See all Safaritalk Special Offers

jeremie

African Parks Network first 2015 quarterly report

7 posts in this topic

Here is the 2015 first quarterly report.

It can be seen developments in the newly Gambella area under APN management, progress in the HQ construction and research at Chinko CAR, Zakouma huge communication plan to promote Camp Nomade.

http://africanparksreports.org

Here is the 2014 anual report:

http://www.african-parks.org/xMedia/PDF/AnnualReport/APN_AnnualReport_2014.pdf

2 people like this

Thanks for posting this, Jeremie. Very interesting reading.

AP took part in the conservation lab that was held the day before the We are Africa show in Cape Town. AP's Founder & CEO, Peter Fernhead told the audience that their annual expenses were roughly 200 million USD and their earnings 2 million USD. So anyone who visits any of their parks, whether as a luxury or a budget traveller, is contributing to a worthy cause. I believe that there is enough room in all their parks for both tourism models to co-exist in harmony.

They need an endowment of 600 million USD to be able to function in perpetuity at their existing locations. That is less than the endowments of many elite US colleges! So it can be done - just a question of will...

3 people like this

Until now the main donor of AP is the European Union.

I would love some few millionaires give all their fortune to APN, I am convinced this would completely change the futures of the main African natural areas.

In 2014 Akagera NP generated more than 1MUSD, and is though the first area to make more incomes from park gross revenues than expanses. With the 2015 main objectives, which are reintroductions of lions and rhinos in the park, the park will definitely attract much more top end tourists and we can hope it will help financing other APN parks. Something interesting to see is that roughly half of the visitors are nationals.

Quite funny to see that Rusizi lodge make more than 35% of the park's revenues, while it was not planned APN will have its own lodge.

So it is clear than in a politically stable country, national parks can make benefits. If Rwanda is one of the poorest country on earth, it has a clear vision to promote a green tourism and eco-friendly practices (it's a no-plastic bag country) and this seems to be the key, as Akagera's fauna has still not been yet restored.

I hope Burigi GR will be soon under APN management, resulting in a remarquable expansion of the protected area.

Yeah, he did mention that the majority of the visitors at Akagera were local. That is such a promising trend for Africa. All good with APN :)

@@jeremie

There are already several private donors, and they are expanding (and more needed!). For instance, Camp Nomade's set up was bought thanks to the funds of a private donation. I know there are some big private donors for Odzala Kokoua. And I am sure there are other instances I am not aware of.

Then each park has different challenges, opportunities and source of income - there is not a single model, but it all depends upon the actual situation, and there lies one of the several brilliances of AP (in a small, densely populated country as Rwanda, you can promote local tourism; in Bangweulu you have to rely on trophy hunting and so forth)

If one goes to AP's website donating is very easy, and you can choose directly what park or project you want to contribute to. It is literally just a click away, and all you donate goes to that park, and not for covering overheads or other expenses of the general organization.

http://www.african-parks.org/Donating+to+African+Parks.html

Just click "donate now" on the top right of the page, and then it is very straightforward.

1 person likes this

I would love some few persons like Van Vlissingen give their fortune to APN. The current portfolio needs 200 MUSD to ensure 10 years of operations without considering special projects.

I would love some few persons like Van Vlissingen give their fortune to APN. The current portfolio needs 200 MUSD to ensure 10 years of operations without considering special projects.

That would certainly be auspicable.

However, before asking others to dispossess themselves of their estates in favour of APN, it might be more practical to contribute directly to APN (through their website or otherwise) - big or small, any contribution iwill go to support valuable projects.

Whilst it is nice to talk on forums like this, it brings nothing to those doing actual conservation work on the ground.

2 people like this