour period.

In recent years, the McClellanville CBC has consistently produced the highest species totals in eastern North America (east of the Mississippi river). This is due to the outstanding habitat, most of which is permenently protected from development and which includes pristine wilderness areas.

My scouting (by boat and then on foot) took place in the remote northern portion of the Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge, a Class 1 wilderness composed mainly of salt marsh, estuaries and beaches. As is often the case, I was amazed at how tame the shorebirds were - presumably because they rarely encounter humans (or dogs) in these isolated stretches. Sanderlings, plovers and Ruddy Turnstones kept walking right up to me - much too close for cameras or binoculars to focus.

A couple of times, I tried to lie down and obtain lower-angle photos, but the movement caused the shorebirds to back off each time. I plan to go back when I have more time to lie down near a group of birds and allow them to work close to me.

I encountered 17 shorebird species and many thousands of individuals. Species included: Black-bellied Plover, Wilson's Plover, Semipalmated Plover, Piping Plover, Spotted Sandpiper, Greater Yellowlegs, Willet, Whimbrel, Long-billed Curlew, Marbled Godwit, Ruddy Turnstone, Red Knot, Sanderling, Dunlin, Least Sandpiper, Western Sandpiper, and Short-billed Dowitcher. Long-billed Curlews are exceedingly rare in eastern North America - the eastern population has never recovered from market gunning / over-hunting durng the 1800s.

Here are a few photos of a friendly Sanderling, and one of a friendly Ruddy Turnstone. I also threw in a photo of a Spotted Sandpiper (winter plumage) that was foraging in beach wrack with the Turnstones, as well as a wide shot of a Long-billed Curlew tucked in among American Oystercatchers at a high tide roost.

22769253203_dd0d7f7e9a_k.jpg

23287957422_bcdd020321_h.jpg

23028433769_d7376b7ed3_h.jpg

23288242212_a6dd2552d0_h.jpg

23100589520_63179efa2c_b.jpg

23100952040_35bb5b9601_o.jpg

Edited by offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Sharp-tailed Sandpipers

Various different birds all photographed at a lagoon at Hemmant in Brisbane, Australia.

Question for you @@theplainswanderer and for @@Geoff as well: is that a salt water / brackish lagoon where the Sharp-tailed Sandpipers were photographed? Do Sharp-tailed Sandpipers like salt water / brackish environs?

I ask because their close cousins, Pectoral Sandpipers, are almost never seen in salt water surroundings here in North America. Almost always shortgrass turf areas or fresh water wetlands...

~ @@offshorebirder

Thank you for the outstanding shorebird images.

The focal distance between lens and subject is remarkably close!

You referred to wanting to lie down to photograph birds.

I'm unfamiliar with such a technique. Do you mean on your stomach on the sand or soil?

If so, is there any mat, or clothing getting dirty is part of the experience?

Tom K.

offshorebirder

~ @@offshorebirder

Thank you for the outstanding shorebird images.

The focal distance between lens and subject is remarkably close!

You referred to wanting to lie down to photograph birds.

I'm unfamiliar with such a technique. Do you mean on your stomach on the sand or soil?

If so, is there any mat, or clothing getting dirty is part of the experience?

Tom K.

Glad you enjoyed the images @@Tom Kellie.

Yes, to get nice perspectives on shorebirds (like @@theplainswanderer does in many of his images), photographers often get prone on the ground to take photos at the level of the subject. And in general, shorebirds allow "short creatures" closer to them than "tall creatures"...

Some shutterbugs I know wear knee pads and elbow pads in anticipation of this. I find that on dry sandy beaches, that the sand brushes off pretty easily (though one has to be careful not to get sand on one's binoculars or camera in the process). But I have been known to get pretty muddy when the need arises - both from lying down and from moving through muddy reeds, etc.

Glad you enjoyed the images @@Tom Kellie.

Yes, to get nice perspectives on shorebirds (like @@theplainswanderer does in many of his images), photographers often get prone on the ground to take photos at the level of the subject. And in general, shorebirds allow "short creatures" closer to them than "tall creatures"...

Some shutterbugs I know wear knee pads and elbow pads in anticipation of this. I find that on dry sandy beaches, that the sand brushes off pretty easily (though one has to be careful not to get sand on one's binoculars or camera in the process). But I have been known to get pretty muddy when the need arises - both from lying down and from moving through muddy reeds, etc.

~ @@offshorebirder

Ah. Now I understand.

You and your birding photography associates have a high level of dedication.

Not only has yours truly never done as you've described, I've never seen anyone else doing so.

Impressive commitment to getting the shot...up close and personal.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this technique.

Tom K.

theplainswanderer

Hi Tom and Nathan,

One of the hardest group of birds to get close to has to be the shorebirds. Many many times when Ive tried to get within a reasonable distance they do the bolt. Certainly Ive found the best way to get close and achieve low profile images is by keeping low to the ground. And the lower the better And this does mean most times I return to the car covered in sand. Roosting shorebirds can be remarkeably tolerant provided you keep very low and take very small gentle movement. Often I slide along on my bum taking short movements forward. I also take images at each stop cause you never know whether it will be your last opportunity! Sometimes I crawl along on my stomach though at my age thats not always something my lower back likes too much! Once the bird get used to your presence its amazing how tolerant they can be ( well sometimes!!)

I do have a skimmer groundpod as well ( https://store.naturescapes.net/the-skimmer-ground-pod-ii/ ) which is a useful way to mount your camera and lens and slide along with you, though I dont always use it. Others use boogy boards and other home made devises. Ultimately though if one can lterally lie on the beach directly at the birds level and have gotten close enough without spoofing the birds one can get nice low profile shots. Of course sand is the most comfortable in some ways - mud and grassy verges much less appealing especially when you crawl over an ants nest which Ive managed a few times!

Photographing birds and animals is such a great pass time and i've learned much from far better photographers than I but the one principal I try to achieve as much as possible is get at the bird or animals level... not always possible of course!

I know its not a shorebird but attached here is an example of what Im always trying to achieve - Brown Quails a seriously tough bird to get close to and even harder low profile! But managed a shot or two recently at a reserve near my home by lying on the ground amongst the ants and bugs!! post-47774-0-03872600-1448910443_thumb.jpg Not the worlds best image but the low profile dynamic was pleasing.

Best regards

David Taylor

theplainswanderer

Red-necked Avocets

Right up there as one of my favourite Australian shorebirds is the resident Red-necked Avocet. Such a superb species! These all taken at a swampy marsh at Hemmant, Brisbane. The still water here allows for some nice reflections in the early morning light. Most of these taken lying in mud!!

post-47774-0-46952800-1448911951_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-88786700-1448911953_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-68254800-1448911956_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-58648200-1448911961_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-23782700-1448911990_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-54294300-1448911997_thumb.jpg

Edited by theplainswanderer

@@theplainswanderer

Beautiful birds. More attractive than the Eurasian Avocet.

Do you get them in large flocks? Occassionally in Denmark we can see up to 5000 Avocets together.

Sharp-tailed Sandpipers

Various different birds all photographed at a lagoon at Hemmant in Brisbane, Australia.

Question for you @@theplainswanderer and for @@Geoff as well: is that a salt water / brackish lagoon where the Sharp-tailed Sandpipers were photographed? Do Sharp-tailed Sandpipers like salt water / brackish environs?

I ask because their close cousins, Pectoral Sandpipers, are almost never seen in salt water surroundings here in North America. Almost always shortgrass turf areas or fresh water wetlands...

@@offshorebirder

Though I most often see Sharpies in brackish lagoons and saltmarshes I've photographed them in saltwater (Port Phillip Bay) too.

If you look back at my Pec Sandpiper images earlier in this thread those shots were taken in a conservation pond (most likely brackish) about 100 metres from the sea.

theplainswanderer

@@theplainswanderer

Beautiful birds. More attractive than the Eurasian Avocet.

Do you get them in large flocks? Occassionally in Denmark we can see up to 5000 Avocets together.

Where I live we only see them in relatively small flocks - I think the most Ive seen is about 30 or 40 together however south-east Queensland where I live is nearing the edge of their range. In southern Australia they are more abundant and on suitable salt pans and estuaries they can be seen in much larger flocks at times numbering many hundreds - not sure Ive heard of flocks here as large as 5000 but may well be instances. Seeing a flock of that size of any bird species would be impressive.

cheers

David Taylor

Hi Tom and Nathan,

One of the hardest group of birds to get close to has to be the shorebirds. Many many times when Ive tried to get within a reasonable distance they do the bolt. Certainly Ive found the best way to get close and achieve low profile images is by keeping low to the ground. And the lower the better And this does mean most times I return to the car covered in sand. Roosting shorebirds can be remarkeably tolerant provided you keep very low and take very small gentle movement. Often I slide along on my bum taking short movements forward. I also take images at each stop cause you never know whether it will be your last opportunity! Sometimes I crawl along on my stomach though at my age thats not always something my lower back likes too much! Once the bird get used to your presence its amazing how tolerant they can be ( well sometimes!!)

I know its not a shorebird but attached here is an example of what Im always trying to achieve - Brown Quails a seriously tough bird to get close to and even harder low profile! But managed a shot or two recently at a reserve near my home by lying on the ground amongst the ants and bugs!!

~ @@theplainswanderer

After reading your post, and considering what @@offshorebirder posted yesterday, it's clear to me that I've scarcely dabbled in bird photography.

The level of your commitment is exemplary!

In the few years during which I've been taking wildlife photos, I've never seen anyone “getting down and dirty”.

Like me, others have invariably been softies, sitting in the comfort of hides, safari vans or in other well-protected venues.

It's no wonder that their images — and mine — lack that zestful reality which yours achieve, as with other dedicated Safaritalk bird photographers.

Thank you so much for taking time to explain your technique, and for sharing the superb Brown Quail image.

With Appreciation,

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie

There are many times after bird photography when i go home absolutely filthy from lying around in stinking mud and muck.

Invariably on those occasions I have a smile on my face as i know I have some good images.

@@Tom Kellie

There are many times after bird photography when i go home absolutely filthy from lying around in stinking mud and muck.

Invariably on those occasions I have a smile on my face as i know I have some good images.

~ @@Geoff

Ha! I'm reading, thinking and learning.

The vision of you mucked up with a few fine keepers on the memory card is compelling.

As this is utterly new to me, your descriptive comment is appreciated.

Step-by-step I'm grasping what compromises with comfort underly many of the delightful wildlife images which are posted.

Until this arose, I hadn't realized what a softie I'd been, far from the Primitive Trail, lounging in a plunge pool!

Thank you for telling this, as there may be others who are likewise unfamiliar with the occupational hazards of bird photography.

Tom K.

Not the worlds best image but the low profile dynamic was pleasing

David, I suspect this may well be the world's best image of brown Quails! Stunning, as are your Avocets.

Edited by Peter Connan

A few more Ruddy Turnstone. Taken over a year ago but just got around to processing.

post-5120-0-90510400-1449006511_thumb.jpg

post-5120-0-53557100-1449006538_thumb.jpg

post-5120-0-01021000-1449006560_thumb.jpg

~ @@Geoff

The pair of limpets, the bits of algae, the small barnacle – they enhance these images.

My students would love such photos as ecological context on a semi-macro scale is visible.

Thinking of what it took for the photographer to make such images...oh my.

What appears to be afternoon lighting adds to the overall beauty.

Thanks for posting these.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

Masked Lapwing (Vanellus miles)

A large shorebird with a spur on the leading edge of the wing. An Aussie wader that is successful in urban areas, they are found in open habitat near water including urban parks, gardens, footy fields, golf courses, vacant blocks of land and paddocks as well as beaches. I often see pairs nesting on grassy road median strips in my town and they also like to nest on flat (usually) tin roofs. They are ferocious defenders of nests & young and will continually dive bomb you until you move away. They can be very noisy and are often heard calling at night with continuous and annoying 'Krek, Krek, Krek' call.

post-5120-0-25643700-1449099665_thumb.jpg

post-5120-0-65191900-1449099696_thumb.jpg

Typical nest

post-5120-0-02850800-1449099863_thumb.jpg

Defensive flight

post-5120-0-81948300-1449100220_thumb.jpg

post-5120-0-42115400-1449100194_thumb.jpg

Beautiful Geoff!

theplainswanderer

Very nice Geoff! Ive been dive bombed on a few occasions by these birds! Very common in Brisbane suburbs.

cheers

David Taylor

theplainswanderer

Red-kneed Dotteral

One of Australias resident shorebirds is the very cute Red-kneed Dotteral. Whilst a resident species they do move according to climatic conditions. They are generally more common away from coastal or near areas. However when conditions are right they can erupt as happened in Brisbane over recent years when they appeared and bred in strong numbers. In one location near me there were dozens of them over an extended period.... then one day they were all gone! Herewith various birds at various locations.

cheers

David Taylor

post-47774-0-40145800-1449175664_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-52242500-1449175669_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-43447300-1449175674_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-81806300-1449175678_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-28996000-1449175683_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-01969400-1449175687_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-78257500-1449175691_thumb.jpg

theplainswanderer

Black-winged Stilts

Common resident shorebird found right across Australia. They are a great bird to photograph and I like reflection shots when they present.

cheers

David Taylor

post-47774-0-84752200-1449176149_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-34520800-1449176154_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-76090800-1449176220_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-55078800-1449176225_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-04760800-1449176231_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-20710100-1449176239_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-30365100-1449176254_thumb.jpg

post-47774-0-20900000-1449176244_thumb.jpg

offshorebirder

Great photos of the Masked Lapwings @@Geoff! And I am glad to hear they are doing well in developed areas. Kind of like Killdeer here it sounds like.

offshorebirder

Wow, @@theplainswanderer - your photos keep getting better and better. It is hard to imagine improving upon the Red-kneed Dotterel photos. They are very near perfect.

And the Stilt photos, particularly the reflection shots are superb as well.

David and @@Geoff are two of the best shorebird photographers I have run across - I am merely paddling in their sizeable wake in this thread.

One meets the coolest people on Safaritalk.

@@offshorebirder Thanks for the kind words but I can think of a few hundred excellent shorebird photographers in Australia and no doubt there are many thousands around the world.