Kgalagadi Summer: Self-Drive and Self-Catering (!) in South Africa, January 2015

Tdgraves

@@Tdgraves luckily we got the cooler back long before Kgalagadi and the first time we went there. September 2014, it didn't get lost at all we were also surprised how early other guests retired to bed. Those night skies get better towards midnight. Maybe see you there next September which will be our second visit next year. Can't stay away. Pen

Cool flying sand grouse. That mongoose was so nicely posed. Oh my, brown hyena! The various waterhole shots are great, even the Secretary Birds! Active oryx and you caught it all. More around every corner it seems!

Edited by Atravelynn

Peter Connan

Great summary thank you!

I really enoyed the whole report. Lovely trip!

Next step: camping?

Great summary thank you!

I really enoyed the whole report. Lovely trip!

Next step: camping?

No ****ing way!!

Too hot and dusty. No room to relax

I have some standards.....

;)

Peter Connan

:o

:D

But that does prevent you from enjoying the marvels that are Rooiputs and Polentswa...

Edited by Peter Connan

I'll catch up on this in full later, but I am definitely not going to forget it now. What a great start @Tdgraves Chapeau! (Seeing as it is Tour de France time)

• 3 weeks later...
anthracosaur

@@Tdgraves

Terrific TR! I'm going to Cape Town for a conference in 2016 and I've been trying to figure out what safari to sneak in once my talk is over. You may have given me an idea!

The profile shots of the wildcat really show off its long-legged build.

You are right, the monochromatic wildebeest photos worked especially well!

Other than those legs, it hard to see any difference between the wildcat and the domestic cat. So similar. That lion-blocker missed the more elusive wildcat, as it should be!

Your birds in action shots are superb!

Edited by Atravelynn

• 2 months later...

What an amazing trip and report @@Tdgraves! I did go through kind of quickly, but definitely I will be back for a detailed read. Many amazing photos, including great BIF ones! Thanks for sharing this!

• 3 months later...

@@Tdgraves - Excellent TR - and stunning photos. Really liked some of the Cheetah, Yellow Mongooses and the Jackal. Great advice about planning a trip to KTP. Hoping to travel there for the first time later this year - so really enjoyed your TR.

• 2 months later...

@@Tdgraves , Fantastic trip report, with many great photos: the flight picture of the Goshawk, the Cheeta portraits, the Honey Badger and some beautiful B&W pics! We are hoping to see some of your beauties next year, but we still need to do a lot of research and planning. The Kgalagadi seems like a magical place, though!

Kind regards,

Peter