See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Victory Wallace, Zikomo Safari Camp, South Luangwa, Zambia

Zambia South Luangwa interview

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,723 posts
  • Local time: 03:59 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

@zikomosafari that's a heartwarming and encouraging story. i know that interaction with the wild is often frowned upon because of the high chance of the mother rejecting the baby. but you obviously know the ways of the bush by heart and having the mum walking the baby out must have been the best reward for taking care of it and giving it another chance at life. Thank you for doing it! 

Edited by Kitsafari, 30 March 2015 - 09:26 AM.

#22 graceland

graceland

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,379 posts
  • Local time: 03:59 PM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:57 AM

Dear Graceland,

Please let me know about your plans to return to South Luangwa because I've been there twice. I'll be returning there as well as North Luangwa this year.

Thank you so Optig; I know you've been around the block in Africa and when we put it on paper, I will run it by you :D

Changes in my family may put off some long term plans for the moment; but there are always places that stick hard that I'd like to experience. 

The more personal a camp becomes, i.e. interviews, postings on ST; the more I am drawn in!

Esp. with shots of those adorable cubs, or even the camp in general as ZIKOMOSAFARI shows on this thread.

#23 tony hunstiger

tony hunstiger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Local time: 09:59 AM
  • Category 1:Lodge Owner/Manager
  • Category 2:---

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:40 PM

Hello Victory,

Is it possible to drive through the park to your lodge?  No

Or is the only way to reach the lodge by the tar road from Mfuwe?  Yes

If we camp at your lodge and want to self drive where are the best areas to drive?  There is a salt pond and there are several lagoons.  I attached a map, and camp guides can direct you further.

Where do we cross the river to come into the park?  The main entrance to the park is in Mfuwe.  There is another entrance near the camp, Milyoti Gate.

If we pay the park fees in the morning at the Mfuwe area and come in the afternoon to your lodge and want to self drive in the park we don t need to pay fees for that day annymore is that correct? I will check on this. 

Hope to hear from you, greetings

Hello Sylvia,

Victory is making the long flight from CA to Zambia.  She is unable to respond to you immediately.  I attempted to answer as best I can. 

She will follow up later with more information.

Regards,

Tony Hunstiger

!!Map.jpg

#24 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,723 posts
  • Local time: 03:59 AM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:03 AM

@tony hunstiger that's a brilliant map - at least for me! now i can truly pinpoint where the camp is. It's in the southern part of Nsefu. When we were there, we spent most of our time at the northern part and only cruise into the southern side when we had to cross the river back to Mchenja. the sightings of leopards were awesome, and there were a  lot lions in the southern side. The hot springs is a beautiful place to linger at to watch the birds. We were disappointed to have missed the dogs, but well luck was not in our corner for dogs during that trip!

#25 tony hunstiger

tony hunstiger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Local time: 09:59 AM
  • Category 1:Lodge Owner/Manager

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:20 AM

Kitsafari,

I am glad you appreciate the map.  It's about the best I have found for the area.  Google has not quite got it yet.

I spent three weeks in the area in May 2013. 

We would start out at the hot springs, which I referred to as a salt pond in my last post.  The spring bubbles out of the ground.  It is salt water.

Then we would make our way down to the river and over to the lagoons. 

We saw many elephants, zebra, impala, kudu, puku and eland.  There were baboons, lions, leopards, hyenas, cape buffalo, wildebeest and so many birds.  I missed the wild dogs also.

We would drive all day and only see a few other game drive vehicles.

I would recommend this wild part of Africa to anyone.

• Kitsafari likes this

#26 Chilu

Chilu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 11:59 AM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:34 PM

Hello Victory,

Is it possible to drive through the park to your lodge?

Or is the only way to reach the lodge by the tar road from Mfuwe?

If we camp at your lodge and want to self drive where are the best areas to drive?

Where do we cross the river to come into the park?

If we pay the park fees in the morning at the Mfuwe area and come in the afternoon to your lodge and want to self drive in the park we don t need to pay fees for that day annymore is that correct?

Hope to hear from you, greetings

Park fees is charged per person per day, the fee is valid for South Luangwa  for onr day which includes Nsefu sector

#27 sylvia000

sylvia000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Local time: 08:59 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:28 AM

Hello Tony and Newbie, thank you very much for answering my questions, great,

The map is also very handy.

Happy easter!

#28 KaliCA

KaliCA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local time: 02:59 PM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 12:21 AM

Thanks for the great interview and putting a face, so to speak, to a safari camp. It is really heart-warming to read of all the challenges and how you persevered. Very admirable and I am sending you my respect.
I'm so lucky that a fellow Forumites recommended your camp to me and now that I have read all this background information on the "birth" and "labor" of getting it started and keeping it going, I'm all the more excited to have Zikomo on my plan for three nights in August 2016. Although, it is camping only.
Can you describe the campsite and its facilities when you get a chance?
Thanks for the incredible lion cub rescue story. However were you able to feed Lily without touching her and passing human scent to her?

#29 marg

marg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Local time: 12:59 PM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:59 AM

@optig...when and where?

#30 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:31 AM

Dear Marg,

My e-mail is Spence19251@gmail.com if nothing else I'd love to talk to you over the phone.

Best regards,Owen

#31 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 18 April 2015 - 02:54 PM

Dear Marg,

I received your e-mail,but for some reason or other I didn't get your e-mail address. Please send it to me here on Safaritalk. I'll also be in South Luangwa in August. I'll tell you more later.

Best regards,Owen

#32 marg

marg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Local time: 12:59 PM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 03:09 PM

@optig...I sent a pm to you.

#33 jeremie

jeremie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Local time: 04:59 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:08 PM

Thank you so much for this great interview!

Congratulations to Victoria and David for your conviction and perseverance, this is amazing you have been able to fulfill your dream  in these hostile conditions!

I will send you one mail I am highly interested in developing my own lodge, your experience will certainly be an amazing help!

Cheers

Jeremie

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Zambia, South Luangwa, interview

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.