Info needed; 05 Road South Luangwa

sylvia000

Hello,

I hope someone can give me some advice information about the 05 road through south luangwa.

I allready found the GPS coordinates and read a few articles of people who allready driven this road.

The people in the articles are doing the route from Mpika to Mfuwe but we would like to drive the opposite route.

From Mfuwe to Mpika; so we will be going up the escarpment.

We read there is a stretch from about 10 km what will be a thricky part.

We will be going at the end of July with 1 vehicle ( Toyota Hilux )

Do you think this route is adviasble with 1 vehicle?

Otherwise we will do the road through North luangwa, but this will take much longer.

KaingU Lodge

Hi Sylvia,

I have done the road - one vehicle, just the two of us in late October - there had been a little bit of rain.

It was a real adventure! At the end of July it (the river crossings) will be fine.

The escarpment is a bit tricky - but easier to go up than down. I would NOT want to pull a trailer up (although some do....). It is really a 1st gear, low ratio climb, watching carefully for rocks that might snag the underside of the car. But stunningly scenic.

You will be fine I am sure. What I would do though is tell the scouts at the Mfiuwe entrance that you are taking that road, at least someone then knows your route. Other basic precautions - take lots of spare water and if you do have a problem stay with your car and do not try to walk out for help. At that time of year it would not be long until another self driver comes along... but like I say take lots of water so that in a worst case you can wait it out for a day or two...

There is a very apocryphal tale in the Bradt guide of people doing it in an unsuitable vehicle after the rains have started and getting into real trouble. Late July is a different game though.

Hello, Kaingu Lodge,

Thank you very much for your response, very helpfull

• 8 months later...