Borneo April 2015: Primates, Pygmy Elephants and much more….

TonyQ

@@Atravelynn

Thank you. Landrico was good fun as well as being very expert (a good combination!). Wildlife viewings were great on the river (and it is nice and cool when you are moving). We were surprised about Orang Utans not swimming (this link shows that some can but that most don't -

http://www.newscientist.com/gallery/orang-utan-water )

I thought all mammals could swim, even though some abhor it. Like me when the water is cold.

Very interesting report, I really enjoyed reading it.

@@kittykat23uk

Thank you - I am glad you enjoyed it as you contributed to the inspiration and planning!

@@xelas

Thank you. We didn't see the Rafflesia (but didn't go looking for it).

@@michael-ibk

Thank you - it is well worth a visit

@@Atravelynn

It seems they are not keen on the water either!

@@Zim Girl

Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed it.

Edited by TonyQ

@@TonyQ

I've been without internet for a few - so am catching up. Loved this report, and most certainly happy you included your 3 days in Kuching. I'd love to spend some time walking through the city. It looks most interesting!

Thoroughly enjoyed this ride with you. Sorry its over; Borneo is somewhere I've not been-- and seems most unique in contrast to Africa safaris. I have so much on my list, if I mention one more......trouble.

Thumbs up :D

Atravelynn

Snails, frogs, millipedes, mating rhinoceros beetles! Though he might have been distant, you got the wild orangutan! Yeah! Nice going with the firebacks. Even gibbons.

Fantastic trip and fantastic report. Thanks!

Edited by Atravelynn

@@graceland

I am glad you have the internet back (we rely on it so much!) - I am pleased you enjoyed the report.

@@Atravelynn

Thank you for your kind comments.

Palm Oil

There is a discussion of Palm Oil and Nutella in the excellent trip report by @michael-ibk

http://safaritalk.net/topic/14605-majestic-moorlands-peaks-and-falls-a-return-to-the-aberdares/page-6

rather than divert his report I have put a few links I was looking at near the end of this post

Palm Oil is so complicated

I do not eat Nutella (not because of Palm Oil but because it is disgusting :) ) - but it appears there are far worse companies

For example PepsiCo is one of the world's biggest users of Palm Oil and there are questions over how fast it is moving towards "sustainable" Palm Oil

("PepsiCo is committed to realizing zero deforestation in our Company owned and operated activities and supply chain by 2020" - what about in the next 5 years?)

http://qz.com/430450/no-you-dont-have-to-boycott-nutella-for-the-environment-says-greenpeace/

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2014/nov/26/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-sustainable-palm-oil

http://www.wwf.org.au/our_work/saving_the_natural_world/forests/palm_oil/what_wwf_is_doing/certified_sustainable_palm_oil/

http://webapi.acceleratemediahub.com/api/simpleFile/DownloadSimpleFiles?applicationToken=rainforestfoundation&authenticationToken=&simpleFileIds=1f160af0-e39e-4599-9cc4-248960a598a4

The last link, although a UK document lists many international products. I think some companies are responding to consumer pressure - so complain and demand improved sustainability.

@@TonyQ, thank you for the links. Some valuable information there,esp. on everyday products using PalmOil,not just Nutella (which I do not care for as well)

Ingredients are either buried or such small type I cannot read them. The lists provided are a great resource to help with decisions in the products we purchase.

Edited by graceland

Atravelynn

Palm oil's impact is cropping up across trip reports. That's how practices slowly change--when there is pressure from consumers.

Anything you'd do differently based on your experiences, @@TonyQ? How did you chose the itinerary you ended up with? Was @@Safari Cal's report your blueprint? Any other spots you considered?

What you did do is copied again, here.

"We booked the Kota Kinabalu and Kuching hotels online. For the middle, wildlife focussed section we booked through Naturalis, a Borneo based company that @Safari Cal uses.

(http://www.naturalis....com/borneo.cfm) (naturalis@naturalis-expeditions.com)

Our main contact was Luca. The company responded well to emails and all of the arrangements went very smoothly. We would use them again."

You chose well and other than having tea with an orangutan, you saw it all!

Will you be going into the leech sock--actually anti-leech sock--business as a sideline now?

Edited by Atravelynn

@@Atravelynn

Thank you for your comments.

Originally we were going to have an itinerary totally focussed on wildlife - but we like travelling in Asia (we have done a lot of independent non-wildlife focussed travel in Asia) and we thought we would like to do more of a mix.

At the early stage of planning we considered Kalimantan (where @Kitsafari has just visited) or Sabah - we chose Sabah.

Originally we had Tabin in the itinerary - following on from @Safari Cal and @kittykat23uk

We decided to removeTabin. We were going to spend only one night at Sepilok, but switched to 2 based on the report by @kittykat23uk and we are glad that we did we really enjoyed the Rainforest Discovery Centre. The choice of the lodges on the Kinabatangan river copied those of @Safari Cal and again we were pleased with that choice.

We briefly considered visiting some islands - but there were security fears on some off the east coast, and the trip to see turtles on an island off Sandakan didn't really grab us.

If planning again as a first trip, I would do the same trip. If going again we wouldn't go to the Rasa Ria but would possibly still rest for a couple of days at Sepilok - staying at Sepilok Nature Resort (well priced, relaxing, very good food). I think out time on the river was about right (but we would have happily extended it). I think there is a better chance of good views of Gibbons at Tabin - but you have to make choices and there is always luck involved. I think we were lucky with the Pygmy Elephants and perhaps not as lucky with the Orang Utans.

I am not sure there is a strong market for leech-socks in the UK :) .

Atravelynn

Thanks for the background. I think you were indeed lucky with the Pygmy Eles, if not your leech-sock venture. Thanks for a comprehensive report that really shows the variety of fascinating wildlife of Sabah.

Safari Cal

Fantastic TR @@TonyQ, you managed to see so much on your holiday. Loved your photos and they all take me right back there. Now I want to go back again! :)

The light in the rainforest is a real issue, even with a 1DX and a 300/2.8 it's a challenge, if I do go back I'll do a bit of research and see where I can use flash next time.

Thanks for posting.

Cal

@@Safari Cal

Thank you - and thank you for the inspiration that led us to go to Borneo! The light at times certainly was very difficult - I look forward to a report on your "next time"!